The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
National Play An Ovation Week

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-02 8:39 AM (#200210)
Subject: National Play An Ovation Week

Whatcha think about this:

Have Ovation start a National Play An Ovation Week ... in all of the dealers in the US, set aside one-week and advertise for guitar players to come on in and play any Ovation they want (plugged in and un-plugged)... maybe give out free stuff (guitarists will travel miles for free stuff)...

If they are honest, when they play an Ovation, they will be converted like me!

maybe this would help the reputation misconceptions...

Ovation Staff thoughts?

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-02 8:54 AM (#200211 - in reply to #200210)
Subject: Re: National Play An Ovation Week

At least one of the authorized dealers in the Netherlands last year there was the 'Ovation Roadshow' week. They had all production models in the store to try for one week in their store and someone to answer questions. Isn't this what you mean?

For those who read dutch:

http://www.rockpalace.com/nieuws/index.asp?NieuwsID=386

Martin
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-02 9:03 AM (#200212 - in reply to #200210)

Martin, thanks... my computer seems to spell by itself! Fixed it...

Ovation Roadshow! I like it!!! Great Idea...

Ovation Marketing: Are you listening???

tim
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-12-02 9:46 AM (#200213 - in reply to #200210)

This is a great idea ... except ... Ovation is a (relatively) small company with probably only a handful of people who can be mobilized for such an effort.

However ... there are hundreds of knowledgable, dedicated Ovationites scattered across the US (and internationally) who could be mobilized for an effort of this magnitude ...

IMHO, this is a call to action for the OFC. If Ovation can front the goodies, organize a web-based "training seminar" for us, the OFC can put a lot of people on the street and into music stores across the globe for a "love that Ovation" event. It'll take some planning and coordination, but it would be emminently do-able.

Waddaya think?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-02 12:59 PM (#200214 - in reply to #200210)

Ovation have a roadshow. Matt Smith does Ovation dealer clinics regularly in the USA & UK. I attended one of Matt's "Chop Shops" last week.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-02 6:17 PM (#200215 - in reply to #200210)

I think that Ovation would (justifiably) be reluctant to deputize a large number of non-employees, no matter how well-intentioned, to represent them at music stores across the country. Any possible misunderstandings would not be good PR.

However, one can do a similar thing now without an event...if you are in a music store and a situation arises where you can portray Ovation guitars in a positive light....do so! A happy customer with experience can sometimes influence a sale.
Lightfoot
Posted 2003-12-02 8:48 PM (#200216 - in reply to #200210)

Old Applause Owner, Do you really think they wouldn't go for it because of the potential problems? Or is it because they didn't think of it first!
Tim Chapman, Good luck in getting the staff to answer. There must be a corporate gag order because they never respond. And boy is that stupid! You ever notice how much you learn when you talk with someone rather then just listen to someone. Of course, maybe they think they know it all and have nothing to gain.
willard
Posted 2003-12-02 9:51 PM (#200217 - in reply to #200210)

Lightfoot,
"They" read and respond all the time. You just don't know who they are.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-03 7:53 AM (#200218 - in reply to #200210)

I agree with Willard... "They" are there... but they also have other duties (like designing/making very nice guitars)!

One thing that intrigues me is the Roadshow concept. Is that a UK/Europe thing or do they have one here in the US?

I work in the Engineering field (municipal water suply infrastructure) and we have pump vendors who drive around the Country with a Semi-truck/tractor giving "walk-thru" demos of their pumps. It is always a favorite and quite impressive.

Perhaps an Ovation rig that stops off at local dealers to showcase the guitars. Have demos and hands-on interface with the public, give free tee-shirts/ballcaps/picks/pictures of Al,.... :p

whatchathinkaboutthat?

tim
alpep
Posted 2003-12-03 8:06 AM (#200219 - in reply to #200210)

Matt Smith does the chop shops and a component of the chop shop is that the dealer has guitars for people to try.
Although I have never been to a chop shop I have seen Matt play numerous times and believe me if he does not get your attention playing ovation and hamer guitars NO ONE WILL!!!!!

Givsung has a big semi that carries around a bunch of custom shop guitars fliers and has stations with pods where people can play them. I have seen this van at many guitar shows and namm shows.

These types of things work well in the off seasons when you need to drag people into the store. It is a good idea but Ovation does already have Matt in place to demo the guitars.

As for photos of me, do you really think the general public is ready for that?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-03 8:23 AM (#200220 - in reply to #200210)

As for pictures of Al, there are many young people out there who really like that "outlaw" look....
"...look at the gnarly dude who plays these guitars! they MUST be cool!..."

well, maybe not....

tim
cliff
Posted 2003-12-03 8:46 AM (#200221 - in reply to #200210)

"...look at the gnarly dude who plays these guitars! they MUST be cool!..."

As long as they crop the bottoms of the pictures off so that his fuzzy bunny slippers dont show.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-03 11:19 AM (#200222 - in reply to #200210)

I attended Matt's Chop Shop (have pictures in my gallery) earlier this year. The Chop Shop was great. They did have several different Ovations to play, all price ranges.
The one I went to was in Sherman, Texas, an hour plus drive from where I live in Ft. Worth. I did wonder why there wasn't one somewhere in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex (over 5,000,000 people!).
I talked to my locally owned small business Ovation seller and told him I went to the Chop Shop in Sherman and asked why he didn't sponsor one. At the Sherman one they raffled off a Celebrity that cost $5.00 for the raffle ticket. There were 13 people in attendance. My local guy said he would have to have charged $50.00 with that amount of attendance to break even. So I guess the Sherman guys lost money on the deal.
I played the Adamas they had there
~~~SWEEET
:cool:
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-03 5:58 PM (#200223 - in reply to #200210)

Ovations UK distributor sponsors the Chop Shops over here, the one I went to last week was out in the sticks but there was probably 40-50 people, and there was a free draw for a Legend.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)