The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Damn this bleeding heart! Tour idea..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-02 10:39 AM (#200194)
Subject: Damn this bleeding heart! Tour idea..

Hey Gang-

I haven't been posting much...and now when I have the urge...it's becuase my bleeding heart gets the best of me. Call it the holiday spirit...

This OFC tour coming up is quite a GENEROUS event on behalf of Ovation. It's not costing us anything, really, but travel and hotel expenses. So I thought, wouldn't it be cool if we took up a $5 collection (optional, of course) per person, and donate it to a local food shelter there on behalf of Ovation and the OFC. $5 bucks is nothing to miss, really, but if 200 of us are there, who pitch in, that's $1000...which is a nice donation for a days visit.

I thought it would be a great way to say thanks as a group, while doing something simple but very positive for the community there, and it would be a great reflection on the spirit of the OFC. We receive SO much from the friendships and info available to us here, why not selflessly do something a little generous as a group?

So, I'm putting the idea out there. I would be willing to do what I can to locate a shelter or foodbank in town there, and deliver the donation while we're there.

Any thoughts?

Johnny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-12-02 10:57 AM (#200195 - in reply to #200194)
Subject: Re: Damn this bleeding heart! Tour idea..

I'm in. Maybe also consider an AIDS hospice.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-02 11:09 AM (#200196 - in reply to #200194)

Great idea!
cliff
Posted 2003-12-02 11:33 AM (#200197 - in reply to #200194)

Being that (from what I've been led to believe) Connecticut has the highest "income per capita" in the country, . . . do they even HAVE food shelters there?? From what I always thought, even then the skankiest hookers in CT don't have "crabs" . . . . . . . they got LOBSTERS!!! :D

But seriously John, I do realize that in this day and age, unfortunately just about every community has to have a food pantry/shelter. I think your suggestion is both a noble and generous one and I would gladly participate. You just have to keep a couple things in mind: Tour attendance I believe is limited to 150 people, so if you got 100% attendance AND 100% participation, you'd only yield $750. That'd be a "perfect" scenario. Now factor in "reality". As much as I'd LOVE to see the Tour get "maxxed-out", I doubt if it would happen. Then I doubt that everyone'd wanna contribute. When I tried something similar to this here about a year and a half ago, I ended up with a major ulcer trying to "chase down" pledges and ended up covering the shortfall myself. However, I also found that there are quite a LOT of generous individuals here that are willing to help.

My suggestion:
Get a big, clear sealed container (watercooler bottle) with a whole in the top big enough so that only a rolled-up bill (of any denomination) can be put in (and not readily removed) and have it conspicuously placed at the desk where we sign in and get our badges. That way would-be contributors could donate (or not) discreetly any amount they choose. When all's said and done, you can just present the entire sealed bottle to a pre-arranged person of authority at the shelter.

Considering what we spend at the hotel bar there, I don't think anyone'd mind having one less drink and chucking a bill (or two) in instead. Besides, they'll feel better in the morning (in more ways than one!) ;)
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-02 12:28 PM (#200198 - in reply to #200194)

Good idea. I will not be able to attend. However, if someone reposts this several weeks prior to the tour, I will be happy to mail a check for $5-10 as my contribution. If they want it now, send an address. If we used the OFC Store w/PayPal - my assumption is that PayPal costs the OFC. I would be willing to add the additional ? 5-10% PayPal cost.
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-02 12:43 PM (#200199 - in reply to #200194)

Cliff-

Thanks for the suggestions...that's exactly the way I was planning to go (having a water jug type thing)-maybe in the lunch room or something. There's no way the pledge thing was in my consideration...that's just hell waiting to happen. Keeping it simple is the ONLY way to make these things work.

I was just "putting it out there" to see if it would even interest anyone at all before I go sorting details. I also didn't know if the idea is kosher with Al and Miles or Ovation. I don't want to step on any toes...just had an idea and was looking for feedback/input. It just may not be realistic or doable.

CT tends to have wealthier communities...again, I don't know what that means in terms of homeless-those statistics seem to be shocking regardless of how wealthy an area is. Again, it could go to an AIDS shelter (as suggested), I'm not picky. If enough of us were interested, I would make an effort to make something available.

Johnny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)