The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Glen Campbell 1618

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

xnoel
Posted 2003-12-03 6:40 AM (#200181)
Subject: Glen Campbell 1618

I have been looking for a 12 string. Found a Glen Campbell 1618. In searching the fan club data base, I was surprised that no mention was made of this particular model. It is a slot head, signed truss rod cover. Ovation site says top is "spruce" no grade designation. It does have a crack in the top, about 6 inches long from the bridge toward the end.
Anything I should know, either positive or negative?
Seller is asking $400.00, case included.

Thanks Noel
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-03 7:39 AM (#200182 - in reply to #200181)
Subject: Re: Glen Campbell 1618

Noel,

There's lots of discussion on this board about the 1618. But everyone just calls it the "Glen Campbell 12 String". Try searching on that, or also try "GC12". It's a great guitar, wihtout question my favorite Ovation 12 string. At one time I actually had four of them (don't ask why). I think there is a photo of them in my gallery. The price you quoted sounds right - I would n't pay much more. The crack from the bridge to the edge is pretty common on this model. As long as it is just cosmetic I would nto worry about it. You might ask the seller to make two measurements for you - measure the distance of the high and low E strings from the top of tghe wooden bridge, abnd measure the ditance of the same strings from the top of the 12th fret. This will give you some idea of the neck angle and action. From my experience with these guitars the neck is rock solid, but it's always good to ask.

Dave
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-03 8:05 AM (#200183 - in reply to #200181)

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. Since I can lay hands on this guitar, I can check it over. It was not in good tune, and the strings were old, so I could not get as good an idea of the sound as I would have liked.

Probably will have to go back and "caress" it some more.

Again thanks, Noel
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-03 8:37 AM (#200184 - in reply to #200181)

Noel:

Dave is spot on on his comments ("ditance"?). If you like it with old strings, you'll be amazed at how good it sounds with new strings. In my experience, this new vs. old strings on the slothead Ovation 12's make a huge difference in the sound. For a long time, the only slothead 12's I ever played were used ones in guitar stores with dead strings. Never cared for them. Then in May of this year, I played one or two of Dave's with good strings. Amazing difference. Now I own one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)