The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Paris Hilton The simple life

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-08 2:06 PM (#200111 - in reply to #200086)
Subject: Re: Paris Hilton The simple life

As far as I can tell, Cliff never jokes. He's the most serious guy I know.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dan R.
Posted 2003-12-08 2:10 PM (#200112 - in reply to #200086)

Mark,
Excellent Post.

I would welcome discussion about the Lies! And how Dick Cheney's Halliburton got the contract to rebuild Iraq, before the war even started. Now they are being investigated for price gouging. What a surprise.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-08 2:14 PM (#200113 - in reply to #200086)

I'm holding my tongue.....

Because I know you guys are right. Clinton lied when he said in 1997 that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. I know that the weapons inspectors lied about the same thing before they were kicked out by Saddam. I know that John Kerry, Ted Kennedy and others were lying when they supported Clinton saying the same thing. I know that the U.N. must have been bullshitting us by telling us that Iraq violated 17 different U.N. directives after surrendering in 1991. I know that the press must have been lying when they reported that Saddam had tried to assasinate a former U.S. President. And It's a fact that the press lied when they reported that Saddam killed hundreds of thousands of his own people.

I know that those were the lies that were told. So, you guys are right. Now I'm outta here for a few days. I really hate these kind of discussions. And I also hate it when it's implied that I might not think and feel these things deeply because I'm not a vet.

See you guys later when we're back to guitars.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-08 2:21 PM (#200114 - in reply to #200086)

must be hard typing like that.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-08 3:04 PM (#200115 - in reply to #200086)

I studied political sciend in college. I never talk about politics with anyone.

I suggest you take this off the board and into private e mail.
willard
Posted 2003-12-08 3:24 PM (#200116 - in reply to #200086)

Lets start talking religion. It might be less controversial.
Slipkid
Posted 2003-12-08 3:42 PM (#200117 - in reply to #200086)

Let's not let our differences detract from what we all have in common here. There is plenty of other places to do that.
Now.....lets get back to bashing those $%*& Korean guitars. (tounge firmly in cheek)
Brad
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-08 3:44 PM (#200118 - in reply to #200086)

With all the BS in the world I'd rather discuss more intellectual topics such as...

[list]

[*]Paper or Plastic ?
[*]Ginger or Marianne ?
[*]Ketchup or Vinegar ?
[*]Adamas I or Adamas II ?
[*]Gin or Vodka ?

[/list]
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-08 3:46 PM (#200119 - in reply to #200086)

Marianne

Vodka
an4340
Posted 2003-12-08 3:49 PM (#200120 - in reply to #200086)

Al,

You're right.
And on a non-sequitar, if anyone is interested, The Committments is a good movie. I saw it this weekend. Putting a band, or any group of humans, together is sometimes like herding cats. Sometimes the results are beautiful though.

Rick
WAOvation
Posted 2003-12-08 11:25 PM (#200121 - in reply to #200086)

How about those Red Socks?! Craig
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-09 1:07 AM (#200122 - in reply to #200086)

Miles

You forgot the official New Mexico question:

RED OR GREEN?

For those unfamiliar, it has to do with enchiladas.

I hope I didn't start any fistfights with such a controversial question.

Bailey
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-09 5:09 AM (#200123 - in reply to #200086)

Heck with "Ginger or Marianne?"......my question is "McMurphy or K.C.?"!!!! (from the old TV show "China Beach") Can't lose either way.......

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-09 4:19 PM (#200124 - in reply to #200086)

Guys, I didn't mean to start anything.

Miles, I liked what you said about music stirring emotions. It allows us to express ourselves... much like writing which is another passion of mine. A few weeks ago I was looking into Dave's Josh White. I'm a curious person by nature and love to learn so I wanted to find out more about Ovation's first endorsee. I did some reading and ordered "Free and Equal Blues". I wanted to hear what the man had to say through his music. He wasn't just a blues or folk singer...many of his songs as well as the things he did outside of music were politically motivated. He was a civil rights activist. Jimmy Cliff whose music I love was much the same way. A lot of singers once sang about the polical climate of the day and many, like Josh White, were blacklisted for the things they did. More recently it's been the Dixie Chicks, Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, Sean Penn and many others who have been called "unamerican" for having the courage to take a stand and say "this is wrong!" It seems sometimes like we are in a modern day McCarthy era.

Paul (moody)...man, I didn't mean to get you worked up. I'll (try to) leave the politics out of my posts. I could say a lot more about why I posted what I did but I'll let it go. If you ever really want to discuss any of this privately, just drop me a line.

peace,
mark
cliff
Posted 2003-12-09 4:37 PM (#200125 - in reply to #200086)

". . . Dixie Chicks, Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, Sean Pean . . ."

And most recently rapper Eminem.
Evidently, a line from one of Eminem's lyric(?) was taken as a threat against the President.

When Bush was informed that Eminem had made a threat against him, he asked:

"The red one or the yellow one?"

sorry. . . . . I just hadda "go there" ;)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-09 5:04 PM (#200126 - in reply to #200086)

I personally am down on the Dixie Chicks...not so much for what they said, but how and when they chose to say it...in a public forum outside the United States, at a sensitive point near the beginning of the war.

I firmly believe in their right to their opinion and the freedom to speak it, but freedom also brings with responsibility, and I thought that they were a little irresponsible by their (well, actually Natalie Maines') action happening when and where it did. They also need to realize that freedom of speech includes the freedom of other people to not agree with them.

That said, I like their music......and I'll get over the comment. Their song "Traveling Soldier" makes their point far more elequently than their words ever could have. If they had just played that song and not said ANYTHING.......

I believe it was Pete Seeger who had the sign on his guitar, "This machine kills fascists". The power of music.....

Roger

play4fun
Posted 2003-12-09 5:37 PM (#200127 - in reply to #200086)

Just one little comment here..I too am passionate about politics but I won't go into that..I just hope all of you who feel strongly actually bother to go out and vote. I've talked to a lot of opinionated people who don't...I like to tell them if they don't vote,their opinion doesn't matter.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-09 6:25 PM (#200128 - in reply to #200086)

Originally posted by Old Applause Owner:

I believe it was Pete Seeger who had the sign on his guitar, "This machine kills fascists". The power of music.....

Actually it was Woody Guthrie. Crap brit Dylan-wannabe Donovan ripped it off and had the phrase "This Machine Kills" on his guitar, which is just fence-sitting and the mark of a man lacking the courage of his convictions.

It would appear that from a political & philosophical standpoint, Woody & Natalie have something in common.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-09 6:44 PM (#200129 - in reply to #200086)

*shaking my head...trying hard not to grin at Cliff*

Roger...Natalie Maines admitted that she should have handled that situation differently. She made the comment during a very emotional time when millions of people around the world were protesting what we were about to do...I was one of them. Personally, I love the fire in her spirit and agree about Travelin Soldier...it's a great song and I think it was really hurting her that we were about to create more unnecessary pain and heartache.

If you are going to talk about responsibility in the things we say, we need to include the President. You should read an article a retired master sergeant (whose son is in Iraq) wrote about Bush's "Bring Em On" remark. It was considered extremely insensitive and irresponsible by most in the armed forces any many in the media...and this is just one of many examples of the things he has said.

"Bring 'Em On?"
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-09 6:49 PM (#200130 - in reply to #200086)

Mark:

We'll let it lie. There's nothing wrong with passionate feelings and it appears that we both have them. Much better than living a life with no passion.

Somebody just made a comment about voting. I would suspect that Mark is like me and never misses a chance to vote. It's one of my favorite things to do. Sometimes, I wish I lived in Chicago where the motto is "Voter early, vote often".

Back to guitars. I just saw the Made In American tape on Ovations. Looks like a cool new pre amp, the OP Pro, and it looks like Ovation is going back to truss rod covers. Next year ought to be fun. Can't wait to get to NAMM and see the new equipment.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-09 9:37 PM (#200131 - in reply to #200086)

Thanks to Paul T., it was indeed Woody Guthrie whose guitar "killed fascists". I didn't know Donovan had done a variation on it.

Yes, let's go back to guitars......in what part of the Made In America program was the new electronics shown? I didn't see it. The new guitars with truss rod covers look cool, I'm looking forward to seeing them in the shops.

Roger

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)