The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Let's stop discussing marketing

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-04 2:07 AM (#200049)
Subject: Let's stop discussing marketing

Well, I think the topic says it all. In the last few weeks I think about 15 topics were about the marketing policies of Ovation and the quality of Celebrity, Ovation and Adamases.

For their price, all three brands are equal or better than their competition. The way Kaman chooses to market their products is their choice.

I think it's clear not everybody on this board agrees with their policy.

I would humbly like to ask you to stop discussing the subject, because AFAIC all that should be said has been said, and i'm pretty sure all that should be heard is heard as well.

I noticed my curiosity about the new topics etc. is declining because of the ongoing discussion about marketing, and I'm sure there are many who agree.

Maybe some like to keep on bringing up the subject, i don't want to offend people, we have freedom of speech etc.

It's just becoming sooo boooooooooorrrrriiiiiinnnngggg

Had to get it of my chest,

Cheers,

Martin
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-04 5:44 AM (#200050 - in reply to #200049)
Subject: Re: Let's stop discussing marketing

Martin, I think the reason it keeps coming up is that there is some frustration with the policies that Ovation is following and a desire to communicate that, if not to Kaman, at least to comiserate with the rest of the membership.

But I think you're right, it has been done to death for a while....and we can't change anything. I think we should wait until "the new direction" is announced, whenever it happens.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-04 7:43 AM (#200051 - in reply to #200049)

It is a passionate subject. I think it is unfair to ask people to stop talking about it. Some ideas have been borrowed from the HFC and implemeted.

bottom line if it is boring move on to the next thread.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-04 7:50 AM (#200052 - in reply to #200049)

Martin,

I agree with you, so here is my LAST comment on the subject:

Those who will be attending the Factory Tour next year: Please march into their office and tell them about our concerns... with a scruffy/unruly mob invading their office, they WILL SUBMIT!!! ehehhahahahahahhahh... oops, sorry..

tim
cliff
Posted 2003-12-04 8:20 AM (#200053 - in reply to #200049)

" . . . march into their office and tell them about our concerns . . ."

Providing they are actually IN their office(s)!
(They weren't last time).

"What if there IS no tomorrow . . .
. . . there wasn't one TODAY!"
- Bill Murray "Groundhog Day"
alpep
Posted 2003-12-04 8:46 AM (#200054 - in reply to #200049)

In all fairness Cliff, the people you probably want to talk to are in Bloomfield not in New Hartford.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-04 8:53 AM (#200055 - in reply to #200049)

Yeah Al, you're right.
But I(we) travelled a much greater distance
(and at least made the effort).

I know, I'll shut up now.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-04 8:57 AM (#200056 - in reply to #200049)

No offense to Martin or others who feel the same way, but I have to agree with Al. I've been around discussion boards for a long time and I have never understood it when people get involved in discussions that they are tired of (even if it is just reading them)....and then say they are tired of it. I find it much less stressful to just move on and read or create a topic that I am interested in.

Mark
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-04 10:00 AM (#200057 - in reply to #200049)

Reasons not to stop marketing discussion, include the "change the channel" to another thread if you are bored, but also you must realize that we get 3-5 new members each day. Not every new member will sit and read the thousands of threads that came before. Every months over one hundred sets of new eyes see this board, so it's all new to them.

As someone already eluded to, the folks at Ovation read this board. When you go on the tour, you will really see how many. Sure, not every idea we have is great (well all mine are, but some aren't) but sometimes we hit on something they can use and they do. They are also are one of the few companies I have run across that realize how a BBS like this works. They are not offended by the occasional factual barb, nor by the opinions of anyone here. Kindofa "I don't care how you refer to me, just spell my name correctly."

Finally, I just don't like the idea of encouraging any kind of censorship. Sure, sometimes we get off topic, run a subject into the ground like I am doing now, but sometimes there are some brilliant ideas and thoughts passed around. It's worth wading through the mud to get to the gold.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-04 10:05 AM (#200058 - in reply to #200049)

Well put, Miles.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-04 10:23 AM (#200059 - in reply to #200049)

OK OK,

You convinced me. Particularly Miles´ comment on new members asking the same questions again makes sense to me. Same goes for switching channels.

I´ll switch channels and move on to the next topic. :-)

Martin
Beal
Posted 2003-12-04 7:22 PM (#200060 - in reply to #200049)

Groovydude, You raise a good point. It is a subject that has been rather well beaten. And while it is said that the powers that be read this they sure as hell don't respond, either here or through a "back door" channel. I do really doubt that the right people ever see these posts. And YES I do know what and who I'm talking about.

In any case it's good for us to get these issues out and establish the OFC opinion. Maybe a bit of that can be fed back "through channels" and some good come of it. That's where the Folklore delux came from, or so they say. As for when a subject starts getting old, again, we can just switch the channel.

Maybe we could all go over to the Taylor site and bitch that their guitars are all wood and have no fiberglass and therefore no soul. We could have a big time over there!
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-04 11:36 PM (#200061 - in reply to #200049)

I think it is impossible to be a fan of Ovations for very long and not have an opinion about marketing and the corporate mentality. Sometimes a companys worst enemies end up being employees.... (Kim Keller is a very notable exception. Ovation has wonderful customer service, and Kim is a Prince.)

The argument may be made, "if Ovations are so great, why aren't more highly visible players using them?" Marketing is a big part of answering that question.

BUT, having said that let me say this: I play Ovations because I love them. I remain a very loyal user, because Kim has taken care of me when some others have let me down. And making loyal customers angry IS a form of bad marketing. End of rant.

Now off to find CWK and head for the Taylor site....
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-05 1:03 AM (#200062 - in reply to #200049)

"(Kim Keller is a very notable exception. Ovation has wonderful customer service, and Kim is a Prince.)"

Bravo! I had my very first experience with customer service today. It was a simple matter...I just wanted an HexFx manual for my 1996 collector's series. Kim called me back within 30 minutes of my leaving a voicemail and told me he would get one mailed to me today. It was very refreshing to talk to a customer service rep who really loves what they do...you could just hear it in his voice. He is good at what he does and I appreciated it.

Mark
ps...don't sweat it, Martin. Some good points were brought out by your post ;)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)