The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OP50 phantom voltage requirement

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

amplayer
Posted 2003-12-04 11:08 AM (#200015)
Subject: OP50 phantom voltage requirement

Hi,

I just purchased two Adamas guitars that I should receive in a few days. I need to buy an amplifier to go with them.

1) What is the DC phantom voltage requirement for the XLR on the Adamas guitars? i.e., does it require the full 48 Volts, or can it run with the 13 to 15 volts that is provided by the phantom power on most "acoustic" amplifiers?

2) Anyone have suggestions for a good amp to go with my new Adamas guitars?

Thanks in adance.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-04 11:47 AM (#200016 - in reply to #200015)
Subject: Re: OP50 phantom voltage requirement

The industry standard phantom power voltage is 48v, but can vary from 12 to 52 volts. If the OP50 will run on a 9v cell it should be perfectly happy with any phantom power voltage.

There are as many opinions about acoustic amps as there are acoustic guitars. If you're looking for pro-quality I personally like AER & Ashdown, but as they are both European they are likely to be expensive in the US. The new Fishman "Loudbox" looks like it's worth checking out. Try a search on "acoustic amp", there's been several discussions over the last few months.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-04 11:52 AM (#200017 - in reply to #200015)

". . . I just purchased two Adamas guitars . . ."

Jeeez! One post and I HATE him already!!!!!

:D just kidding.

WELCOME to The Board!!!!
amplayer
Posted 2003-12-04 9:08 PM (#200018 - in reply to #200015)

I actually received the guitars today!!! They are both Cobalt Blue. One is a W597, and the other a W598. They are wonderful.

Please don't hate me. :D I'm not rich, but thanks to my very understanding wife, I did scrounge up the money to buy these.

I'm going to play these guitars in an acoustic duo. Since I live in New England, I really felt I needed the carbon fiber guitars because of the drastic temperature and humidity changes we experience here. I am also unfortunately selling a Taylor 710 to help pay the bill for these beautiful Adamas guitars.

I'm still looking for suggestions on acoustic amplifiers. Anyone try these with the Genz Benz Shenandoah series amps (also now a Kaman product)?
Nils
Posted 2003-12-04 9:45 PM (#200019 - in reply to #200015)

I've never plugged an Adamas into it, but my nearly new Elite 12 string & my old 1612 6 string sound good through my Shenandoah Jr. So does my ES-175 & even my Epi Riviera (335). I can't hear worth a crap so I'm not a real good judge, but other people have told me it sounds good to them. For $359 (about ten bucks a watt :) ) brand new, I'm very happy with it.

/\/\/
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-04 10:52 PM (#200020 - in reply to #200015)

I saw this the other day at the Kaman site...

THE EAGLES ON TOUR WITH GENZ BENZ SHENANDOAH ACOUSTIC AMPS

SCOTTSDALE, Arizona — Genz Benz Enclosures, Inc., is proud to announce The Eagles have just kicked off a lengthy “World Tour” with a back-line that includes three Genz Benz Shenandoah 100 acoustic amps.

The venues are large arenas and the Shenandoah 100 acoustic amps are being used with some of the band member’s Takamine acoustic guitars as well as by the group’s violinist for on stage monitoring.

Victor Rodriquez, Glenn Frey’s guitar technician stated categorically, “The Shenandoah is the best acoustic amp I’ve ever heard”.

I think the Fishman 250 watt model is a single channel amp and they should have the larger two channel models out soon. I've been kind of looking at amps myself. The Shenandoah Stereo Delux 200 looks like a very cool amp too.

mark
amplayer
Posted 2003-12-05 4:59 AM (#200021 - in reply to #200015)

Thanks.
The Shenandoah 200 does sound very good. I tried a Celebrity 12 string through one in a store. However, it is 29 inches long, meaning it is hard for me to transport because my only ride right now is a Camaro. Anyone want to buy my Camaro? :rolleyes: Plus, the Shen 200 is about $1000, so it ain't cheap.
One other thing is that I think something with a 12 inch speaker would be a better match for these Ovation guitars because it allows you to tame the piezo high frequency quack. The Shenandoah 100 has way less features than the 200 model, but I'll bet it sounds very good. I haven't been able to try it though.
Maybe I can find a place to try the Fishman.

Anyone using the Fender SFX II? I'm not a big fan of fender products, but the SFX II is a pretty good amp.
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-05 9:17 AM (#200022 - in reply to #200015)

Check out this Trace Elliot on ebay. Is has a 12" speaker and two 5" where most of these have the four 5" speakers. It looks like a nice amp. I know buying amps on ebay can be risky and you are right in wanting to try one...that is the ultimate decision maker. I was just throwing it out there because it caught my eye. The Carvin AG100D seems popular too.

Trace Elliot Acoustic Amp TA-100R Concert
cliff
Posted 2003-12-05 9:28 AM (#200023 - in reply to #200015)

Personally, I'd go for the Trace, but I'm biased.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)