The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Speaking of Amps...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Steve
Posted 2003-12-04 1:46 PM (#200009)
Subject: Speaking of Amps...

Any comments on the Roland Jazz Chorus amps? Has anyone ever been able to rival that sound?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2003-12-04 2:24 PM (#200010 - in reply to #200009)
Subject: Re: Speaking of Amps...

Nice clean amp real good for acoustic electrics in a pinch

I hate them for electric guitar too generic sounding
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-04 2:48 PM (#200011 - in reply to #200009)

Good-ish sound in it's day. Chorus on acoustics isn't nearly as fashionable as it used to be but the JC120 basically has a CE1 in it, and that's still the best chorus pedal ever.

The Jazz Chorus got used for electro-acoustics (and electric piano) because it's a very clean-sounding amp which would stay clean at volume, and at the time there was nothing else that would do as good a job. (Although I do remember a French-made amp in the late 70's, used by Marcel Dadi and called I think the "Charlie" amplifier) The JC120 as an acoustic amp has been left way behind by current technology. It's also a ball-breaker of a lift. As an electric amp I agree with Al, totally sterile sound.

Years ago I promoted a UK show with Jerry Jeff Walker & Guy Clark. JJ had his Slot-head Adamas and a rented JC120. I wanted to take a split feed from a DI box so we could get a direct signal from the guitar and the JC120 would be a monitor. He insisted we miked the amp and I was only prepared to push the point so far with one of my heroes. It sounded horrible. Guy had an Alvarez Yairi electro and a Gallien Krueger mini electric guitar amp. Again he insisted that we mike the amp. Sounded even worse than JJ.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-05 3:04 AM (#200012 - in reply to #200009)

Paul

That is an interesting and revealing story, Jerry Jeff Walker and Guy Clark are both people I admire and are giants in the Southwest country rock world. But you have shown the achillies heel of the genre, they were technically unprepared for anything bigger than a bar where their music was formed in towns like Austin. I have noted that when they have appeared on Austin City Limits they present a roughness that modern rock and country has lost as the moderns have become so technical they no longer fit in a bar room. Today you must play as if you were making a CD, with balance and sound but God help you if you have EMOTION!!

Bailey
Steve
Posted 2003-12-05 9:04 AM (#200013 - in reply to #200009)

...so, what might be the current equivalent of the Roland Jazz Chorus amps; quality digital stereo chorus and digital reverb being the main concerns...

steve
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-05 9:55 AM (#200014 - in reply to #200009)

The JC120 is still in production as far as I'm aware. Most of the better acoustic amps come with digital reverb. As for stereo chorus, unless you have an amp where the speakers are 8 feet apart it kinda defeats the object. If you must have stereo chorus you'd be better off sending 2 signals direct to a the main PA system (from a processor like a Boss AD5) and a third mono signal to an acoustic amp as a monitor.

Roland do an acoustic chorus amp called the AC100
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=AC%2D100

and the smaller AC60
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details.asp?catid=7&subcatid=32&prodid=AC%2D60
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)