The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Trying to trace an Electric Storm Thunderhead

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

bigwind
Posted 2003-12-04 7:57 PM (#199986)
Subject: Trying to trace an Electric Storm Thunderhead

I've got what I've managed to identify as an electric storm thunderhead w/tremelo. It came from a guy who claims to have received it directly from someone at ovation (as a gift? I'm not too clear on the details).
Anyway, it's in fairly good shape, although the finish is slightly cracked (I have heard of others doing this) on both the front and back; it's missing the pick guard and I believe the model s/n plate has been removed. Does anyone know where the serial plate was located on these guitars? It looks like it was covering the neck bolts on the back of the body, there are 4 small holes and a "782" stamped into the body. Any info on what this number means would be very helpful.
The guitar looks black, but is really a very dark brown. It is possible the color has simply faded (it had quite a layer of scum on it from the previous owner that had to be removed), if it was indeed black that seems to place it around late '71 to '72 according to model charts. The previous owner claimed the finish was messed up at the factory, but the details were once again sketchy. I haven't found any record of a brown color.
Any details that could help identify it's age or history would be great, as well as any ideas on how to find a hardshell case that it fits in! The Gibson ES cases are about an inch too narrow, and no one around here carries anything large enough. 'Course, they also look at me strange when I tell them I have an ovation and it's not an acoustic.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-04 10:19 PM (#199987 - in reply to #199986)
Subject: Re: Trying to trace an Electric Storm Thunderhead

The number on your guitar means that it was probably made in 1967. Go to the reference section of this website and you'll find serial number codes and dates for most USA built Ovations. That's truly a vintage Ovation, a very early Thead. Mine was built the following year.

On the Theads (and I'm assuming most of the Storm series guitars, the piece that covers the bolts for the neck was a piece of black plastic, similar to the material of a pickguard. There was nothing stamped on it. It's the number under it that is important (if there's no label inside).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)