The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New MM68

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

mikey2
Posted 2003-12-05 1:50 AM (#199956)
Subject: New MM68

Well, it's a small world! I'm a new member due to just buying an Ovation MM68 on ebay yesterday. I went searchng for info and I found this forum. Hey, great, now to read some good info. It turns out the guy who sponsors this site, Al, is the guy whom I bought the mando from! It left the East coast and is on the brown truck to the Oregon coast! The idea of electric is totally new to me and I'm anxious to see it. I know all about not buy unless you try but I'd have to travel hundreds of miles to have a hands on experience. I'll most likely have some beginner questions when I get it around the 11 Dec
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-05 2:04 AM (#199957 - in reply to #199956)
Subject: Re: New MM68

Mikey2

Welcome to the board, I'm basically a mandolin player and I'm looking forward to hearing how you like and get on with your new instrument. Because I am retired, I haven't switched from my acoustics that I have played for years in bluegrass bands to an Ovation, but I am tempted. My fiddle playing nephew had a Celebrity that I tried out and liked very well, especially plugged in. Let us know as soon as you get comfortable with your new mandolin.

Again, welcome we need more mandolin players they tend to be more with it than the 6 and 12 stringers.

Bailey :D
Nils
Posted 2003-12-05 2:04 AM (#199958 - in reply to #199956)

Welcome to the board Mikey :)

/\/\/
Slipkid
Posted 2003-12-05 7:20 AM (#199959 - in reply to #199956)

In my youth I had a mandolin and a banjo. I found I did not enough talent to spread around. Our GC has a Gibson mandolin tagged at $2400 on the wall. Very, very high up on the wall.
Brad
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-12-05 8:51 AM (#199960 - in reply to #199956)

Welcome aboard! You'll love this board! It's here where you'll find lots of info, be able to ask questions, Get an occasional wisecrack which is meant in Good fun, and also get a laugh or two.
I've never played an Ovation Mandolin, but i'm sure if I have my way.. I'll own one eventually :D
Again Welcome aboard.
an4340
Posted 2003-12-05 10:12 AM (#199961 - in reply to #199956)

On the topic of mandos and not spreading your talent around instruments, I saw a gold tone guitarlin. The body is a mando, but it's strung like a miniguitar. About $300. Has anyone here tried this thing? Any opinions. The only reason I ask is that I'm looking for something really portable on trips to asia and want to keep my chops up.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-05 4:24 PM (#199962 - in reply to #199956)

Mikey2
Welcome, Finally we get someone else with a 2 in their name and it's not a Paul!
You'll like it here and you'll learn a ton about Al. A little about the mando too!
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-06 1:51 PM (#199963 - in reply to #199956)

Thanks to all for the welcome. Since I won't receive the mando for almost a week yet, can anyone give me a report on just how these things sound w/o amplifier? I've researched this and read everything from "terrible" to "very good". I have 4 other non electric mandolins, 1 F5 and 3 A styles. All handmade by small builders except one A style by Kentucky which I purchased over 30 yrs ago. I wouldn't expect the Ovation unamplified to rival a good custom luthier made instrument but I am expecting good enough volume and tone for meaningful practice. I am intrigued by the amplified possibilities and am currently looking/researching purchasing a small all tube amp for home use. Something like a Fender Pro Jr, Pignose 40V, or other 15 watt 10" Crate tube amp. I like the idea of the Ovation's ability to use the onboard OP 24 electronics to change the treble and bass sounds to suit me. Any comments on pros/cons of amplification would be appreciated. I must admit to MAS and the fact that I love gadjets and "toys"
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-06 1:57 PM (#199964 - in reply to #199956)

Also it was reassuring to find out that my ebay purchase was from a dealer with the apparent reputation of Al whom I was not familiar with until after my purchase. I should mention that Al shipped the mando the same day I called him on the phone and made the purchase via credit card! Quick service!!!!
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-07 1:55 AM (#199965 - in reply to #199956)

Mikey2

My nephew's Celebrity mandolin had a different acoustic sound than the arch top acoustics I am used to. But, it was a pretty decent soft sound, every thing was true as far as intonation, and it appealed to me as a country backup instrument as opposed to a bluegrass lead instrument. That is, great honky tonk, Eagles style, maybe Hank Williams oldies etc.. I think you'll like it, I've played mandolin for years and I certainly would want one like it. The plugged in sound is the icing on the cake.

Again, when it arrives, let us know what you think.

Bailey

Watch out with the Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome, someone here will relate it to fishing and the bastard will manage to fit in the phrase "MAS stir bait" in his post, just a warning.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-07 2:10 PM (#199966 - in reply to #199956)

When we were showing the mando around in the beginning the reactions were that it was somewhere between an A and F. I don't mean grade school grades! When I pushed the question with, "Is being between an A and F the best of both worlds or stuck in no man's land?" most mandoests said best of both. Now that was with a solid top model. I would guess that the inport has a ply top, not that there's anything wrong with that.
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-07 4:11 PM (#199967 - in reply to #199956)

As I previously stated, I have both A and F style custom handmade luthier mandolins and one mandola. Both A and F style instruments have more in common as a general observation regarding sound/tone. Any real differences have to do with other factors other than whether its a A or F style. None of mine sound alike! Different finishes, strings, bridge, nuts, soundholes, wood, etc.... Even two identical mandos usually have some tone differentials. My expectation of the MM68 will be that since the tops and the backs are somewhat identical, the sound/tone should be similar from one to another. The electronics should allow adjustments to tone, etc.. I bought this mando impulsively in that I wanted a mando with a wider neck than usual and also the electronics interested me. and I have MAS!
Beal
Posted 2003-12-07 6:41 PM (#199968 - in reply to #199956)

Yes, MAS is a terrible thing but with constant visits to this board you will be able to live with it.
I just picked up a 27 National style 2 mando. This one has the tricone construction rather than the single cone that was used from 1928 on. I also have a 1931 with the single cone and the tone is totally different between them.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-08 1:50 AM (#199969 - in reply to #199956)

cwk2

Look for the Louvin Brothers CD that has most of their hits, it has a mandolin similar to yours played by Ira Louvin, some of the guitar work is done by Chet Atkins.

Bailey
mandohack
Posted 2003-12-12 11:53 AM (#199970 - in reply to #199956)

Hey Mikey!
I think I may have seen your handle on the Mandolincafe.com website--which is pretty rare. Not very often these two circles intersect!
As far as the F vs A body, I'll have to admit what intrigued me more was the obvious resemblance to a bowlback. I was fortunate enough to be drawn into playing an Ovation prior to being indoctrinated into the more "Loar-Nazi" F-Body mandolin world.
You are one of the very few that refuses to be frightened by the Truth:
This is the hands-down best plugged in mandolin on the planet.
More raves on my personal custom-MM68 here:
Ted's Adamas Mando
mikey2
Posted 2003-12-12 2:17 PM (#199971 - in reply to #199956)

Ted

Yes, that's me on the Cafe. I've been to your very impressive web page before and must say you're way ahead of any where I'm going. I'm a rank beginner but not afraid to try anything once. The other forum is decidedly different on their mando likes but a good place for MAS! I've learned most of the little I know over there. Thanks for the shout and I just received the MM68 yesterday. Sounds amazing w/o being plugged in. Amp coming next week. It's very easy to play and I like the tone/sound. The E string is decidedly a different sound on mine. It seems louder/more pronounced than my other mandos. I'm having trouble describing it. Words describing sound are ambiguous at best to me. Getting used to it, just different. I'm not into "plastic", but how do you argue with the results? The sustain unplugged is every bit as long as my custom handmade F5 and A's Of course sustain is not much on any mando anyway. Workmanship is very good and no flaws/defects visible to me. Caio for now
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)