The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Otto's on tha prowl...AGAIN!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Beggin
Posted 2008-10-31 9:48 PM (#14068)
Subject: Otto's on tha prowl...AGAIN!

I just received a call from Bill (OTTO) and he is on a road trip to look at a very special O/A for sale that he dug up from who knows where.

Back in May, Bill found a very beautiful Adamas up North and took a similar road trip to acquire it. He bought it for a steal and had a great journey with his son to get it.

Here's to ya Bill, and Happy Hunting!

We will expect the full story on your return!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-10-31 10:08 PM (#14069 - in reply to #14068)
Subject: Re: Otto's on tha prowl...AGAIN!

We want pictures!!!!
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-01 7:11 AM (#14070 - in reply to #14068)

I like to hunt from the relative comfort of my office. Otto is more of an adventurer, striking out on safari. I miss those days..... :rolleyes:
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-11-01 8:05 AM (#14071 - in reply to #14068)

Wonder why Otto didn't post about this himself? Oh yeah, he's Otto. Nuff said.
Beggin
Posted 2008-11-01 11:10 AM (#14072 - in reply to #14068)

He was on the road when he called, he wanted to know if there where some OFC friends nearby (to visit since he will be in the area). His time for the trip is very limited, he has to be back to work Saturday evening.

Don't let his quiet nature fool you, he is cagey ;) . If he posted where it was, and what it is, he would probably have to fight off a dozen other members...pretty smart IMHO!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-11-01 11:37 AM (#14073 - in reply to #14068)

If he's that cagey, he might enjoy a tussle. Tell us! It could be a cage match.
Beggin
Posted 2008-11-01 12:37 PM (#14074 - in reply to #14068)

..spoken as a true Wild Eyed Southerner
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-01 6:36 PM (#14075 - in reply to #14068)

Otto: They seek him here, they seek him there...
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-01 6:49 PM (#14076 - in reply to #14068)

The Kinks? Dedicated follower of fashion?
Otto
Posted 2008-11-02 10:57 PM (#14077 - in reply to #14068)

Small hiccup in the deal but it's being worked out. :( Sorry to keep y'all in suspense. I WILL post details and pics when this is done.

TJ, you are GOOD! That's not me though. Jeans and greens for me these days, thank you. I will admit to being into paisley, nehru, hip hugger bell bottoms and even striped trousers around the time of that tune but I found that line about the frilly nylon panties to be particularly unnerving. :eek:

On the subject of fashion; Jas, It might be worth a cage match just to see what Captain Lovehandles would come up with for a wrestling outfit. :p

Otto
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-11-03 6:56 AM (#14078 - in reply to #14068)

Think Nacho Libre.
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-03 7:20 AM (#14079 - in reply to #14068)

It's gonna take all day to loose that image. :rolleyes:
Otto
Posted 2008-11-04 1:18 AM (#14080 - in reply to #14068)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
It's gonna take all day to loose that image. :rolleyes:
Maybe this will help, Jim.

Okay, I know what you’re thinking, Otto must LIVE on craigslist. Honestly, I don’t. I’ll go on every couple/three days, always check the stuff close to home and then go dig randomly. The listing for this guitar was a full month old when I found it last week. Don’t even ask why I was looking at a month old listing, I don’t know the answer. Call it divine guidance. I just scrolled down and there it was. “Ovation Guitar Signature Series”. What the hell is that…??? So I opened it. It was described as, “30 year Anniversary Signature Series Abrams Ovation 6 string, Acoustic/Electric”. But the model number read more like an Adamas I serial number. And it came with a “Hard case and Travel over-case”. Hmmm… A couple e-mails turned into a phone call from the seller Friday afternoon at work. After a couple questions, a little help reading the label, and a correct spelling of “Adamas”, we determined that this was in fact, a 1687. And when I heard what color it was, the only other thing I wanted to hear was driving directions. Chase and I hit the road right after work and were at the seller’s door Saturday morning.

Unfortunately the guitar turned out to be not quite as pristine as the seller thought. Drop dead gorgeous and in otherwise stellar condition but it does have some definite bracing issues. Certainly nothing that Mother can’t straighten out and most certainly not enough to turn me away from this beauty. This has the most mesmerizing look of any guitar I’ve ever seen. The bridge is lighter in color than usual, and all the paint and wood colors are so natural and beautifully coordinated, it looks like it should be breathing. Don't know what y'all think of -9 brown but this one really speaks to me. :cool:
Got one small ding on the underside of the headstock near the neck but nothing else of note. Some very light pitting on the tuner buttons but no matter there. Those will become walnut soon enough. The dark areas on the fret board are finger dirt. You’re seeing it as found, haven’t cleaned a thing. It has been played but not much. There is virtually no fret wear.

Next step will be setting up the trip to Mom. As soon as I can convince myself that I will survive being without it for any length of time. I am ridiculously in love with this guitar. Even with the bracing issues it is still a joy to play and still sings like an Adamas should in spite of the ancient strings. I can’t keep my eyes or my hands off of it.

Otto
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-04 1:25 AM (#14081 - in reply to #14068)

Otto: You the Man!!

Wow what a find. Pity you didn't find it earlier and bring it to the Smokeys. When you're sick of it, send it Down Under.
Otto
Posted 2008-11-04 1:48 AM (#14082 - in reply to #14068)

Don't think I'll be sick of it anytime soon, Richard. I feel way too good right now. :) My sights are still set on a trip to Oz someday. Maybe then.

Glad to see you're home safe! Miss you already, though. It was awesome to meet you and jam a bit.

Otto
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-11-04 3:10 AM (#14083 - in reply to #14068)

Otto,
Congrats my friend...very nice and I understand exactly how you feel...my -7's are so fine...I occasionally look at them and pinch myself...you've defiantly got some nice history for yourself...looking forward to the next jam and spending a bit more time getting acquainted.
Enjoy!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-11-04 7:07 AM (#14084 - in reply to #14068)

Good going, bro. You are quite the man.
G8r
Posted 2008-11-04 7:38 AM (#14085 - in reply to #14068)

Wow Otto, super find!. Congratulations. Can't wait to see it in January.
Beal
Posted 2008-11-04 8:29 AM (#14086 - in reply to #14068)

Braces are nothing, they can be fixed. The important thing is the cosmetic looks and they are all there.
Nice grab. What's the s/n?
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-04 8:43 AM (#14087 - in reply to #14068)

Originally posted by Otto:
Don't think I'll be sick of it anytime soon, Richard. I feel way too good right now. :) My sights are still set on a trip to Oz someday. Maybe then.

Glad to see you're home safe! Miss you already, though. It was awesome to meet you and jam a bit.

Otto
Otto, come any time. You will be most welcome. I miss you guys, I was too jet lagged before to notice you weren't around.
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-04 9:54 AM (#14088 - in reply to #14068)

Otto,

WOW! Awesome git. I've never seen that color. Looks like 'early camo'; that's a good thing!

Great grab. Congrats!
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-11-04 9:59 AM (#14089 - in reply to #14068)

Otto - that's stunning! I can't wait to see more pics! How far did you have to drive for this one?
Beggin
Posted 2008-11-04 1:32 PM (#14090 - in reply to #14068)

Congrats buddy !
Otto
Posted 2008-11-05 1:48 AM (#14091 - in reply to #14068)

Thanks for all the positives, guys. It really is a cool guitar and you know it will be with me at the next jam to share with y’all. Most likely G8Rs place?

Originally posted by Mauvais Beal:
Braces are nothing, they can be fixed. The important thing is the cosmetic looks and they are all there.
Nice grab. What's the s/n?
That's comforting, Beal. I've never had anything like this repaired and was hoping it wouldn't be a major thing. Serial is 860-90. It's got that one guy's signature that makes it worth more.

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
Otto - that's stunning! I can't wait to see more pics! How far did you have to drive for this one?
377 miles south, CL. Just a little under Beal, I think. Was really hoping to maybe hook up with some of the Florida OFCers but as it turned out, time and distance just weren't going to cooperate on this rocket trip. I picked up Chase right after work Friday night and blasted off, got the guitar Saturday morning, and high tailed it home in time for, uhhh… well it WAS work related. There is no question that I am a certified workaholic but I really am trying hard to get a life.
I'll try for some more pics if the weather clears before she leaves for Connecticut. Otherwise will take some glamour shots when she comes back from the spa all purtied up.

Otto
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)