The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Where do you play?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-05 8:32 AM (#199917)
Subject: Where do you play?

I was wondering just how many of us on the OFC play professionally and how many are "living room" players.

Personally, I play in a Church Elder Care Music Ministry (we play at Convalescent homes... a really easy room to play).

I know that some of you are slam-bang guitar-slingers and some only know "3-chords" and have never had anyone pay money to hear them (us).

Just curious: Professional or Living Room Amatuer? Picker or Fingerpicker? Lead or Strummer??

What are you???

To save room, I'll thank you ALL now for responding! :D

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-05 8:43 AM (#199918 - in reply to #199917)
Subject: Re: Where do you play?

I'll step up to the plate on this one. I've played for over 30 years. Right now I'm only playing in the church band (had to leave another band due to time constraints). I play for family and friends. I only know 3 chords, but if I ever get a fourth chord, look out!
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-05 8:49 AM (#199919 - in reply to #199917)

Thanks Paul (BTW my middle name is Paul also)

3-chords.... I recently found what I thought was the 4th.... but then I lost it! ;)

Anyone else???

timothy PAUL chapman :D
Stevechapman
Posted 2003-12-05 9:05 AM (#199920 - in reply to #199917)

Great Question..This should generate lots of comments.
I play mostly at home now. I used to play out quite a bit Acoustically and with full bands.
Time constraints has caused me to slow down.
I use a pick sometimes but i also fingerpick too. mostly rhythm and harmony guitar parts-no lead. :rolleyes:
Mark1960
Posted 2003-12-05 9:11 AM (#199921 - in reply to #199917)

Lining room amatuer fingerpicker. I love sitting in front of my fireplace with my guitar (it's therapy). I am a very accomplished listener though LOL. I love music. I am fortunate to have some very good friends who play frequently around my community who are very encouraging. One of the things I love about this board is how guys like Paul T., Cliff and many others are so willing to help people of all levels. It says a lot about the kind of people we have on this board. My thanks to Al and Miles for making it happen....and to everyone for making it work!

peace,
mark
Steve
Posted 2003-12-05 9:12 AM (#199922 - in reply to #199917)

I've played anywhere from the local laundrymat parking lot, to the local community thanksgiving dinner, to the other trades on the job at lunch break, to the church youth group, etc;...even played once at coral ridge presbyterian church in ft. lauderdale, (an acoustic nightmare...)

steve
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-05 9:27 AM (#199923 - in reply to #199917)

Used to play in a coverband, just about covering the costs of my hobby, but nowadays i'm just playing in the rehearsal room with some friends 'for old times sake' and on the sofa in the living room, practicing progressions, scales and arpeggios, annoying my girlfriend (harhar)who tries to watch tv.

And a lot of times I play the keyboard (of my PC, that is).

Martin
alpep
Posted 2003-12-05 9:29 AM (#199924 - in reply to #199917)

well back in the day, I did the coffee house scene for a number of years. Trying to do the singer songwriter thing until I finally realized I could not sing or play the guitar or write songs.

Played in various bands on electric guitar, currently still have a band but we play out infrequently.

I was sitting in with a friend that does a solo blues gig, but the place that I joined him has recently closed so that gig is over.

well to answer your question I have a guitar stand with 5 guitars sitting on it in my tv room and I pick them at at my whim.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-05 9:35 AM (#199925 - in reply to #199917)

My present 'gig' is leading a worship band for my church, where I play a Custom Legend. But I also routinely play for community events, and occasionally get to go to other churches and work with different musicians. "Church" music is very different these days with tunes coming from all over the globe. I get to play challenging and rewarding music with good musicians and don't have to hang my clothes outside when I get home to get the smoke smell out of them like I used to when I toured and played in clubs every night.

As an aside and an Ovation commercial, I love the fact that my #1869 has an onboard tuner. For smaller venues, I just pull it out of the case, strap it on, tune it up, and play. When the application calls for being plugged in, I take a case with several DI boxes, cables, pedals, strings, etc..... Right now I almost exclusively use the Boss AD-5. It has a great preamp, reverb and chorus, and is a sweet DI. It is even wired for both mag and piezo pickups with stereo so that I can use it with my Hamer Duotone or Parker if I so choose (which I rarely do).

But home is where I usually play my old 1980's Legends for composition or just noodling. And home is where I also daily play on the guitars I just can't seem to resist when I get 'buck fever'. :D
willard
Posted 2003-12-05 9:46 AM (#199926 - in reply to #199917)

I did coffee houses and concerts in college and tried a blugrass band for a while but was never able to get up to speed with them. I pretty much put my guitar away for 15 years then started playing in church for special occasions. Now I play every week in a church band and once a year at the OFC convention. Strictly rhythm with some Peter, Paul, and Mary pickin' once and a while. I know the same three chords as everyone else but have found that if you put your pinkie finger in the right place it can sound OK :rolleyes:
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-05 10:01 AM (#199927 - in reply to #199917)

Living room. Occasional coffee shop, Borders, or open mike. Just a strummer who knows the first verse of a lot of songs. In my younger years I did the high school gym circuit and was headed for stardom ... such is life. Now firmly entrenched in mid-life I no longer have the talent, but at least I've got the equipment. Dave
cliff
Posted 2003-12-05 10:03 AM (#199928 - in reply to #199917)

I've been playing (on and off) for about 30 years too and only know three chords as well (unfortunately, they're the three that Moody DOESN'T know!).

I've often said that I'm NOT a "guitarist" that sometimes sings as I'm more of a singer that TRIES to play guitar ;) .

Marriage, fatherhood and career steered my guitarplaying more to "off" than "on".
Three years ago, divorce put me in a dire financial situation to where I needed suplemental income (preferrably "ca$h"). I answered an internet ad for a local rock cover band iso a lead singer. Worked my very "percussive" rhythm playing on my acoustic in with the band (I also do a lot of fingerpicking).

Bout a year and a half ago the lead guitarist and I started doing acoustic duo gigs and found that it was a LOT easier than humping all that equipment (and more profitable :cool: ) to do the acoustic thang. Currently, we don't do too bad with it: TwoManGroup .
We gig about 3-4 times a month (could probably book TWICE that amount, but Jeanette and Rick's wife'd have our heads! :) ).
Despite the hassles of humping equipment in and out (at 2am) and putting up with fuckwit bar owners, playing live for an enthusiastic crowd is a HELL of a lot of FUN!!! Shoulda' did it YEARS ago!!
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-05 10:07 AM (#199929 - in reply to #199917)

Currently I play in a band, on guitar, bass and sparse madolin. Guitar is mostly acoustic strumming rhythm, occasional acoustic or electric lead or electric rythym.
I do some finger picking stuff when I'm sitting around at home.
And, go to the Kerrville Folk Festival every year where it's "sitting around the campfire" style song swapping, and our group of KFF friends have other get togethers throughout the year where the main reason for gathering is to play music!

After 30 years of playing off and on, mostly in my living room and years of mostly off, never in a band, I'm now having a blast playing in the band, we rehearse (at Bill the bachelor drummer's house) and/or have a gig at least once a week, sometimes twice. We are barely making any money at it, still have my day job! But it is a great "hobby" :D
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-05 10:09 AM (#199930 - in reply to #199917)

Where I play kinda depends on who I'm paying with. With my band "Snake Oil" we play the local bar circuit, in the summer we get a few festival gigs, and when we pick up a support to a name act we play theatres. With another project http://www.busk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/photos.htm
we play mostly festivals & theatres. Until his death last year I was working with Tim Rose (the guy who wrote the Hendrix hit "Hey Joe") doing clubs & small theatres, and I tour a couple of times a year with my Buddy from Nashville Bob Cheevers, which is usually in smallish clubs. All of that will involve electric & acoustic guitars, slide guitars, B-bender guitar, lap-steel, mandolin & upright dulcimer, all Ovations except a late '50's 8-string Rickenbacker steel & a custom made Dulcimer. I'm probably out 3-4 times a week, but need to do several other things, all music related, in order to make a respectable living.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-12-05 10:41 AM (#199931 - in reply to #199917)

I have been playing every weekend for the past 22 years at the same church. I play for different singers, and I also accompany the chior. This has allowed me to do plenty of weddings and funerals. I really enjoy it, and I have had the chance to play with some fine muisicians. Christian music has changed over the years, and last night we were practicing for Christmas. Some of this music is pretty complex, and I am playing alot of music that was written for keyboard. It keeps me fresh, and this is cool with me.
Slipkid
Posted 2003-12-05 10:47 AM (#199932 - in reply to #199917)

I have not played for an crowd since I was 18 and front man for "Captain YoYo and the Seadogs". My music went idle for a while with the wife & kids thing. Like Al, I now keep my guitars on stands around the TV in plain sight. I find I am using a pick less & less, even for strumming.
I want find other local "living room" players & get a guitar club going.
Last weekend I played Puff the Magic Dragon for my hyper-active 3 year old neice till she fell asleep.

Brad
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-05 11:14 AM (#199933 - in reply to #199917)

Most of my playing is now in a spare bedroom. I can leave my "stuff" out, most of the time, except when the kids and grandkids come home. My two grandkids who live in town like for me to play and sing for them. Hopefully, one of them will want to take up the guitar
I grew up when nearly all songs could be played with three cords, (1950's). I have played off and on over the past 47 years. I am mostly a singer and strummer, a little fingerpicking. Eagles, Willy N, old country songs, Brian Adams, BLUES, folk.
Was part of a band "Leon and the Cowchips" two of the members got a divorce, that ended that.
Have really got interested in progressing in my playing the last year or so. I feel as though I am completely starting over, like I don't know anything. Also, age and preaching have taken a toll on my voice, if I ever had much of a voice, so I am having to work on that
I am helping a younger fellow learn to play bass. He is a quick study and it is very enjoyable. Hopefully, we, along with a couple of others will start playing for nursing homes, senior centers, etc.
The fan club has been and continues to be a source of much knowledge and just as importantly, much encouragement.

Thanks Noel
Dan Sauer
Posted 2003-12-05 12:25 PM (#199934 - in reply to #199917)

I Play with a band once a week at a Country Bar and Lounge. I do a single act (folk/pop/originals) other times in various venues across town and I sing the good old church choir on Sundays. Fun fun fun till Daddy takes my T-Bird away!
Alina
Posted 2003-12-05 12:41 PM (#199935 - in reply to #199917)

I have been playing for around 20 years. I used to play in Synagogue events, the biggest gig was in front of around a thousand people. In more recent years I tend to play for personal relaxation (and for my 3 little kids). I play mostly folk and rock, and I really enjoy fingerpicking (James Taylor, Jim Croce, etc).

Only recently I started studying music theory to understand how music "works". Now, I sit down with my guitar and fool around until I create something new that sounds interesting. Then I write it down and try to figure out what the heck I just played (key, chords, etc).

Alina
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-05 2:20 PM (#199936 - in reply to #199917)

Been playing since 4th grade when I heard KISS Alive II at school, about 25 years ago. Luckily dad had a Strat so it was a quick switch from piano. Spent most of my teens in hard rock bands trying to be a lead guitarist, but bluffed my way through with limited knowledge and lots of flash.

In '89 I made the switch to acoustic playing, when I heard Melissa Etheridge's first cd, and became more interested in song writing and singing than being a guitarist. Three chords became more vital than the friggin' "phrigian" mode!

Since then I've played in acoustic duos and solo, gigging at parties, bars, coffee houses, and churches. Flat picking and finerpicking

Writing is still my bliss, as is singing, though at this point I couldn't call myself a singer, or guitarist for that matter. Still gig, though have been workin on a cd, so haven't been playing many gigs of late.

Have humbled myself quite a bit, and have recently gone back to the woodshed to beef up my lead chops again (yup, those effing modes, AL!) and strengthen my theory/ear training skills. To be a better player, I just felt the need to take these 5(00) steps back to leap through the weak spots in my musicianship. Hopefully it will pay off.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-05 2:45 PM (#199937 - in reply to #199917)

Ok, here's my tuppance:

Took Classical guitar lessons in High School (66-67), found CSN&Y, Arlo Guthrie, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, PP&M et al and fell in love with the "wooden" sound... 4-years in the Navy ('70-'74) then off with a brand new Gibson Hummingbird into Hippieland for another 6-years.

Somewhere I picked up a love for Earl Scruggs 3-finger banjo pickin method and now use that almost exclusively...

Played lead guitar (only because no one else could) in a Saloon band "Medicine Springs Band" in Hot Springs S.D. ('76-'79)

Now I play (like many others) in the Church and for the Elder Care Music Ministry.. which is far more rewarding than any other "gig" I've ever done...

thanks for all the replies! It is a Very interesting read! Keep them coming and I will compile the results. Sounds like the "Church" players are leading the pack by a nose.....

tim
TheEliteist
Posted 2003-12-05 7:25 PM (#199938 - in reply to #199917)

I have played at the guitar off and on (mostly off) for almost 25 years... In 97, I bought my first O, an Elite 1868. That was it, I had found the best of the best... Now I have six O's... I play exclusively by myself, for my self, at my residence... I know of no one close to me that plays the guitar... Of course, there are not to many people that are close to me as I live out in the boon docks... I find playing the guitar soothing, and with the Ovations, I can play anywhere I like, even in bed...

I prefer the sound of my guitar played with just the fingers, strumming, or three finger picking. Slower, more mellow songs to the acid rock type, and acoustic to amplified... although, I do both of the others on occasion...

I too, thank Miles and Al for starting this board and enjoy the input from each of you. I think highly of this group, and enjoy reading your wit and wisdom...

Dale
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-05 8:09 PM (#199939 - in reply to #199917)

Been playing on and off for 30+ years. I started playing in elementary school mostly folk music (Chapin, Carpenters etc.. and pop metal rock (BOC, Night Ranger, Zep etc). I played Bass in the High School combo band, but always loved metal.

From 77-91 I played in bands I would get involved with where I was stationed in the Navy. Mostly metal or at least rock pop. The "In the service" angle opened doors for me to play stages I had no buisness being on like some of the clubs in the Philippines that packed close to 1000 or Block arena and others in Hawaii (not Aloha stadium tho) that had 5K - 10K and some clubs in Germany.

I got out of the Navy in 91 and got into a band to play primarily original material. It seems everytime we'd ramp-up to a big gig and get ready to record, something would happen right after the gig and the band would fall apart for 6 months to a year then regroup and do it again. It kinda got monotenous as we had some outstanding gigs including opening for BOC which the day after the gig the Keyboard player (and my girlfriend at the time) quite the band (and me.)

In 98 I was invited to play in a band my Bass player and close friend was in. Unfortunately my daily commute made the dedication needed for music impossible to achieve so after a few months as part of a move, I decided to make studio my outlet for music. I have always had a studio, but with building a new house I had the opportunity to make it a professional studio instead of just a home recording project.

I now rarely pick up a guitar other than to check it out to buy or sell, or help someone setup in the studio. I enjoy listening to other great musicians now and recording them. I guess I have sour grapes. If I can't play my songs the way they should be played, why bother. I have at least 2 CD's of material already recorded that just needs to be mastered, and I haven't even listened to it in a couple of years. I have no desire to play any cover tunes, so finding people to work with is just too much effort.

Every once in awhile, maybe once a month, I fire up the Carvin stack, tune up a guitar, and wail for an hour or three, but that's about it.
Bluebird
Posted 2003-12-05 8:17 PM (#199940 - in reply to #199917)

I have played in local bands off and on for years at local dances and bars. I quit this four years ago...loved to play but got tired of all of the BS involved; rowing between bandmates and their catty wives, dishonest bar owners, the declining ability to get a decent nights pay (the $600 we could get in 1982 was almost impossible to get in 2000), lugging gear, leaving in the middle of family get-togethers to do a gig, etc., etc.

Now when playing out I do gospel and CC music with a couple of different group configurations (Christian music doesn’t pay as well but the retirement benefits are out of this world! :) )
I play lead or rhythm or both, and like to use a flat pick/fingers combination.

Preferred gigging instruments are the Bluebird 6 (UK2 version) through a stock 1955 tweed Fender Princeton (early Champ sized cab but has a tone control and a hair-parting 4.5 watt output, one more watt than the early Champs!), and the GC Adamas into a Para LR Baggs di and the PA for acoustic stuff. At home, I usually grab the GC signature 6-string, which I have converted back to straight acoustic.

I can have just as much fun just playing at home by myself or jamming with a couple of friends, as long as I'm playing somewhere I'm happy!

Wayne
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-05 8:45 PM (#199941 - in reply to #199917)

My story goes back to 1970 and high school when I first got a Silvertone electric because I wanted to learn to play guitar so I could write songs(I already wrote poetry).

I and my two best friends had a garage band that went by the name of "The Peace Machine"...we played mostly Beatles' covers in our local park for the 12-year-old girls.....although one of our best songs was one I wrote with the (now embarassing) name of "Red and White Blues".
Hey, it was 1970.....

The lead player of my band and I actually played a gig with a friend (female) of ours at our church....I played drums since we didn't need a second guitarist....we billed ourselves as "Josie and The Tomcats".....

NOW....I play in the family room belonging to my wife and I. I usually turn the sound down on the TV and play while my wife is on the computer/web in the living room. Or I play an instructional DVD and practice with it. Can play "3 chords", barely good enough to play for other people. Now to develop singing at the same time!!!! Just starting to learn to fingerpick....I've always played with a pick.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)