The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Where do you play?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-05 9:36 PM (#199942 - in reply to #199917)
Subject: Re: Where do you play?

As some have already posted, in-home player. Lucky to have my office in my home with eight of the guitars hanging from the wall and several more guitars and a banjo in the hall. Try to play them all. Interest started with Hootenanny series on TV, Gordon Lightfoot's first album, PP&M, Kingston Trio, Oakes, Tom Rush, etc., although the old hand me down warped neck 6-string wasn't very good...ended up with the same fate as the guitar on Animal House, on the same staircase. First playable guitar was a D-18 12-string when I was at Shaw AFB, Spring of 1970-influenced my style of play as I started finger pickin' and folk. Never learned rock. Did some open mike/coffee house. Had started as a Soprano at age 7 in an adult choir, studied voice during high school, some singing with an adult trio (Moon River, etc.), and was one of founders of Univ. of Oregon's Mens Glee - however, as a double bass, my friends with bands in high school or college always told me I had too good of a voice-probably other reasons, but they were polite. Doo Wop was over and hard to sing lead as a double-bass. Played several years with Jolly Troubadors, primarily a church group with a couple of very good guitarists, some outside coffee house type gigs (fun playing the same coffe house where I had seen PP&M play 13 yrs before. Had gone to a 1158 CL 12-string, then added a D-25 6-string but almost always played a 12-string. We primarily did songs from Glory & Praise (folk orientated) for church, 50-60's folk outside of church. I usually picked, often transposed, against the others strumming 6-strings. With finger picks, the Ovation always stood out both in appearance, volume, and tone - always like to stand out.
Didn't play for many years until this last year. Don't remember anything, have to pull out the music book. Basically, during high school and college didn't have a usable guitar. When I did get one, too busy learning to fly the Phantom, then job plus Marine Corps reserve commands -little free time. Several years ago, serious injury to left wrist and arm with too much golf preparing for the City Amateur-couldn't hold a golf club after 12 holes or play the guitar for more than 5 minutes. Better now that I am practicing the golf less, emphasis on guitar. Trying to get back into it but "at home." Having fun...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WAOvation
Posted 2003-12-05 10:46 PM (#199943 - in reply to #199917)

I’ve been hanging around in coffee houses….ahh drinking coffee. About playing I’ve been ‘doing’ guitars for about 30 years. In 1980 I traded in a Martin second and purchased a new Ovation 1612-4 Custom Balladeer so I could “plug it in” for a Wedding I was requested to play at. I only collected two guitars until recently I found this web page and added a third then thanks to Al I added a fourth guitar. I primarily play Christian and currently working on recording tracks for a CD via Fostex MR-8 and N-track studio. I’m also teaching classical violin to my two daughters (9 and 11 years old) and wife, which believe it or not has improved my guitar ability. We played our first Orchestrated piece together last night and my daughters though the harmony was very cool. My daughters wanted to each play the different parts so we had to repeat the song about six times so each got their turn doing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd part. The piece was only “Ah, Vous Dirais-Je Maman” (anyone know what this actually is???); my daughters are beginners and this is only a elementary piece, but what was so cool was how they took to the harmony and enjoyed it; they got my ears and heart for music. To pass music off to my kids even though I don’t do this professionally, just for fun, is a great delight! Craig
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-05 11:17 PM (#199944 - in reply to #199917)

I thought I'd add a little bit of info on me. I also play backup guitar for a buddy of mine, Clark Byron, 3-4 times a year. He's a gospel singer and guitar player out of Kansas City (if you look on his website, http://www.clarkbyron.com , you'll find me here and there -- I'm the bearded fool with the glasses). With Clark, I'll play acoustic high string (Nashville tuned) rhythm, fingerpicking back up, and a small amount of lead on electric).

Like Bluebird, I play with a pick and fingers (possibly influenced by the same player?). My guitars are scattered all around the house on stands and on the walls. When I plug in, it's with my 1537 Elite or Big Blue (Adamas 12 string). At home, lately, I've been playing my 68 Deluxe Balladeer shiney bowl an awful lot. There's something about picking up such a wonderful piece of history that sounds, looks, and feels so good....
BruDeV
Posted 2003-12-05 11:59 PM (#199945 - in reply to #199917)

Most of the time I play in my bedroom. Every great once in a while a bunch of us will get together and jam at my place of work. There's an unused mezzanine at work which is set up as a jam area. 6 amps, two powered mixers, 14 speaker cabinets, 7 or 8 mics, 1 drum set and 100ish guitars and basses (only 2 acoustic). A couple of the guys that come sometimes also bring their amps as well. The main problem is that it's never very organized. Although, it's usually enjoyable.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-06 3:33 AM (#199946 - in reply to #199917)

some of you may be amazed that WAY back in the day I played guitar in church also. I always forget about that. You just never know...
richardd
Posted 2003-12-06 3:52 AM (#199947 - in reply to #199917)

As for me, I play in a 3 piece rock n roll / rockabilly band playing primarily a Gretsch 6120, but also Rickenbacker 6 & 12 strings and one of my O's.
Tony PD
Posted 2003-12-06 2:25 PM (#199948 - in reply to #199917)

I play entirely at home, although not as often as I should, spending 3 hrs a day on the Long Island Railroad will do that to you. My wife and I are in the process of moving to Inwood, Manhattan, which should cut down my commute considerably. Once I'm in NYC, I'd like to start taking guitar lessons again to improve my playing. I know most of the common chords, but I don't know that many songs by heart. I usually try to fake it by watching what the other guy is playing. I'm strictly a strummer; I haven't graduated to finger-picking yet.

Some of my friends are musicians, and I've played a song or two on stage with them, but that was years ago. I've never played solo or sung onstage, which makes the upcoming factory tour kind of daunting for me. I weasled out of playing this year, but I don't think I'll get away with it next year. Someone may have to join me for a duet up there, so I don't make a complete fool of myself.

I also played drums for about 7 years, but I wasn't very good. I was more of a "Charlie Watts" type player than a "Neil Peart", not that I didn't want to sound like Neil Peart, but I just didn't have the chops for it. I eventually gave it up, got too tired of the noise.
TRboy
Posted 2003-12-06 8:01 PM (#199949 - in reply to #199917)

I play a bedroom gig 2,3,sometimes 4 nights a week!! Mostly for my wife (my playing puts her to sleep, I don't know if that's good or bad)two dogs (1 big black lab[he likes willie]and a chow mix[she likes "classical gas"])and a black kitten(he doesn't like anything I play) Sometimes I play for just me! (I can and do "entertain" myself for hours)

In my youth,me and my buddy Charles were the "gang's" musical entertainment every weekend(I played a sunburst HONDO dreadnought with very high action) and we were a "hit" with the girls!

I played (bass) in the Army in the early '70's for company & battalion parties (maybe 3 or 4 gigs)and 1 off post redneck dive!!(for all the beer we could drink!!)

A few years back I played (and sang :eek: )in church every Sunday but lately it's just been the "edge of the bed" tour!!!!(T-shirts & hats are available :rolleyes: )
. . . . .

Mike :cool:
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-07 1:22 AM (#199950 - in reply to #199917)

I started playing with my younger brother, John, on our dairy farm in Ohio in about 1949. We met with our friend Bill in our dairy barn at night and jammed and practiced country music as our mother and father hated it and wouldn't let us play in the house. Hank Snow, Hank Williams, and the Grand Ole Opry crowd were our inspiration, plus having to learn waltzes, polkas and square dances which got us the usual free gigs at parties and town hall dances, even a live radio appearance (radio was everything then). I played rythm guitar and a lap steel, Johnny played guitar and accordian, Billy played guitar and dobro. I got tired of farming in 1953 and joined the Army, for the next 25 years I always had a guitar but just used it for jamming at parties, as Johnny became a professional fiddle player and Billy continued to play with him until Johnny died in the 90's. I got into bluegrass in California in the late 60's and took up the mandolin, formed a bluegrass club and a band that played all kinds of gigs around the north San Diego County. My two boys matured, joined the band, my oldest got married and quit the band, the other son and I moved to Las Cruces, formed a band and played around here for a few years. I had to quit playing in bars to save my marriage somewhere in the 80's, but my son continued (he was divorced) and I rejoined his bluegrass band in the late 90's and played mandolin with him until I quit in 2002 just before I had an auto accident that would have put me out of commission (I think I had a premonition, I was getting tired of practicing). I now do whatever I feel like with my assortment of acoustic and electric guitars and mandolins.

I still regret that I never learned how to play and fooled every body for 50 some years.

Bailey
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-08 3:32 PM (#199951 - in reply to #199917)

This is really a great thread to read. Really cool that we have such a varied group. One update to mine is I sing in the church choir - never played an instrument in church, except when I was teaching Sunday School and brought my Legend, to try and get the kids attention, and played songs like "This Little Light of Mine"!! We also did drumming stuff!
:)
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-09 7:45 AM (#199952 - in reply to #199917)

Wowie Zowie What a great read!

Thanks so much for responding so enthusiastically!

All of the submitted information is now being compiled and has been sent to the U.S. Government's Committee on Un-American Activities and to the Office of Homeland Security (and MI5)! :eek:

What a GREAT Group! Such a rich and varied cross section of life! Thanks for sharing! It makes me realize how many things we all have in-common (beside "O"'s)!

Now for the MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION:

What IS the 4th Chord?????????

tim
Pep
Posted 2003-12-09 9:05 AM (#199953 - in reply to #199917)

I vary between the living room where my Custom Legend rests and the bedroom where my 93 & 02 Collectors stay. Play mostly for the dog who snuggles up to my back and sleeps as I sit on the couch or end of the bed. My daughter throws me a bone now and then but I pretty much just irritate the wife. I guess it's a good thing she moved to D.C., it allows me to play a lot more.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-09 9:08 AM (#199954 - in reply to #199917)

...back to the top
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-09 5:59 PM (#199955 - in reply to #199917)

Any More???

tim
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)