The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation Celebrity Double Neck CSD-225

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

45flint
Posted 2003-12-07 8:59 PM (#199780)
Subject: Ovation Celebrity Double Neck CSD-225

I find this to be the only ovation doubleneck I will be able to afford. I just do not like the redburst color. Ovation's homepage says this is the only color, but I thought I saw one on ebay that was different, but I lost track of it at the time. Does anyone know of another color alternative?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Todd G.
Posted 2003-12-07 9:42 PM (#199781 - in reply to #199780)
Subject: Re: Ovation Celebrity Double Neck CSD-225

Unless you're willing to pay big bucks, I think you're stuck with the color of this model. It sounds like finances will prevent you from spending too much more for a custom color.

I used to own a Celebrity Deluxe. They're OK guitars, but the Elites are much nicer. A shop here has one of the double-necks on the wall, but I've never been interested in playing it. I used to want an exact duplicate of Richie Sambora's Elite double-neck. There was a time when those could be had for around $8,000--that's the number that sticks in my head for some reason. Other than the fact I would never have had that kind of dough to put down on a guitar, I couldn't think of any reason to own a double-neck other than a novelty.

Best of luck in your decision.

Todd
andyjerm
Posted 2003-12-11 6:44 PM (#199782 - in reply to #199780)

Hi, Todd is right, the Celebrity Deluxe Doubleneck CSD-225 is Ovation's only production doubleneck and it only comes in one finish: the black cherryburst. If you saw one on ebay that was different, it was either not an Ovation, was repainted aftermarket, or was one of the much more expensive custom made models. I agree with Todd that as shipped, the CSD-225 it is not as nice as the Elite models but it is still a very nice guitar. A little TLC from a skilled luthier (adjusting action, filing the nuts, etc) can really improve its feel. This is what I did to mine. I part company with Todd in that there are many reasons to own a doubleneck. Other than that they are just plain cool and will turn heads, it is very dramatic to start a song softly on the 6-string and then power into the choruses or bridge with the fuller sound of the 12. You can use one neck for "drop D" or another open tuning and leave the other standard. You can capo one neck and leave the other open...often, I'll capo the 12-string very high, play the 6-string in the conventional manner, then switch to the capo'd 12 for a mandolin like sound. Many things are possible.
Todd G.
Posted 2003-12-12 3:00 AM (#199783 - in reply to #199780)

Andy, I appreciate your comments about the versatility of the doubleneck. Mine are short-sighted in the fact I've never played one. If one of Sambos doubleneck Elites were staring me in the face, I'd jump at the chance. The Celebrity just doesn't do it for me.

Here's why.

I used to own a 6-string Celebrity Deluxe similar to an Elite 1868-5. The store I bought the Celebrity from had one of these Elites hanging on the wall, too. But financially I couldn't afford the Elite at the time. Looking back, I wish I'd have saved my money for the Elite. The Celebrity just couldn't touch it in terms of build quality, playability or sound.

I suppose my comparison may be a little unfair, but my past experience leads me to believe I'd be disappointed in the aforementioned weaknesses in the Celebrity line. But I used to own one because it was less expensive and with the exception of hardware, headstock color, fretboard, and inlays, it looks like an Elite--to the untrained eye.

Now that I've got my Adamas, nothing will compare until I'm able to buy an older (or custom order) Adamas I.

Todd
andyjerm
Posted 2003-12-13 2:24 AM (#199784 - in reply to #199780)

Hey Todd, I think you're an "elitist"... haha just kidding. No, really I can understand how you feel, once you've tasted the Dom Peringnon, it's a little hard to go back to the Cook's. I sometimes will go into Guitar Center or somewhere and grab an Adamas off the wall and just salivate at how well it plays and sounds but alas, by your own admission, the comparison is a little unfair. You just cannot expect a $600.00 guitar (ebay) to play as well and sound as good as one that costs many thousands of dollars. My needs are somewhat practical... I'm a working musician playing clubs, bars and such... if I had an $8,000.00 doubleneck, I'd be afraid of it getting beer spilled on it or ripped off out of my car! The Celebrity gives me what I need out of it. When I hit the big time, I'll trade it in. :)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)