The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Torch Top?!?!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Hyper Sloth Bot
Posted 2003-12-10 1:24 PM (#199643)
Subject: Torch Top?!?!

I have a 1989 Japanese Pinnacle. I emailed Ovation for some info, and this is their response:
"The last list price for the Pinnacle #3862 was $999.00 (US) in 1992. It had a solid spruce top (unless you have a Torch Top which was a laminate), mahogany neck, ebony stained rosewood fingerboard and walnut bridge. They were made in Japan at that time."
How can I tell if it has a "Torch Top" It does not sound like a laminate to me, but it doesn't sound like my 1984 Collector's Series with the epaulet holes nor my 2001 OM Martin . Thanks for any info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
samova
Posted 2003-12-10 1:58 PM (#199644 - in reply to #199643)
Subject: Re: Torch Top?!?!

Torch top means it had a laminated flame maple top which was usually a sunburst finish...They might have made it in a blue flame maple top as well.I dont remember..The rest were a spruce top
Hyper Sloth Bot
Posted 2003-12-10 2:51 PM (#199645 - in reply to #199643)

Thanks. It does have a Dark Walnut Sunburst with a flamey top. If it is a laminate, it is the best sounding one I've heard. I suppose I would prefer a solid one, but since this is my take to the beach guitar, it should hold out better than my more valuable guitars.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-11 2:53 AM (#199646 - in reply to #199643)

Hyper Sloth Bot

Laminated tops don't all sound bad, and they can be very tough for things like a "beach guitar" where you would never take an AAA spruce top collectible. I had a laminated top guitar that I used for years on gigs that I chose because it had good sound and could take a beating. I gave it to one of my nephews when I was between gigging, and not too long ago one of them called me saying what a good guitar it was 15 years later. The only disadvantage is they usually don't age like a solid top, but if they sound good what does it matter, they don't get any worse.

Bailey

PS: They are great for acoustic electrics, as the laminated top is usually much more amenable to amplification.
Hyper Sloth Bot
Posted 2003-12-11 8:01 AM (#199647 - in reply to #199643)

I know what you mean. My Martin howls and screams like crazy when I plug in and it's a bit loud.
Hyper Sloth Bot
Posted 2003-12-18 3:56 AM (#199648 - in reply to #199643)

I just came back from a 3 day camping trip ( I love living in Florida!) and am happy to say the Pinnacle proved to be a great campfire companion.
I didn't worry about a thing ( Except where the fingers go!) I even got a few compliments from fellow campers.Another camp site heard my cheesey Steve Howe wannabe playing and they brought over a fresh pot of coffee. Why does coffee taste better outdoors? Later, and happy holidays. I hope everyone has their holidaytunes down!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)