The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OFC - an opportunity

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-11 12:39 PM (#199554)
Subject: OFC - an opportunity

Ladies and Gentlemen...many of us have come to seriously appreciate the OFC.  It has become a part of our lives, close to an addiction.  When it wasn't available recently, several posts focused on withdrawal (including mine).  

The OFC Store now allows those who want (and can) to contribute a little extra toward the site.   The amount for the Balladeer Certificate can be changed from $10 to a higher amount.   I had already ordered a Certificate when the store first opened.  This morning, I sent another $40 for "the cause."

There is no cost to be a member of this great board.   However, as the site grows (and our dependancy increases),  IMHO it is only fair that we contribute if we can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
seesquare
Posted 2003-12-11 2:58 PM (#199555 - in reply to #199554)
Subject: Re: OFC - an opportunity

First off, Tony, I totally agree with you. We may sound a bit like your local PBS station, but what the hell.

In this season of giving, let me put in a "plug" for another, I think, worthy foundation:

http://ga1.org/heifer/join-forward.html?domain=heifer&r=xpqRLYn1g7AF

Too bad they won't send a viper (A REAL ONE!) to Saddam & Osama!!
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-11 3:15 PM (#199556 - in reply to #199554)

I agree, thanks for posting this, wasn't aware of their work...as their president says "Heifer has learned that global problems can be solved only if all people are committed to sharing what they have and caring about others. In a world where one billion people don’t have enough to eat, our effectiveness depends upon the sustained effort of many partners around the world."
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-11 5:34 PM (#199557 - in reply to #199554)

I agree with Tony. So I sent in some bucks also. Considering what we spend on our instruments and supplies, it is a small thing to help support the site.
Thanks again to the guys that make it possible.
Noel
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-11 9:16 PM (#199558 - in reply to #199554)

My guess is that this is why the website was down --- so Miles could get us to buy stuff at the website store. Watch out when the prices at the store go into the thousands of dollars. Miles will shut down the website, and wait for us to make him a millionaire. It's all a plot that he and Al came up with before they started the site.

Or maybe not.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-11 9:38 PM (#199559 - in reply to #199554)

Paul, hate to post this just after yours as the proximity looks like I took your comments seriously - or maybe I did :}

I had to aggressively solicite Al and Miles on this as I see the amount of time they spend on the OFC, as well as expenses, becoming a burden that could be shared. Sure, they get to list "Sponsored by" but we all have an ability to post on the Sell/Trade or plug items on the Bulletin Board. What I focused on was the additional costs, software, upfront costs of providing items for the OFC Store, Ovation tour, etc.

IMHO this is a great board that I would pay to join. I pay $45 a year for the SCGA to maintain my handicap. I am not advocating a paid membership, just tossing a couple of dollars into the hat - not asking for anything in return except Al and Miles continuing the great work.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-11 10:06 PM (#199560 - in reply to #199554)

Tony, if you took my comments on this board seriouisly, then that would be a first of anybody here.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-11 10:12 PM (#199561 - in reply to #199554)

Heck no...I did not take it negatively.

That's why I felt it was bad timing to post right after yours.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-11 11:36 PM (#199562 - in reply to #199554)

Thanks everyone,
Al and I decided early on this would not be a pay site. The reason for the store as we mentioned before is simply to have an excuse to have cool swag. The funds certainly help, but mostly to be able to provide even more cool swag and as Tony said it does offset the software, hosting costs and improvements which is greatly appreciated.
The outage a few weeks ago was certainly annoying and inconvenient and could not have been more poorly timed with me not only out of the country, but no where's near a cell phone. It actually was a quite healthy ship-to-shore phone call that got the site back online. One of those mixed emotion things. Although I was happy to be doing buisness with a company that wanted to verify the credit card on record was still mine and active before they used it, relying on an email to get me to call seemed a bit inapropriate, but it's old news now.
I truly believe Internet sites, especially ones that provide information should be free, and any sites of this type that charge, are missing the point. Now if a membership provides a value added like special insurance or discounts or other event access, that's different.

Anyway.. my two cents... I better get back to wrapping and packing so you folks get this stuff in time for the holidays.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-12 12:47 AM (#199563 - in reply to #199554)

I'm all for it, Miles and Al, I'm looking over the merchandize right now. I hope it doesn't become a burden on your time, but maybe if we order enough you can get somebody to pack and ship for an affordable wage. As soon as I choose something, I'll see if the Mrs wants to buy it to solve her Xmas shopping problem as to what to buy me for Xmas, then my daughters and my sons, and my adult grandchildren. If I can pull that off an industry will be initiated. If I can't, all of you try to do it. Just think, in a few years these items will be collectibles like early Barbies etc.. Get them while they are cheap.

Bailey
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-12 6:00 AM (#199564 - in reply to #199554)

I'm embarrassed to say I did not buy any of the cool stuff so far, but I just had a good idea (IMO all my ideas are good, but the rest of the world doesn't agree for most of the time).

Above the Adamas level there could be a 'Q'-level, which can be reached by buying the 'OFC-edition' guitar. Of course, Ovation would have to agree and make the guitars for an affordable price...

BTW Miles&Al, thnx for all your time spent on the board.

Martin
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)