The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The Day The Bass Players Take Over the World

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-11 3:39 PM (#199547)
Subject: The Day The Bass Players Take Over the World

I started to post this and ask about any bass players out there and right hand technique - I use a pick, trying out those thick particle board type ones and the thick felt ones, my cohorts in our band play the more traditional style of using thier index and middle fingers, which I can't get the knack of - and I was thinking of the song "The Day The Bass Players Take Over The World", which I know of from Trout Fishing In America, although I don't think they wrote it.

I did a Google for "Bass Players Take Over" and found this video:

Dave Pomeroy Video

Anybody ever seen this? All bass orchestra! Victor Wooten! I gotta get this and check it out!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-11 4:13 PM (#199548 - in reply to #199547)
Subject: Re: The Day The Bass Players Take Over the World

Paul,
I am not a bass player, but have had one for a number of years. I too had a problem with using my fingers to pick the strings, probably two reasons; 1. To lazy to work at it. 2. I started using my thumb and it worked pretty well. I once bought an old Kay upright bass for a friend. He lived in Lubbock at the time, so I had it for several months. It was much easier to use the index and middle singers to play it. (I know, I know, you can't put it in your lap so you can use your thumb) But with the neck in a vertical position, it seemed more natural to use the fingers.

Noel
andyjerm
Posted 2003-12-11 5:39 PM (#199549 - in reply to #199547)

Hi, I'm a longtime bassist. There are many theories about right-hand technique and not all may agree. Bottom line is that it's largely personal preference combined with the musical style and sound you want to achieve. That being said, here's the right way to do it (hehehe). ;)

Playing with the index and middle fingers, known as "walking" will give you a rounder, warmer, and somewhat mellower tone than with a pick. In my opinion, it is the technique to use when playing fast Chris Squire/Geddy Lee style riffs that involve a lot of scale and arpeggio movements. The fact that there are two fingers instead of one pick allows you to play faster. As far as not getting the knack of it, all I can say is "practice, practice, practice". It really is the only way. If you don't get discouraged first, you will get the hang of it.

Using a pick will give you a brighter, more defined sound with a sharp attack. This is useful if you are playing with a bunch of other musicians and you really need your sound to "cut through" the mix. You can use either downstrokes or a combination of down and upstrokes depending on the style of music and how fast you need to play. Downstrokes are stronger and punchier so if you're playing metal or hard rock, this is the way to go. Down/up picking will give you more speed and control if you need to jump strings alot. I've tried those fat felt picks you mention but I personally don't like them. I use the regular old guitar-player's medium thickness pick, but this is personal preference. I know a few cats who play with their thumb but I find this very limiting. The thumb is just not the most agile of the digits and will hold back your playing (IMHO, of course).

Anyway, I know this is getting long-winded so the most important thing to remember about playing bass is to have fun always! Good luck and I'll be happy to answer any more questions.
Andy
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-12 2:12 AM (#199550 - in reply to #199547)

Andy

Rant On, we need more Bass player input, it is an essential part of playing in a band and I have always and often said, if you want to work in music, learn to play bass, any honest musician will tell you that the bass player is the anchor that makes it work.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-12 7:46 AM (#199551 - in reply to #199547)

Bailey,

I agree! The best compliment I feel I can give a Bass Player is: "I didn't even know you were there"... meaning that his contribution was so foundationally solid, that it never occured to me to think about it! Having that Natural Foundation is a wonderful feeling to play off of!

tim
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-12 1:08 PM (#199552 - in reply to #199547)

I dabble in bass out of necessity...for home recording. This tends to be a scary thing, since most "guitar players" who dabble in bass tend to over play. I try to be really cautious of this.

I don't like boring bass lines (simple doesn't have to be boring), and am often pleased with the results I end up with, though admittedly I have no idea how to think like a bass player, or if a bass player would like my basslines. It's usually a trial and error thing and a lot of instinct.

Most instruction books seem to be too basic, as I already have "guitar" knowledge (notes, frets, scales, theory etc), but I haven't found one that gives insights to "think" like a bass player.

I listen to players constantly, but there are so many approaches to a style as there are players-some are very notey, others more simple. It would be nice if there were some clear cut guidlines to "find the groove" and create a fitting bassline!

Johnny
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-13 2:29 AM (#199553 - in reply to #199547)

Johnny

Not being a bass player, the thing I notice the most and the thing that makes them stars, are those bass riffs that you hear between the song features. To me, a lot of hit songs are made by a bass bridge either at the beginning or somewhere in the song. In jazz, of course, the bass lays down the complex line that everybody plays on.

Bailey
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)