The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
bracing problem

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

d'ovation
Posted 2003-12-12 9:05 AM (#199522)
Subject: bracing problem

I have just acquired my first Ovation (12 string)from an ebay auction. Although it was advertised as "new and flawless" and looked mint on first glance, I noticed a slight warp in the top as a result of one of the braces close to the soundhole being detached. The seller claims he didn't notice the problem and offered a refund. I brought it to a local repair shop and they inspected the other braces which seem fine. They can re-glue the detached brace as well as the rosette that came off and they suggested that it was a manufacturing flaw, with possibly not enough glue applied to the whole guitar - they warned that all braces might be affected in the long term. Is this a common problem with Ovations - how worried should I be?

Also, I noticed some scratches above the the label in the soundhole. Is it possible that it's a refurbished/factory second model and that's where a sticker would be that has been removed?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-12 9:22 AM (#199523 - in reply to #199522)
Subject: Re: bracing problem

I'm curious. What model 12 string is it, and how old is it?
d'ovation
Posted 2003-12-12 10:43 AM (#199524 - in reply to #199522)

It's a Balladeer with the OP24 preamp ... according to the serial number I would say it was built in early 2001.
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-12-12 12:30 PM (#199525 - in reply to #199522)

I certainly have never heard of that as being a problem with O's in general. I'm not sure I buy their assertion that you're gonna have problems with the other braces. I would just reglue the brace and play the hell out of it!

Franklin
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-12 12:41 PM (#199526 - in reply to #199522)

Franklin's right. Spend $40, reglue the brace and rosette and your guitar should be fine. Ovation's are not know for having the type of problems that they are trying to assert regarding your guitar.
Nils
Posted 2003-12-13 10:07 PM (#199527 - in reply to #199522)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
Franklin's right. Spend $40, reglue the brace and rosette and your guitar should be fine. Ovation's are not know for having the type of problems that they are trying to assert regarding your guitar.

...and after it's repaired scan the bill & send a copy to the seller. Email him first & tell him you're going to have it fixed. Maybe he'll cover it. I would if I had advertised a "flawless" guitar not realizing it had a loose brace. Can't hurt to ask, especially if no feedback has been given yet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)