The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Taylor Ad

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-15 8:21 AM (#199493 - in reply to #199468)
Subject: Re: Taylor Ad

... or scope out naked women.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2003-12-15 8:24 AM (#199494 - in reply to #199468)

whatever it takes......
cliff
Posted 2003-12-15 11:27 AM (#199495 - in reply to #199468)

The pic was originally e-mailed to me by someone who thought I'd like it (don't ask!).

It IS in fact that artist that has been previously mentioned, but unfortunately I can't recall his name right now (You'd THINK that after defacing this poor guy's "art", I'd at LEAST give him his due recognition, but I honestly can't remember his name. My apologies to you, Sir). There was recently an episode of HBO's "America Under Cover" that focused on him and his photography.
Al's right. He had done something in Sydney with like 30,000 naked people all just "lying down" in unison. Some gig.

I had originally e-mailed this "ad" to a few select individuals here some time ago during the heat of a LONG discussion regarding the old "Ovation/Taylor/Martin" thing. It is/was NOT intended as a slam against Taylor or their guitars. I think Taylor builds some very fine, well-crafted furniture that (if I could afford it)I would proudly adorn my walls with. The tongue-in-cheek was firmly planted in the direction of the "sheep" (both consumers and - more importantly - PURVEYORS) who ritualistically genuflect to these instruments simply because they're EXPECTED to . . . . and do.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-15 11:31 AM (#199496 - in reply to #199468)

". . . Cliff is a nut with a twisted sense of humor . . ."

That's "MISTER Nut with a Twisted Sense of Humour" to you, Sir!! ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-15 1:29 PM (#199497 - in reply to #199468)

Just a comment to toss in...

Having recently been exposed to Martin and Taylor guitars hands on.... I don't get Taylor. I realize I'm not the best authority, but it seems like if you want wood, get a Martin, If you want some innovation, get Ovation. If you want wood, but Martin isn't your cup'o tea, get a Collins or go to any one of many fine luthiers and find or have built what you need. It seems to me like Taylor is a copy of something that is still quite available at the same price, namely Martin.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-12-15 2:20 PM (#199498 - in reply to #199468)

Yesterday evening my church choir had thier Christmas Party after the matinee Christmas concert. Some of us brought guitars. I brought my Legend and my Applause mandolin. We ended up trying to play along as people threw out Christmas songs. Three guitars: Martin, Guild, Ovation (no Taylors). No amplification. Many voices. I played my mando most of the time and another person played my shallow body O. I swear that you could hear the Legend better than the Guild or Martin and the Guild is a dreadnaught. For a little while I put the mando down and was playing on the Guild (it needed new strings in a bad way), but I could flat out not hear it amongst the voices and other guitars. The Martin and Guild, especially, are beautiful guitars, but the O was the workhorse!! I was doing my best to not have my preference for Ovations cloud my hearing. But it cut through better than the other guitars....
Beal
Posted 2003-12-15 4:48 PM (#199499 - in reply to #199468)

Paul, They kinda work like they're supposed to. Don't you love it when that happens?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-15 7:07 PM (#199500 - in reply to #199468)

Taylor is possibly a copy of Martin, but like other things where the intent is to reproduce something that is well done, it falls a little short, at least on sound quality.

On workmanship and appearance they don't, though. If I wanted an attractive guitar for a wall hanging, or just to sit around and look cool, Taylors would be high on my list.

Again, if the reader of this LIKES Taylors and their sound quality, more power to you....I'm only expressing how I feel about them. Your mileage may vary. Although if you're a huge Taylor fan, I wonder a bit what you're doing here on this board......

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-16 1:08 AM (#199501 - in reply to #199468)

Now I can't get to sleep, I used to count sheep, now I find myself counting naked women. Curse you MISTER Cliff.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-16 8:28 AM (#199502 - in reply to #199468)

It all depends what you're picturing them jumping over, Bailey. ;)
richardd
Posted 2003-12-16 8:28 AM (#199503 - in reply to #199468)

Originally posted by Old Applause Owner:
Taylor is possibly a copy of Martin, but like other things where the intent is to reproduce something that is well done, it falls a little short, at least on sound quality.

On workmanship and appearance they don't, though. If I wanted an attractive guitar for a wall hanging, or just to sit around and look cool, Taylors would be high on my list.

Again, if the reader of this LIKES Taylors and their sound quality, more power to you....I'm only expressing how I feel about them. Your mileage may vary. Although if you're a huge Taylor fan, I wonder a bit what you're doing here on this board......

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String

I know we all have different views on what we like and that's great but I can't understand why Taylor seems to have become the brand OFC'ers love to hate.

Let me say that I own two Ovations and two Taylors (yes it's possible to like both) and all are fine instruments.They all sound different and are used for different applications.

Also, as much as I've played some fine Martins, Taylors are not Martin copies. They have many constructional differences and their basic signature tonalities are quite distinct.

Frankly I think it's silly to simply dismiss any major manufacturer. I mean I've never played a Gibson or Guild acoustic that really grabbed me but these companies sell thousands of guitars every year so I'm sure there are great ones out there.

So it's live and let live I say, there's room for all, even Taylor players.

;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-16 10:46 PM (#199504 - in reply to #199468)

" Taylors are not Martin copies. They have many constructional differences and their basic signature tonalities are quite distinct."

Richardd, thanks. I had not thought about it that way. Although my acoustic ear is getting better, I tend to lump guitars into Ovation and Not-Ovation. Martin has a distinct sound that I view as a "baseline" but that isn't really fair. It is distinct, and so is Taylor and others. Also, although tone is very important, I put the same amount of weight into my opinions of sound with regard to volume and consistancy across the length of the neck, and also tonal range. I find most wood guitars I hear have the low frequencies covers very well, but when it comes to the highs, many seem to lack the volume to hear them. Enter Ovation of course, and I also noticed to my surprise Martin and some older Gibsons I have heard mange to have a pretty good volume balance across the neck. Not up with Ovation, but better than I expected. The few Taylors I have heard have been a little "milk toast" to me. Of course the recording engineer side of me would lean that way if the other choice was only overly bass to where I had to compensate for the highs. Anyway, thanks for getting the neurons to fire.
richardd
Posted 2003-12-17 3:12 AM (#199505 - in reply to #199468)

I can certainly understand your love of Ovations from a recording engineers point of view.

No acoustic I've played compares to my Adamas in terms it's beautifully balanced tone right across it's entire playing range.

They are a joy to record.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)