The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Amps again

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

willard
Posted 2003-12-14 8:24 AM (#199401)
Subject: Amps again

I know we've been around this subject before but...I've been looking at amps again and it seems that the preferred brands are Trace, Ashdown, and Genz-Benz. At least these are the prefered brands by the vocal minority. The lurkers out there havne't said much. All of the better models go for $500 and up.

No-one has said much about PA's. It seems that if the object is to get as pure a sound as possible and have the ability for a vocal input, small self powered PA's might be the way to go. Looks like they would cost less than a TA-100R or a Shen 100 and the freight would be less as well.

Does anyone have comments on the + and - of using PA's and recomendations?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-14 9:02 AM (#199402 - in reply to #199401)
Subject: Re: Amps again

Bill, for the most part acoustic amps should really be considered as personal monitors which are used alongside a main PA system. Another perfectly viable alternative to an acoustic amp is a compact mixer with digital effects (such as a Mackie or Berhinger) and an active PA loudspeaker such as a JBL Eon, Samson Expedition or Mackie SRM450. This produces a killer acoustic rig which can handle vocals as well as instruments, and can be turned into a more powerful main system with the addition of a second active speaker.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-14 12:37 PM (#199403 - in reply to #199401)

bill
you get what you pay for.
BruDeV
Posted 2003-12-14 12:40 PM (#199404 - in reply to #199401)

Any thoughts on using a keyboard amp for acoustic guitar. Judging by the frequency range specs, they ought to work fairly well. Also, most of them have multiple inputs with trimmers.

As an example:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=KB100&P1=KBA
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-14 1:31 PM (#199405 - in reply to #199401)

Keyboard amps generally do a pretty good job for acoustic instruments, though most need a little extra EQ. Those that have an HF horn are the best bet
willard
Posted 2003-12-14 2:01 PM (#199406 - in reply to #199401)

you get what you pay for.

I wish I could afford the older TA-100R that's on Ebay now but just can't swing it. Mabe after Christmas, people will get a little more desperate and the prices will fall. I really wasn't looking for a cheap alternative just a less expensive one. It almost seems that the PA route gives more options AND is less expensive. I supose that after you buy the powered speaker the costs may be about the same.
Gene B
Posted 2003-12-14 4:18 PM (#199407 - in reply to #199401)

Thae Carvin acoustic amp AG100D has gotten great reviews and is resonably priced. Thay also make PA systems PA systemsthat are a good value. I own a couple of their guitars and a 'Vintage 16' amplifier and am completely saltisfied with their value and quality.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-14 5:39 PM (#199408 - in reply to #199401)

I'm a big Carvin amp fan. I have an Anniversary stack that I love. Played an EA Viper 12-string thru it the other day and about blew the windows out of the house. Carvin has been making professional workhorse amps and mixers for years. I'm not a fan of their guitars only because of the headstock design. It just doesn't suit me, but I have played them, and they are great too, and in fact I use thier pickups on other guitars often. I'd like to check out their acoustic amp. I would guess based on everything else they have done over the years you can't go wrong with it, if it has the features you need.
45flint
Posted 2003-12-15 11:25 AM (#199409 - in reply to #199401)

I have a Genz-Benz Shenandoah 200. I would like to see someone who has seen that and the Trace Elliot to compare them. The features on the GB seem to far outpace the Trace for less money. And what is just as important are the vocals which on the GB seem hard to beat. But I admit I do not have experience with the Trace.
Steve
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-15 1:16 PM (#199410 - in reply to #199401)

I too was looking for an acoustic amp, not too long ago. Being used to amps for electic guitars, where bigger is better, it took some convincing to understand that in an acoustic amp, 5, 6, 8 inch speakers could do the job. Also, that 50 watts in an acoustic amp can put out a lot of sound.
You haven't stated what your needs are in an amp, play in big rooms, vocals or guitar only, how many inputs you need. And you are asking the right people (not me, but the others) they gave me much to think about, I searched the old posts,etc.
I started out by thinking about a PA system, but did not want to carry abound all the pieces.
I ended up with a 50watt Ultrasound, 2 channel.
My point is: decide what your needs are in an amp,take your guitar someplace where you can try out some amps, try a 50 watt, you may find it is all you need.
Many of the knowledgeable people on this board like Trace amps, some swear by their 30, 40 watt amps. There was a TA50 on Ebay that was about the price range you seem to be looking for.
Good luck in your quest, let us know how it turns out.
Noel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)