The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1763 Classic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-14 11:03 PM (#199363)
Subject: 1763 Classic

Just bought a 1763 Classic for $433, going to pick up from seller tomorrow...if it doesn't match listing, he won't get my money. My decision was influenced by the posts in archive (especially by ovation06057, particularly as to the AAA cedar top.)

Couldn't find info on the Ovation site but OFC came through. Thanks. In addition, although for a 1987, the following advertisement from Elderly:
OVATION 1763 CLASSIC (1987) EC-, classic-electric, factory OP24 pickup with 3-band EQ and volume control, deep bowl, rounded cutaway, solid cedar top, gloss finish, 12 fret 5-piece mahogany / maple neck with slotted headstock, 19 fret ebony fingerboard (side dot markers at 5th and 7th fret only), walnut bridge, 3-on-a-plate gold tuners with white pearloid buttons, w-b-w-b-w-b-w-b top purfling, 15-7/8" lower bout, 665mm scale, 2" nut width, with black thermoplastic OHSC (black lining)$750 from Elderly Instruments, 12/13/03.

Not a classical player, but now I don't have to pick up my $60-80 classical non-logo for the soft, warm nylon sound.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-14 11:15 PM (#199364 - in reply to #199363)
Subject: Re: 1763 Classic

Tony, you're going to like this guitar. Good acoustic sound, good plugged in sound. I had one for awhile, but sold it when I got my Country Artist (more suited to my style, or lack thereof).

Just a suggetion, I found Pro Arte high tenion strings to work well.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-14 11:20 PM (#199365 - in reply to #199363)

Paul,

Thanks...will try them. And, left your name out as past posts that helped but they were very helpful. Amazing what we can find in archive...wasn't it you that said you sometimes go back into archive telling your wife you are working on taxes? :) In all seriousness, just takes a couple of minutes to find a lot of knowledge through prior posts.
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-15 6:05 PM (#199366 - in reply to #199363)

Got the guitar today (1988 Classic)...excellent condition and beautiful, better than expected. Even with the old strings, sounds fantastic.

Although I knew the case would be very poor, I am amazed at the condition, started laughing when I first saw it - absolutely held together by strapping tape and silicon sealer...clasps work but hinges damaged. Trim barely hanging on. Inside is good. Speaks well for the case as it did protect the contents. Case will be a throwaway...the guitar deserves a better case.

Elderly has a 1987 for $750.
http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/28U-1622.htm
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-16 1:20 AM (#199367 - in reply to #199363)

Tony

Don't throw away that case, haven't you noticed that the best pickers have the worst cases. Nothing breaks up a good jam session quicker than that eager fellow with the shiny new case, out of which usually comes a shiny expensive new guitar tuned 2 steps away from standard which he says "you fellows are going to have to tune to me, as I'm sure I'm standard, my son tuned this before I left home 2 days ago, please play in C as thats my best key."

Then there is the guy with the case like yours, pulls out his aged but well kept guitar, knocks off a little perfect Doc Watson imitation in perfect tune, and says "hit it boys, I can play anything you want." and he can.

Bailey
Tony Calman
Posted 2003-12-16 1:33 AM (#199368 - in reply to #199363)

picture the whole brown top physically removed from the hinges - residue of old black ?silicon seal or whatever cacked around the edges. Only thing holding the top on is the clear plastic strapping tape. ovation logo worn to black. pieces of the trim missing...obviously not the original as this is the brown circa 80-82 and the guitar is yr 1988.

heck, the inside is good, has a handle, and hinges work but have to be careful when opening not to break the tape.

may keep for an emergency or maybe an eBay listing as "vintage", with character, with "I'll send pictures later."

the seller did list case as poor and the guitar is absolutely as good as new so no complaint for a 1988. wished I looked as good as I did in 1988.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)