The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Through the wood cracks-What to do?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Mitchrx
Posted 2003-12-16 11:32 AM (#199335)
Subject: Through the wood cracks-What to do?

I have an '81 1619 Custom Legend that I just bought on eBay. It has a through the wood crack that extends from the bottom of the bridge at the D string all the way to the bottom of the guitar, even through the abalone edging. There are also some minor finish cracks, or more accurately finish checking at the bottom also. I looked at the previous postings on the subject of what to do with these very common cracks and there appears to be two opinions-do nothing, or have it fixed by someone who knows about these things. The guitar plays better than a Taylor 410 that I recently sold and sounds incredible, almost as good as the Taylor, but different. I think that the crack has been there for a long time. I live in the NYC area, but the guitar came from Las Vegas. Low humidity appears to have been the cause. What is the real benefit of having the crack repaired? Cosmetically, it doesn't bother me because the guitar sounds so good. My inclination is to leave it alone, however I could use some expert advise on whether and why I should have it fixed instead.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-16 12:15 PM (#199336 - in reply to #199335)
Subject: Re: Through the wood cracks-What to do?

If the wood crack feels solid, ie, when you push on either side of it, there is no movement in the wood, then I would be tempted to leave it alone and just take good care of the guitar. If the wood seems to move, then get it fixed.

Welcome to the group. You're another person who has discovered that if you play with your senses instead of your prejudices, that Ovations are wonderful guitars.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-16 12:47 PM (#199337 - in reply to #199335)

I would be more cautious. If you are sure the crack is in the wood then have it fixed. Regardless of whether it can be moved, a structural crack in the top exposes end-grain, which is one of the factors which can make a minor crack a lot worse, as end-grain allows the wood to respond easily to changes in humidity. Also cracks can accumulate dirt & gunk pretty quickly. If the crack gets a lot worse it may not close up & will need a splice, which adds expense to the repair
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-16 1:06 PM (#199338 - in reply to #199335)

I agree with Paul T. The cracks that can be ignored are the ones in the finish, as they tend to stabilize and are primarily a cosmetic issue. A crack through the wood is a much more serious problem, and is not going to be stable without repair.

I just got a Balladeer #1861 off of eBay that had a nasty crack in the top (a disingenuous seller....). I took some Elmer's glue and worked it in good and then used pro masking tape (the stretchy kind) to hold the seam in place overnight. It sealed the crack and has the advantage of cleaning up easily.

And I welcomed another funky cracked Ovation to my family.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-16 1:22 PM (#199339 - in reply to #199335)

I happily bow to Paul & Paul's points of view. If the crack is thru the wood, get it repaired. It's probably cheap insurance anyway.
an4340
Posted 2003-12-16 3:42 PM (#199340 - in reply to #199335)

Mitchrx,
If you need a luthier in NYC, the two I've used are Umanov's and Carmine Street. I've been happy with both of them. If you don't use them could you post who you use? Thanks.
Rick
Mitchrx
Posted 2003-12-17 9:35 AM (#199341 - in reply to #199335)

Many gracious thanks to all for the quick and informative replys. I'll get it fixed as insurance against future woes even though the wood is completely stable. For those who live in the NYC/Long Island area and are looking for a reputable luthier, I recommend "Guitar Doctor" in New Hyde Park. The owner's name is Chris and he operates "The American Guitar Museum" out of an old house on New Hyde Park Road just north of Hillside Avenue (Rte 25b). He has quite a nice collection of vintage guitars, many of which are for sale, along with some some unusual guitar memorabilia. Chris has no bias against Ovations. His telephone number is 516-488-5000. My 14 year old son takes guitar lessons there, and I know that he does reliable repairs at reasonable prices. Thanks again for the advice on maintaining my newly acquired gem.
Regards, Mitch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)