The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Mystery Ovation Amp from 1970

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

ferguson6552
Posted 2003-12-17 10:17 AM (#199274)
Subject: Mystery Ovation Amp from 1970

In 1970 I purchased an Ovation amplifier (for guitar). I remember very little about it and have no photos, but I would like to get some information about it and possibly a photo or two.

I don't remember the model number. All I recall is that there were two parts: (a) the main amp (an upright combo, 2x12" I believe but can't be certain; no recollection as to wattage either; perhaps had casters) and (b) an upper separate unit containing two high frequency horns. I believe both parts were covered in a padded material.

Can anybody tell me anything about this amp and point me in the direction of a photo?

Thanks a million.

Daniel
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-17 1:24 PM (#199275 - in reply to #199274)
Subject: Re: Mystery Ovation Amp from 1970

Hi Daniel,
I responded to your email, but I also thought my repsonse would make a good post.

We've all seen and unearthed some RARE Ovation gear over the past few years, but what's up with the PA, Guitar and Bass gear. Where is it hiding? I'm assuming they made at least a few hundred of each model... is that a poor assumption? It hit the catalogs anyway.

My curiosity stems from the fact that we have really turned up some rare pieces like the Slotheads, Bluebirds, Blue Breadwinners, PF-22's, Jerry Reed Thunderhead, Boston Double-Neck Preacher, etc etc etc.. Where is the elecronic gear all hiding? I have one microphone that is not actually branded Ovation, but the same model. I have several Amps, that I have found, but it took a lot of work, and I have not seen any others. I occationally see "parts" of amps, speaker cabs and such on ebay, but it's easier to find a mint GP or PF-22 than an Ovation amp.

Any thoughts?
TRboy
Posted 2003-12-17 5:58 PM (#199276 - in reply to #199274)

Hello Daniel,

I've got an Ovation amplifier catalog from 1971 titled Good Vibrations and in the catalog it list an amp much like you've described called "The Cat."

"THE CAT SYSTEM"
(1) 12" Audient Standard Speaker
(1) 12" Audient Extended Bass Speaker
K-6100 Power Amplifier
Dual Preamplifier with reverb,tremolo,
fuzz-blend control
K-7101-A High Frequency Horn
K-9612-1 Mix Switch (for channel control)
Enclosed dimensions-40"high,22"wide,14"deep
High Frequency Horn dimensions are 22"wide,
10"high,14"deep
.. .. .. .. ..
"THE CAT SYSTEM" 100 WATTS RMS
"The Cat" with Separate High Frequency Horn
Enclosure K7101-A.....................$570.00
.. .. .. .. ..
I tried to get my scanner working to post a pic but can't figger out this "high tech" junk!!(to old :rolleyes: )(me not the scanner) I'll try again later!(read-when my son gets home!!)
.. .. .. .. ..
Does this sound like what you have?

Mike :cool:
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-17 6:11 PM (#199277 - in reply to #199274)

I've got an Ovation amp catalog that I would guess is from about 1967-68 (it's old and has a Thunderhead and Deluxe Balladeer on the back cover). If you'd like, I'll scan the pics of the amps (the pages they're on) and email them to you.
xbj
Posted 2003-12-18 6:42 PM (#199278 - in reply to #199274)

The few amps I've seen on eBay have been in horrendous shape, just shot to hell.

My guess is that, although solid state gear was what most everyone else was making, tube gear was becoming THE gear you needed to get the British sound; specifically, Marshalls.

So Ovation didn't sell much of it, closed it out pretty quick, the folks that did buy it bought it for pennies on the dollar and treated it accordingly.

About the only reason I can figure out for all of it showing up so trashed, and for there being so little of it. As it didn't cost anything in the first place for most of the purchasers, they also probably threw them away when they went bad instead of having them repaired.

Sad. And why I'm building replicas all January.

If Ovation ever goes into the amp business again (and uses the same great styling) USE TUBES. They'd still be making 'em today if they had.

Les

Originally posted by Mr. Ovation:
Hi Daniel,
I responded to your email, but I also thought my repsonse would make a good post.

We've all seen and unearthed some RARE Ovation gear over the past few years, but what's up with the PA, Guitar and Bass gear. Where is it hiding? I'm assuming they made at least a few hundred of each model... is that a poor assumption? It hit the catalogs anyway.

My curiosity stems from the fact that we have really turned up some rare pieces like the Slotheads, Bluebirds, Blue Breadwinners, PF-22's, Jerry Reed Thunderhead, Boston Double-Neck Preacher, etc etc etc.. Where is the elecronic gear all hiding? I have one microphone that is not actually branded Ovation, but the same model. I have several Amps, that I have found, but it took a lot of work, and I have not seen any others. I occationally see "parts" of amps, speaker cabs and such on ebay, but it's easier to find a mint GP or PF-22 than an Ovation amp.

Any thoughts?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-18 10:34 PM (#199279 - in reply to #199274)

Les I agree to some extent on the tube thing, but I was just commenting on how we can find fairly easily plenty of mint very rare pieces, and can find hardly ANY (mint or otherwise) of the amps.

Like many things that came out of Hartford, CT these amps are very under-rated. Especially the Bass dude amps. I have a 15" dude sitting next to an Ampeg B15N, and an Eden/Nemesis 2 x 10 in the studio. For a "vintage" sound, it's always a tossup between the Ovation and the B15N. The Ampeg is a classic and great for Rock'n ROll, but if you want that really low end smooth no farting bass sound, like almost what you would hear from an upright... that Ovation is the way to go.

The Guitar amp is good, but technology has led to improvements in solid state that cannot compare. It has good tone which is nice live, but recording it's a bit to noisey by todays standards. It does however work with Keyboards nicely if you keep the effects offline. Nice and quiet.

I tend to agree about treating them if you got a bargain, but I would guess a lot of them sold for the going price and they weren't cheap.

So, back to the question... where are they hiding?
xbj
Posted 2003-12-19 10:41 PM (#199280 - in reply to #199274)

We can find instruments because they're timeless and less dependent on technology. Amps, especially solid state amps, are more technology driven. Ovation could never score a large rock act to tour with the amps, unlike similar makes like Acoustic and Heil, for example. You'd also be hard-pressed to find Heil or Acoustic sound equipment today in good condition as well, and they had major rock act status, had to have sold many more thousands of units. People love their instruments and take care of them; amps are more like tools, quickly discarded every five years or so (except vintage amps.)

I still think sadly most of 'em ended up in the trash, and the few I've been able to turn up were in such sad shape it was a miracle they weren't trashed long ago. If you have working models in near-mint, or even good shape, they're pretty miraculous. We do know the few remaining ones walked off from the factory years ago.

But there is hope... after all, they're making Kustom amps again, and I remember their horrible reputation. But they sure look cool with that zodiac naugahyde tuck and roll. And I doubt the new Kustom's have the same electronic design.

Ovation might one day make a modeling amp with the same vintage styling... how many current amp companies started with one incredible model?

Les
:)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-19 11:59 PM (#199281 - in reply to #199274)

I hear what you are saying Les, and I guess time will tell. I know I have "stumbled" across some very rare old amps like Rockman 500 and a 250 and even 1 x 12 and 2 x 12 Rockman combo amps. Remember the Crate SLM1 that actually looked like a crate? I have a gaggle of them in nice condition too. How about a rockman RockBox designed for Genesis? I have litereally stumbled across these and in the past 5 or six years seen a few examples of each on eBay. The Ovation gear I have all came from spending months on the phone just calling pawn shops and other collectors many around CT and of course Al turned up a couple, but it was hard work.

I guess my point is that I have seen a lot of crap on eBay and at guitar shows, that people are basically "giving" away if they can get someone to take it.... but hardly ever an Ovation amp, and I just find that odd. I know one music store in CT that sold tons of the gear at normal prices. It didn't all end up in the trash. I think there are a LOT of amps out there that should have, but in '71 the Dudes' were in the $500 range, the CAT combo amps like mentioned above were nearly $800 and the PA systems were listing at nearly 3K. That wasn't chump change back then, and I know at least one store that didn't have a problem selling them.

I will scan the pricelist and catalog I have that lists about 20 models of Guitar, Bass and PA systems. I am looking for more at this time.

Great gear if you can find it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-20 6:40 AM (#199282 - in reply to #199274)

The Mother Dude PA system was way ahead of it's time. Here was a 3-way full-range active loudspeaker, back in the early 70's. Active speakers have become the hot thing in sound reinforcement, 30 years later!! The only problem was the list price back then was around $1200 a unit. The Mother Dudes crop up on Ebay occasionaly & go for beans. Now one of those with a little mixer would make one hell of an acoustic guitar amp.
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-20 8:08 AM (#199283 - in reply to #199274)

I've got a Guitar Dude and a Bass Dude. The GD is pretty much just for looks, but the BD is a real stud. My daughter plays bass in a band and uses it at least 4 days a week. The thing just rocks and is built like a tank. I'm sure you can buy better today, but for a 30 year old vintage amp this one is great. A few years ago I just missed out on a nice condition Ovation OPAS system on ebay that went for $400. I have no justification why I needed it. Dave
ferguson6552
Posted 2003-12-22 12:16 PM (#199284 - in reply to #199274)

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It looks like Trboy's information on "The Cat" system from the 1971 catalog might just be the amp I owned from 1970 to ca. 1975. He's promised me a scanned photo (Thanks man!), but if anyone else has either information or photos (or both) of the Cat amp system from 1970, PLEASE send them along to me. My personal address is "ferguson6552 -at- hotmail-dot-com".

Thanks again.

ferguson6552
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)