The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ho Ho Hoey!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

xnoel
Posted 2003-12-18 8:28 PM (#199185)
Subject: Ho Ho Hoey!

Maybe I am strange, but I just don't care for traditional Christmas music. There are some great melodies and harmonies, but I guess growing up in the 50's I prefer rock.
Sometimes, in the morning, I listen to a radio program, The John Boy and Billy Big Show, today they had this guy Gary Hoey on. He played some Christmas songs on electric guitar. He has a web site, garyhoey.com. I checked it out, and found he plays only instrumentals, maybe one vocal on his new album.
You can listen to some cuts from several songs, you may not like it, but obviously I do.
You can also check out his gear, one of his acoustics is an Adamas? can someone id it for me?

btw, the John Boy and Billy Big Show is pretty funny sometimes, other times a little over the top.
Noel
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-18 10:24 PM (#199186 - in reply to #199185)
Subject: Re: Ho Ho Hoey!

I like Buster Poindexter's version of "Zat You Santa Claus?"
Todd G.
Posted 2003-12-18 11:17 PM (#199187 - in reply to #199185)

Hoey is actually an incredibly talented guitar player and writer. First time I heard him was in a group called "Heavy Bones" with Quiet Riot drummer Frankie Banali and collaborated with Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme) on their first and only album back in 1992. "Animal Instinct" is a solo album of his that I have that came out a few years later. He does a cover of "Hocus Pocus" that ROCKS. Good guitar record--variety of rock and jazz-blues type stuff.

And last time I checked, he was also a Hamer endorser.

Check him out.

Todd
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-19 8:12 AM (#199188 - in reply to #199185)

Gary Hoey was an endorser of Hamer guitars back in the '90's, so his relationship with Kaman goes back a while. It's not surprising he plays an Adamas.

Of course I am not surprised when any good guitarist plays an Adamas or Ovation....
alpep
Posted 2003-12-19 8:15 AM (#199189 - in reply to #199185)

Paul B
you are so right!!!! Hamer and Ovation rock!
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-19 8:16 AM (#199190 - in reply to #199185)

Xnoel,

Funny that of all people YOU are the one to mention this.

X-mas = Christmas
Noël means christmas in french.

So your alias proves you wrong. You DO like traditional christmas music. In fact, I have a strong suspicion that you are SantaClaus, trying to makebelieve that you're not.

In spite of what my friends say, I just KNOW you exist.

BTW: Can I have an Adamas 12-string SMT this year please? You can have it delivered by mail, since I have no chimney.

Martin
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-19 10:45 AM (#199191 - in reply to #199185)

Martin,

You have blown my cover! In fact I did play Santa just a few days ago at my wife's daycare center. Many years ago I was going to night school and riding with a guy from Peru. One night at his house he introduced me to his two young daughters and they giggled at my name. He explained that in Peru, Papa Noel is what the kids call Santa Claus.
Strangely enough, one of the names I am known by with nearly every kid in town and some of the adults is papa Noel. (not with French or Spanish pronunciation, after all this is Oklahoma and we have our own English dialect)My other nickname is leon (noel backwards)
But I still don't care for traditional music.

Happy Holidays, Noel
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-19 1:36 PM (#199192 - in reply to #199185)

I remember Gary Hoey back from the 80-90's...he was bunched in there with Satriani and Vai type players. I think I had one of his cds. I saw a photo of him recently and he looks very different.

There's been an interesting band that does "rock" Christmas music, all original arrangements, and "concept" Christmas albums (no less) called the Transiberian Orchestra. They've been putting out like 1 cd a year around Christmas and do a tour each year. I have one of the cds and it's pretty good. It's still got a Christmas sound, but is a bit heavier..lots o' electric guitar stuff...and is very majestic sounding.

Johnny
cliff
Posted 2003-12-19 2:29 PM (#199193 - in reply to #199185)

Johnny;
They just played at the Beacon Theatre and at NJPAC (did get to catch either show :rolleyes: ). Rick and I have been doing a song ("Old City Bar") off the first album at our recent "holiday" gigs. I like some of their stuff when I'm in the mood for that kind of "power chord" stuff. I like the first album. I bought the subsequent ones, but don't really play 'em.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-19 2:59 PM (#199194 - in reply to #199185)

The problem with most Christmas music is that it's old and we've heard it a million times. It's worn out.
BUTY if there's a new twist on it I enjoy it, at least for a while. Been listening to Ed Gerhard's 2 christmas cds and his arrangements are great, Jingle Bells done to a travis walking bass line! very cool
And there's a Ray Charles christmas cd that is very jazzy, also nice.

And then there's the Kenny G cd my wife plays. Reminds me of a joke I heard at a Manny's Music golf tournament. You're in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and Saddam and you have a gun with two bullits. Who do you shoot? Kenny G, twice.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-19 3:02 PM (#199195 - in reply to #199185)

cwk

check out the John Fahey christmas album. it is GREAT. some cool fingerstyle guitar arrangements of all the christmas classics and some obscure stuff
cliff
Posted 2003-12-19 3:17 PM (#199196 - in reply to #199185)

I have that first Fahey Christmas Album on vinyl in uplayable condition - I wore the shit out of it. Need to re-acquaint myself to it in the digital realm.

Today at work (my last day before "vayK") I've been listening to the Chieftains, Jethro Tull, and Paul Winter Consort Christmas albums.

btw Bill;
LOVE that Kenny G. joke!
(but then, you knew I would, didn't you?) :D
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-19 4:50 PM (#199197 - in reply to #199185)

Was wondering about that new Tull Christmas CD.

I've been considering those Transiberian Shows, Cliff, but my holidays are too busy. Thanks, though.

Enjoy Vacation!
J
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-19 6:10 PM (#199198 - in reply to #199185)

If you're sick of the same lame old Christmas tunes, this is the album you need

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=60101695&loc=109

There's an audio clip of the first track by "The Christmas Jug Band" which is actually Dan Hicks & His Hot Licks" It's a spoof of the old Jazz standard "somebody stole my gal" called "Somebody stole my Santa Claus suit" and kinda sets the mood for the whole album. Round here that CD gets played daily from mid-October. My middle name isn't "Scrooge" for nothing
cliff
Posted 2003-12-19 6:28 PM (#199199 - in reply to #199185)

There's a pretty good Christmas album too by Squirrel Nut Zippers.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-19 7:29 PM (#199200 - in reply to #199185)

Leon Redbone's "Christmas Island" CD is pretty cool, although I'm not sure if a version of "White Christmas" by a Bing soundalike is intended as irony, postmodernism, or just cashing-in.
TRboy
Posted 2003-12-19 8:33 PM (#199201 - in reply to #199185)

Paul T,

The Christmas Jug Band has a CD entittled "Uncorced" which came out in 2002 and has some zany Christmas tune on it. The station I listen to www.wncw.org has been playing the cut "Santa Lost A Ho" which is destined to become a standard (atleast in this neck of the woods!!)

. . . .
I agree with xnoel & cwk2 that traditional Christmas tunes are stale and boring! How many "different" version of White Christmas,Silent Night,etc. can you hear over and over and over.........[snore..zzzzzzz]
. . . .

Mike :rolleyes: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=60574937&sp=1&loc=109&queryType=
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-20 1:33 AM (#199202 - in reply to #199185)

Paul T

Merry Christmas

Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks?? I think you really dated yourself, one of my favorite bands, I have a record album by them somewhere but I don't have a turntable or I would dig it out and play it. They combined novelty and skill, "I'm Just a Waitress", "Payday" etc. They did an Austin CL or something a while back that I might have taped, but I don't think so.

For a Xmas music change of pace, I watched an excellent PBS Bluegrass Christmas show, very few traditional songs, top notch bluegrass bands.

Bailey
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-20 5:41 AM (#199203 - in reply to #199185)

Originally posted by Bailey:
I think you really dated yourself,

I have to, it's the only way I can get a date.

Hicks & most of the original Hotlicks have just toured the UK. They were amazing.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-21 1:25 AM (#199204 - in reply to #199185)

Paul T

I fantasize that they did well and attracted some nice crowds, good to hear they are still putting out the music. If they hit the states again I'll follow their venues and try to go see them.

Bailey (If I seem distracted it's because I'm watching the last day of the Australian Open that has come on at midnight the last four days.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)