The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
arch top roundback?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Philphine
Posted 2003-12-23 5:40 PM (#199056)
Subject: arch top roundback?

i have a few solidbody ovations (the reason why i searched out this site) and have been wanting a nice acoustic. i've been seeing an archtop ovation and wondering if there's anything about it that might make it more appealing than a regular flat top ovation. truthfully i just like the idea of it and it looks nice (2000 collectors series). thanks for any thought on it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-23 6:05 PM (#199057 - in reply to #199056)
Subject: Re: arch top roundback?

The term "arch-top" is a little confusing in this context. Most people will understand "archtop" to mean either a carved top jazz guitar such as a Gibson L5, or a pressed laminated top such as a Gibson ES175 or 335. As far as Ovation "archtops" are concerned what is meant is a flat-top with a very slight arch built-in, and as the design uses a regular fixed bridge rather than a moveable bridge & tailpiece, it sounds exactly like a flat-top. Several flat-top makers use this technique, but it is not an arch-top in the traditional sense. A better term may be a "pre-stressed" top.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-23 7:55 PM (#199058 - in reply to #199056)
Subject: Re: arch top roundback?

As most think of arched tops there is about 1/2 to 1" variation in the height of the top. The Ovation arch in the acoustics is probably no more than .100"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)