The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Early Xmas Present - Jim Croce

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-24 7:10 AM (#199027)
Subject: Early Xmas Present - Jim Croce

I have a hard time xmas shopping because I always see things that I want to buy for myself instead of others. That's the old xmas spirit, eh? Anyway, Borders had the Jim Croce Live DVD on sale for $12.99 for I picked it up. Man, it is REALLY good. Photo on the cover is Jim playing a Martin D, but the live footage is about 2/3 Ovation. Some really nice guitar shots of the sunburst Legend. Although the Legend is amplified (single volume knob), Jim plays it unplugged and mic'ed. The performances and musicianship is of course first rate. I would highly recommend this DVD to everyone. Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
zorjon
Posted 2003-12-24 7:40 AM (#199028 - in reply to #199027)
Subject: Re: Early Xmas Present - Jim Croce

Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am a huge Croce fan and never had a chance to ever see any live footage, so this will be perfect.

Also you have a great collection of Ovations in the gallery.

John
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-24 8:46 AM (#199029 - in reply to #199027)

Where did you find the DVD?
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-24 9:02 AM (#199030 - in reply to #199027)

I bought it at Borders. I've also seen it at Best Buy. Try an online search and I'm sure you can get it from CDNow or Amazon. Dave

Hey Cliff - How do I capture a still from the DVD? I could post a few pictures.
burak
Posted 2003-12-28 11:36 PM (#199031 - in reply to #199027)

I saw some of the footage at Vh1 Classic. I have a Legend Ltd from 1979 looks very much like his guitar mine is a little darker, nutmeg. I play a lot of his material when I play live. It's a great feeling seeing a musician that you adore, plays the same kind of guitar :) He sounded exactly like the record in his performances, what a great talent he was.
Jeff
Posted 2003-12-29 10:56 AM (#199032 - in reply to #199027)

That's one I'll definitely want to check out... Jim Croce was an awesome talent! While we're on the subject of great music DVDs, I'd like to recommend one my wife gave me for Christmas called "Concert For George."

Unfortunately, there's not a single Ovation to be found anywhere on the stage, but it is still nonetheless a musical masterpiece if you love the music of The Beatles / George Harrison.

One thing that sets this apart from most other concerts that boast "all-star" lineups is that every featured performer here had a personal connection to George.

Eric Clapton was the on-stage musical supervisor for the event that also featured Tom Petty, Geoff Lynne, Billy Preston, and, of course, Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney! I thought Paul's performances were particularly moving (especially his version of "All Things Must Pass"). But perhaps THE highlight of the whole thing is "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," which features Eric on lead guitar and vocal; Paul on piano and harmony vocal, and Ringo on drums, marking the first time that three of the five original musicians have performed the song live... And Clapton recreates his famous guitar solo spot-on!

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)