The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Celebrity CS247 GQ, Setup questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Gary K
Posted 2003-12-25 10:32 PM (#198996)
Subject: Celebrity CS247 GQ, Setup questions

Hi,

I just bought a preowned Celeb CS247 GQ, mid bowl. Has the "square" OP-24 preamp, so I'm guessing its a '01 or so?

I'm an electric player that is getting back into acoustic playing. I've always liked Ovation for the sound, and the ability to plug in to an amp.

I've done a search and read in previous discussions here that people felt the CS247 was a easy to play guitar. My experience with mine, so far (granted 2 days) is that it is not as easy to play as I would like.

My guess is its got .012's on it. The action is higher than I would like at the 12th fret. Sighting the neck, looks to have appropriate relief. No twists.

I want to lower the action, do I need to de-string, and remove shim(s) from under the saddles?

I've already got a little string buzz on the high-E, my thinking is if I lower that string any more, the buzz will be worse.

Also curious if going to .011's would help playability (although not good for tone).

I love this guitar, and get compliments on its looks.

To recap:

Want to improve playability
Action higher than I'd like at 12th fret
Neck has relief
Need to remove shims to lower action?
Next lower string gauge (.011s) worth trying to improve playability?

TIA for any help/info/tips on this!

-Gary K

(edited by Gary K 12/26/03 to fix the model number)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-26 1:33 AM (#198997 - in reply to #198996)
Subject: Re: Celebrity CS247 GQ, Setup questions

Welcome Gary K

I think you are on the right track for improving the playability of your guitar. The only thing I'm not sure of is you say the treble is buzzing and it sounds like you need to remove shims on the bass side. somebody here should be able to give you some good detailed advice as we have discussed this frequently.

Welcome to the board and Merry Christmas.

Bailey
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-26 11:37 AM (#198998 - in reply to #198996)

Bailey,

Thanks for the welcome!

I volunteered to play guitar at church services, for the children's choir! Should be a lot of fun.

And that's why I got the Ovation, looks great, sounds great, and provides several mike/amp possibilities.

I'm really looking forward to it. I start in early January.

I believe that in addition to the children's singing, the Ovation will be a visual and sonic treat for 800 to 1000 people, twice a month.

Thanks again,
-Gary K
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-26 6:20 PM (#198999 - in reply to #198996)

Could someone tell me if this is correct?

To lower the action on a CS247 Celebrity Deluxe:

1) Lay some tape down on the guitar surface by the bridge to keep from scratching when de/re stringing.

2) De-string.

3) Remove the saddle piece.

4) Should see shim(s) underneath the saddle piece. Remove 1 shim.

5) Replace saddle piece, which now sits lower in the bridge due to the removed shim.

6) Re-string.

Correct? I don't want to break anything related with the piezo pickup, please let me know if my sequence is incorrect.

Also, if I go from .012's to .011's to (hopefully) improve playability, will the intonation be affected?

Thanks very much,
-Gary K
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-26 8:33 PM (#199000 - in reply to #198996)

Gary,

You don't need to destring it to remove a shim. It is easier that way, but all you really have to do is to loosen the strings enough to be able to pull out the bridge saddle. Once you have wiggled the saddle out, there should be at least one narrow fiberboard shim. Remove one and retighten the strings.

Going to '11's shouldn't have any effect on intonation, tho may have a mild effect on tone. Your buzzing problem may be due to fret irregularities if the neck relief is proper. Your buzz is likely to increase with lower action and lighter strings, if so.

If you are just looking at relief by sighting down the neck, it may be off enough to not really be visible. Use a thumb finger test to see what your string height is at the 7th fret or mid point. That will be a better guide to neck relief.

This isn't a complete tech workshop lesson, but may help some.
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-26 8:48 PM (#199001 - in reply to #198996)

Hi Paul,

That's very helpful! I just don't want to break anything trying to make it play a little better.

I'll give it a go based on what you posted!

Thanks very much!

-Gary K
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-26 8:59 PM (#199002 - in reply to #198996)

Paul,

Got the strings loosened.

However, the bridge saddle piece is in there pretty well, it won't come out just trying to remove it with fingernails.

Is there a "best way" to get the bridge saddle out of the bridge (to get to the shim)?

Thanks again,
-Gary K
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-26 9:19 PM (#199003 - in reply to #198996)

Just a suggestion when loosening strings. I put a capo on between the nut and the first fret or the first and second fret, then as I loosen a string I gently pull it under the capo. This keeps the windings on the tuner post from getting all "loosey goosey" and unwinding or such. I have never hurt the fingerboard this way. This is not something you would do often, so if you do it gently there there should be no damage.

Noel
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-26 9:51 PM (#199004 - in reply to #198996)

Gary,

Usually if you push down on one end of the saddle, the other will slightly elevate. If you can't get it out with fingers, you may do better gently using some needle nose pliers. Sometimes the plastic saddle gets marked a bit, but it isn't likely to hurt the pickup if you bring it out very gently. There should be at least 2-3 inches of lead that can be drawn out with it.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-27 1:14 AM (#199005 - in reply to #198996)

Noel

Great tip, something I never thought of when I fought those strings flipping all over the place. That's what's great about this board.

Bailey
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-27 10:07 AM (#199006 - in reply to #198996)

Yes, "thanks everyone" for all your help!

I did loosen the strings and remove the saddle/pickup, and I removed the 2 shims that were in there.

This (for me) improved the action, but, now the strings "fret out" starting at about the 12th fret.

When I fret the strings below the 12th fret, they ring fine. When I fret the strings at 12 and above, they buzz due to being too close to the frets.

Is there any other adjustment I can make (truss rod for example)?

Thanks very much,
-Gary K
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-27 12:03 PM (#199007 - in reply to #198996)

If the strings are fretting-out above the 12th a truss-rod adjustment won't help, it's because you've adjusted the saddle too low. Try replacing one shim. You can then check the neck relief at the fifth by fretting at the 1st & 14th frets. If there is too much clearance between the crown of the 5th fret and the string tighten the rod (a little, adjust a quarter turn at a time & let it settle for a while) If there's not enough clearance slacken off the rod.
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-27 12:49 PM (#199008 - in reply to #198996)

OK Paul, thanks very much, I'll do it!

-Gary K
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)