The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2080SR and 2081GT

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> Welcome CenterMessage format

gregggg
Posted 2011-09-26 7:07 PM (#780)
Subject: 2080SR and 2081GT

Hello

I'm considering buying an Adamas and I'm hoping you all might be able to provide some advice. I like the contour bowl, so I'm looking at the 2080SR and the 2081GT. Just celebrity's in the local music shops. So my questions are:

is there much difference between the unidirectional and woven graphite tops?

Other than aesthetics, does the single hole in the SR change the sound as compared to the more standard multi hole?

I can't find a good pic of the side of the neck of the 2080SR,I can see that there is only the one inlay, does anyone know if there are dots or anything like that on the side of the neck, you know to mark the 3rd, 5th,...frets?

Finally any opinions or comments or preferences? I have an amp, but I play mostly unplugged and just for myself usually.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-09-27 6:09 AM (#781 - in reply to #780)
Subject: Re: 2080SR and 2081GT

Hi greggggggg and welcome. I've never seen an Ovation without dots on the side of the neck, so that's a pretty safe bet.

I don't think the woven and unidirectional tops have noticeable differences - though there is a difference between shiny tops and textured tops (the shiny tops have more lacquer on them and therefore are less flexible) - hence most people (myself included) prefer the textured tops.

Both of those would be excellent guitars. I'd buy the one you think looks the best.
gregggg
Posted 2011-09-27 11:49 PM (#782 - in reply to #780)

Thanks. Is it correct then that these two are both the "shiny" lacquer top type? Textured would be like the Elite TX? Is that what you mean?

I guess both the 2078TX and the MT37, have the contour body I like, so they would be OK and they are considerably lower in price - if they sound better than the 2080SR (I like the look of it better than the 2081GT), maybe I'll just go with one of them - probably the 2078TX - all cred to Mick and all, but a signature guitar after him with SEVEN on the neck..I dunno, just not me somehow (couldn't take the mask either).
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-09-28 12:49 AM (#783 - in reply to #780)

Originally posted by gregggg:
Textured would be like the Elite TX? Is that what you mean?
Yes... But No.

As good as Elite T's sound (while offering absolutely no opinions on TX's) it is not the same.

A textured top Adamas has birch and carbon-fiber top that is like a drum-head.
Much like with an Elite T, a textured top Adamas doesn't have a layer of shiny lacquer on top.

That is also why an Elite T sounds like it does... Less crap on top of the spruce.

An Elite T is nice, for much less money. But an Adamas is still an Adamas :eek: :cool:

As to getting a TX Read this Thread...

Also read this one...
This one is about 12-stringers, but it continues on to talk about 2078T and 2078TX.
gregggg
Posted 2011-09-28 6:01 PM (#784 - in reply to #780)

Thanks for the info Arthur, I checked out the links. So maybe I don't want an Asian TX - thanks again, didn't know about the different manufacturing sites. The one guy was even talking about intonation problems with a new TX - thats a problem I currently have with an old Alvarez which is very annoying. Hopefully I wouldn't have that issue with a new Adamas? so I guess I'm back to an Adamas but do they make a contour body with the textured finish? I can't seem to find one on their website?

Oh yeah, any advice on purchasing on-line? Web sites to avoid? Never bought a guitar that way before but if I want an Adamas I don't have much choice.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2011-09-28 7:02 PM (#785 - in reply to #780)

If you want an Adamas, go to Lost Art Vintage. Al was one of the founders of this site and the top Adamas dealer.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2011-09-28 7:06 PM (#786 - in reply to #780)

2081 is a contour bowl... and a textured top, I think.

Adamas are pretty-much custom order now...
So it you want a Contour bow and a Textured top, that is what you order.
(unless you are buying used online)

I don't know where you are located but I would suggest you contact Al. (Like MIB sez)
TAFKAR
Posted 2011-09-29 4:37 AM (#787 - in reply to #780)

Both the 2080 and the 2081 are textured tops (unless you order differently). Talk to Al, he does good deals and is great to deal with - I've bought 2.4 guitars off him.
gregggg
Posted 2011-10-09 11:31 AM (#788 - in reply to #780)

I live in SE OH - checked Columbus music stores but nothing but Celebrities - anyone know how far I'd have to go to find a music store that actually has Adamas guitars in the store? Or is ordering one the only way to get one?
FlySig
Posted 2011-10-09 11:56 AM (#789 - in reply to #780)

I would be shocked to find an Adamas in any store! Definitely call Al at lost art vintage.

You may find one online at eBay at a surprisingly good price, but Al's prices and service won't be beaten.

I've got an Adamas 2080 and love it. The surface is neither textured nor gloss, just plain flatish black which may be the color of the carbon fiber and the polymer it is embedded in. I believe, but am not certain, it is not painted. The guitar is incredibly sensitive to right hand technique, far beyond my talents.

Since production is essentially custom ordered, I would talk to Al about special features you may desire such as the side markers. He can certainly get you accurate information on what features the standard production guitars have.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)