The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Black guitar pick scratches

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2002-2003Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2003-12-30 10:45 AM (#198850)
Subject: Black guitar pick scratches

Does anyone know what I could use to hide pick scratches on the top of a black Ovation? The previous owner seemed to be a little harder with his pick than I am. They are not real obvious scratches, but being that the guitar is black they tend to show in the light. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-30 11:00 AM (#198851 - in reply to #198850)
Subject: Re: Black guitar pick scratches

Paul,

Here is a website that has a lot of useful tutorials on guitar building, repair, finishes:
(www.projectguitar.com/tutorial.htm)

There is also a company in Garland Texas that speciallizes in refinishing guitars, they have a whole range of products for DIY projects, you can call them and ask advice (Guitar ReRanch)

You might want to think about a clear pickguard also. There is a tutorial on applying them from the heavyer ones like Larivee uses to thin ones you can make from clear mylar.

Hope this helps.

Noel
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-30 12:26 PM (#198852 - in reply to #198850)

I'm never one to fuss over scratches, but when I got a nasty ding on my new Black Custom Legend 12 string 6 months ago, I nearly lost it. I was just sick to my stomach. It's such a gorgeous guitar, and as I was taking it out of the case, the lid came down, and one of the metal clasps/hinges put a nice big ding on the face of the guitar. And since it's black, the ding in the clear coat shows up a nice noticable white. Yummy.

There was no polishing it out, it was in there good. Here's what I did, though I'm not "recommending" this, but it hid the mark VERY well. I took a black Sharpy permanent marker and lightly wrote over the ding/scratches, then quickly wiped it off before it had a chance to dry. The black of the marker doesn't quite match the black of the guitar...if I left it on there it would really show up. But since I wiped the excess off, the marker ink filled in the thin "white" scratches enough that you can't see them in most lighting. The scar is still on my guitar, but it's not obvious.

I'm sure someone has a more professional idea to REMOVE the scratches on your guitar, but if you just need to hide them...well, maybe consider what I did at your own risk. Normally, I would consider it a dumb-ass thing to do, but it worked. I'm not a collector, so I'm usually never really worried about war injuries on my guitars...I gig, and "stuff" happens.

Sometimes ya just have to deal. Way back when post-gig, a trusted best-friend "roadie" picked up my brand new 12 string elite case by the handle before the case was closed. Needless to say, the black guitar fell out and the face landed on the case clasps...dings & scratches everywhwere. (Sigh). Just held my breath..my favorite guitar, messed up by my best friend who was trying to help. It's just life, man. I couldn't flip out.
grrroovedude
Posted 2003-12-30 2:25 PM (#198853 - in reply to #198850)

For dings you can use CyA (again) and buff it up afterwards.

Martin
willard
Posted 2003-12-30 7:43 PM (#198854 - in reply to #198850)

I think this would make a great new topic. (See "Stupid Things I've Done")
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)