The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Gigging with ovations

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2002-02-20 3:36 PM (#198799)
Subject: Gigging with ovations

I am curious (Ovation). Some have mentioned using their ovations out and that they were their favorite guitars. I will admit that with the solid bodies I have only gigged out with the deacon I have once but I have used my acoustics many times. My current favorite is a 1992 collector's series that has a killer top. I really love that guitar and it sounds great someday I will upgrade the preamp in it.
Now for acoustic guitars I have used some of my early Adamas guitars out but I like them acoustically more than I like them electric..

any thoughts? or which guitars are your favorite for gigs ? Miles? elias? sam? darc?

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: alpep ]
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-20 4:04 PM (#198800 - in reply to #198799)
Subject: Re: Gigging with ovations

At a gig, I would be most likely to use a Viper (the solid body.. not the new gen ones). I certainly would consider others... but primarily I'd use the viper.. For an acoustic guitar that would depend on the saftey factor. If it was a big show, with plenty of room, I might use my Adamas mainly because of the low-impedence pre-amp. I know the sound guys would love me, and it's a great guitar. Other than that, when I play I use my 1975 Matrix with a Dean Markley pickup in the sound hole. The guitar is INDESTRUCTABLE (well maybe that's an exageration, but It has literally been around the world and beaten a few times).. The sound is good, nice action, and the Markley pickup gives a good "acoustic" sound. I will admit that the pickup I use takes away a little of the guitars "Ovation-ness." but it is a nice sound all the same.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2002-02-20 8:27 PM (#198801 - in reply to #198799)

I've just got home from a gig where I used a Preacher (set up for slide) A Viper 3 (fitted with a hipshot B-bender) a Bigsby-equipped Tornado & an Ovation Mandolin. All played through a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb, except the mando which went straight to the 'board via a Baggs para-acoustic DI. Several people commented on how good the guitars sounded. At tomorrow night's acoustic gig it'll be an early '70's acoustic-only Legend set-up for slide, (using a Fishman Rare Earth single coil, I'm not keen on undersaddle pickups for slide) an Adamas SMT & the mandolin. The Legend & SMT go to the 'board via a Boss AD5 & a Gallien Krueger 200MV acoustic amp. I've retired my '78 Adamas from live work but it's still my main studio guitar & mikes up like a dream.
samova
Posted 2002-02-20 9:23 PM (#198802 - in reply to #198799)

well, the only gigging stories i have are from my music room in my house.Sorry, no story here.I dont play out..However,when i do plug into my acoustic amp the early adamases and my woodtop adamas plugged into the Peavy (Ecoustic 112)amp sound awesome.I dont know if any of you have tried the peavy acoustic amp,i have tried several(probably all) and it is by far my favorite..The 93 collectors is a amazing guitar plugged in as well.The slimline electronics on the 93 are very natural sounding....
alpep
Posted 2002-02-21 6:55 AM (#198803 - in reply to #198799)

Miles
after seeing the pic of my old pf 22 with the split pickups on the other post it did remind me that I used it for a gig once. The more I think about it the more I think that it was a solidbody ovation that would have gone over in the general market. not just to the faithful like us here on OFC.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2002-02-21 11:54 AM (#198804 - in reply to #198799)

I totally agree the Marketing folks missed the mark on that call. Price would have been critical, but the PF-22 was a definate compete.. maybe not in the Gibson, Fender arena, but certainly in the Carvin, Ibanez, and to some extent the B.C. Rich arenas. I guess Peavey too, but the T-60's just looked like a good idea on paper and Peavey wasn't a known "Guitar" company at the time.
darc
Posted 2002-02-21 1:29 PM (#198805 - in reply to #198799)

I've gigged a couple of times with my Adamas and it's a very well-behaved guitar in terms of tone, controls, etc. but I find that the deeper bowls get to rolling around a bit, especially if, like me, you sometimes get the nervous shakes in the right hand on stage.

I gig regularly with a ~87 Ovation Elite super shallow and think it's great. The preamp's a little quieter than I would prefer, but Ovation seems to have improved this dramatically with the newer Elites. I'm playing mostly single note parts (very little strummy stuff) so my tonal requirements are a little different than most.

Any of the Ovation/Adamas line with the multi-hole epaulette (sp?) configuration are very cool for gigs in that they can be effectively mic'd at the lower horn without said mic getting anywhere near your right hand technique.
ToneJunkee
Posted 2002-02-24 3:40 PM (#198806 - in reply to #198799)

My `87 Custom Balladeer has been my workhorse.
It's been aroung the world 3 or 4 times and provided nothing but greatness. I always get compliments on it, even to this day.
I love it!
I also love to use my Ovie Mandolin MM66 or whatever it is. Another keeper and awesome intrument.
I just wish I could flog it like Matt Smith...
I have run her thru delays, wahs. phasers and a bunch of others. I'm amazed at how well it handled that stuff.
Another winner indeed.
elias
Posted 2002-03-01 2:41 PM (#198807 - in reply to #198799)

Hey guys, hi Al.
As you correctly said "...for acoustic guitars I have used some of my early Adamas guitars out but I like them acoustically more than I like them electric.." I mostly like the original (early or later it doesn't matter as far as the specs are as of the original Adamas) Adamas. The combination of the deep bowl and the textured graphite top give the best sound even when unplugged. You won't believe it but the original Adamas unplugged among other instruments (accordeons! can you imagine that?) sounds huuuuge and cuts thru! I had the opportunity to perform several times here in Phily with accordeon-friends using my 1994 black cutaway Adamas 1587-5 and the guitar unplugged is a killer. It has the resonance and produces the big volume that is needed.

[ March 01, 2002: Message edited by: elias ]
Michael Joseph Kramer
Posted 2004-01-05 10:59 PM (#198808 - in reply to #198799)

WHAT A SHAME !!!

God! So many cool guitars.. locked up in a house...barely ever getting played... never getting seen BEING played !!! That's a total shame...

Wow

Originally posted by samova:
well, the only gigging stories i have are from my music room in my house.Sorry, no story here.I dont play out..However,when i do plug into my acoustic amp the early adamases and my woodtop adamas plugged into the Peavy (Ecoustic 112)amp sound awesome.I dont know if any of you have tried the peavy acoustic amp,i have tried several(probably all) and it is by far my favorite..The 93 collectors is a amazing guitar plugged in as well.The slimline electronics on the 93 are very natural sounding....
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-06 8:14 AM (#198809 - in reply to #198799)

When I "gig" I evaluate the venue first and decide which guitar to bring ... if it is a "safe" room, I ALWAYS play the 2001 Collector's Redwood and ALWAYS have great results and comments about the tone/looks...

If the room is a little "dangerous" I use the Balladeers (6 & 12)... not so worried about possible dings... but the tone/playability is still Ovation Perfect!

tim
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-06 8:32 AM (#198810 - in reply to #198799)

samova - what's your setup on the Ecoustic 112? I just inherited one. It's one loud .........
Mine knocks pelicans out of the sky 4 miles away.
samova
Posted 2004-01-06 9:06 AM (#198811 - in reply to #198799)

Peter, i usually try to keep the sound of my "Ecoustic 112" clean and natural sounding.I dont ad much on the effects side.Slight bit of reverb and presence...I have however bought a Ultra Sound amp that has lots of effects available and it is very nice as well..As i wrote earlier last year in this topic above,i have tried many acoustic amps and have not found many i liked..I also found that the fender princton chorus works well with acoustic guitars..I mostly plug in my cobalt blue CVT and my "custom" custom legend(see in gallary)because of the superior electronics.I dont really plug in my early adamas models.I play them unplugged.I wish they did not have electronics at all.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-06 9:40 AM (#198812 - in reply to #198799)

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on using the notch filter for feedback at high volume?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-06 9:50 AM (#198813 - in reply to #198799)

Peterbright,

Chek out this topic thread regarding the notch filter:

http://www.ovationfanclub.com/cgi-bin/ubb/non-cgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=2& t=003030

tim
cliff
Posted 2004-01-06 9:53 AM (#198814 - in reply to #198799)

Peter;
If your experiencing low-end feedback at high volume (especially in a band situation with a loud bass player), you might want to consider one of those rubber "FeedbackBuster" plugs in your soundhole. I used one in my old band and it really helped.
shar
Posted 2004-01-06 7:01 PM (#198815 - in reply to #198799)

Sam,what is this custom custom legend? colorful!
I checked in the gallery....what is this??? :D

what kind of electronics does it have?

<..I mostly plug in my cobalt blue CVT and my "custom" custom legend(see in gallary)because of the superior electronics.I dont really plug in my early adamas models.I play them unplugged.I wish they did not have electronics at all.> :
alpep
Posted 2004-01-06 7:41 PM (#198816 - in reply to #198799)

who dug up this thread?
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-06 8:03 PM (#198817 - in reply to #198799)

Cliff, I have a multi hole Elite 1778T. Do they make plugs for those?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-06 8:11 PM (#198818 - in reply to #198799)

Peter, if you read the post you were directed to by Mr Chapman where I explained how to use the notch filter, you would also see that I referred to "Ovation Airlocks" which are rubber bungs for Elite-style guitars. Al can get a set for you.
samova
Posted 2004-01-06 8:18 PM (#198819 - in reply to #198799)

Shar, the custom custom legend is basically a custom legend with a flag top..Two were made for the 2004 olympics in Greece.It has the Greek flag on it.I ordered these guitars.I have one and the other is in the hands of an artist in Greece.This artist has sold over 30 million albums during his 35 year career and is probably responsible for hundreds of Ovation sold in Greece and Europe.He curently uses a cobalt blue CVT Adamas on tours and recordings.
shar
Posted 2004-01-06 9:21 PM (#198820 - in reply to #198799)

Wow!! that's very cool Sam!
sean
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)