The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Factory tour

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

cms-man
Posted 2003-09-30 3:18 PM (#198467)
Subject: Factory tour

Might not want to miss the factory tour, even if you went thru last yesr! It has been one busy year,lots of new stuff to check out. See ya there!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-01 1:36 AM (#198468 - in reply to #198467)
Subject: Re: Factory tour

cms-man

Even if I don't make it, I look forward to the stories and photos that come out of it. We have met more of our compatriots from the last tour than from anything else. Looking forward to it, and I'll keep working on affordable transportation from the left coast. (I've got a bid in on 47 surplus Russian T-34 tanks left over from the first Korean War, that Kim guy is really hard to deal with, he wants the entire Celebrity production routed through his part of Korea and each one stuffed with kimchee)

Bailey (an interesting aside, his hair goes up and down as we negotiate, sorta like dealing with a porcupine)
stonebobbo
Posted 2003-10-03 6:20 PM (#198469 - in reply to #198467)

Bailey ... check your email account.
ovation06057
Posted 2003-10-03 10:05 PM (#198470 - in reply to #198467)

Hey cms-man should'nt we call you ex-cms-man now that your working in the top line again? :p
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-04 3:02 AM (#198471 - in reply to #198467)

stonebobbo

You are a wonderful person and a credit to this board. I'm going to reveal that he offered his flying miles to me to get to the factory tour, this board attracts some of the best people in the world and I intend to point them out when they show up. It's people like him that keeps me coming back to this board every night, and that is my opening to travel that I can't really do. In a world of people calling each other names in the desire to be cool, it is wonderful to have somebody say "can I help you?". Such a difference from those who flip off us senior citicens as we toddle along, with our routine attempts to survive and get along, we still have to eat, take our dogs to the vet occasionally, go to Wal Mart, and Albertsons as we chase the sales on our fixed incomes. Many show an inclination to get us off the road, even though they aren't ready to do it for their parents, being older is not being done for, we just want to be accepted for getting by and not harrassed.

Bailey (I can't believe I just admitted to being more than middle aged, it's probably the rain outside, the first in weeks)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-04 8:35 AM (#198472 - in reply to #198467)

Bailey:

As I approach 50, I've been reading Jimmy Buffet's "A Pirate Looks At 50" (at Paul T.'s recommendation). It's an excellent book, not a pick up and can't put down, like a Tom Clancy novel, but a pick up, read 20 pages, and put down until tomorrow kinda book.

Anyway, he says that most people have one of two reactions to hitting 50. Either they stop and reflect on all they didn't do and didn't succeed at, or they say "Hey, I made it!". Buffet went for door number two.

My parents are like that. In their late 70's, they stay busy, go to the gym three times a week, and are spending my inheritance at a rapid rate. I'm guessing and hoping that they should be good for another 15-20 years.

So to hell with this senior citizen crap. Now that you've got some experience, what are you going to tackle next? And I guaranty you that if you come to the OFC gathering in March, you ain't gonna feel old, 'cause nobody's gonna treat you that way.

You may, however, have a sore butt, if I have to swing by on my burro and give you a ride.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-05 1:48 AM (#198473 - in reply to #198467)

Paul

50 is a great time in life, you find you have learned enough to cease being a fool, and accumulated enough for a little more comfort. You can pick the best you ever could, and music begins to make sense, as does life in general. Your love life is fine if you want it to be, and generally your kids are FINALLY gone. You now know what is the best car for you, and what is the best beer, wine and liquor, and how not to drink too much. Your smart enough to avoid fools completely (other than visits to this board or others as bad). Your career is at it's very best, whether it is making money or not is not important, as you have learned your trade well. The only damper is the observation that in 20 years or so, you might find yourself driving a Surburban with a sticking turn signal, like the guy in front of you (probably me).

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-10-05 4:06 AM (#198474 - in reply to #198467)

Old Age Ain’t for Wimps! That's all I got to say.

20-25 more years..... yuch..
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-05 8:59 AM (#198475 - in reply to #198467)

I'm not going to worry about tomorrow. Give it enough thought to be prepared and then enjoy today. Hey, as I approach 50, I'm only a third of the way thru my life.
Bailey
Posted 2003-10-06 1:42 AM (#198476 - in reply to #198467)

Only a third, you aren't very optomistic.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-06 8:33 AM (#198477 - in reply to #198467)

I try to be a realist.
Beal
Posted 2003-10-06 11:58 AM (#198478 - in reply to #198467)

Youth is wasted on the young.
Paul at 1/3!?!? I'm thinking this is halfway and being optimistic at that. In the end it's not how long you run, it's how well. (provided of cousre that it's at least 30 more years!!!)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-10-06 12:09 PM (#198479 - in reply to #198467)

Bill:

Get Buffet's book A Pirate Looks At 50. I suspect that it would appeal to you. I'm enjoying it a lot.
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-07 1:22 PM (#198480 - in reply to #198467)

Thought I'd bring this back to the top.
What are the tour times, etc.? Other things to do over the weekend?

I have convinced my wonderful wife of what a great time we will have (after an e-mail from stonebobbo!) and how interesting the tour can be, she's a high school art teacher and the creating of great guitars requires artisanship and craftsmanship. I am going to sign up, we just need to check out the spring break schedule to insure here being able to come along. So once we figure that I out I'll get registered.

Thanks!

:)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-07 1:48 PM (#198481 - in reply to #198467)

Will be great to see you. We should have more details after NAMM (in a few weeks). With the release of the LX series, NAMM and recovery from the Annual Factory Holiday Shutdown/Break going on, we usually wait a few weeks to get the final info. The date is solid and you can assume the Tour will be an all day affair. Last year they provided transportation to and from the hotel and lunch.

Just a note for the "for what it's worth" file. I have travelled a LOT in my careers in the Navy and IT and have seen a LOT of high-end dog and pony shows. The Ovation Factory tour, overall, is by FAR the BEST active plant tour you will see. You will meet and be able to talk to the actual folks that put YOUR guitar together or at least maybe put parts of it together. You will be amazed at how much they read these threads, and you may even find YOU have Fans reading your comments. You will also get to see how Hamer guitars are built as a bonus.

Just for comparison, I paid good money for a VIP backstage/underground tour of Disney in Florida. It was not as good as the Ovation Factory Tour, sorry Uncle Walt. I mean it was worth it, but it just wasn't as good. Only 4 hours, had to buy own lunch at normal Disney prices, couldn't talk to any artists, just the tour guide. Sure, we got to see a lot, and learn a lot of secrets that were cool, but all day at Ovation is the REAL DEAL and when the day is done, NO ONE wants to leave and I don't know about anyone else, but I was ready to apply for a job even if it was to just sweep the floors (which is important in a non-dust environment).

So stop pestering me about last years tour pictures, and go take your own. You won't regret it. Actually I'm kidding about the pestering. I do plan on having a tour section up, it is a rather daunting task, but a goal for 2004.

Sorry for the minor rant, but I have been in touch with some old co-horts recently and in discussion about tours, and presentations and realized that the Ovation Factory Tour as raised my expectation bar/meter for other tours and events.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-07 2:09 PM (#198482 - in reply to #198467)

". . Other things to do over the weekend? . ."

Well, let's see . . there's:

The Hawaiian Shirt Fashion Show

The Al Pepiak Lookalike Contest

Chambermaid "Bobbing for Green Cards"

Barstool Dominoes

The "Guess the Bra Size of the Other Hotel Guests
as They're Checking In" Tournament

and the "Paul Templeman Naked PiggyBack Rides"
are ALWAYS a big hit with the kids!!!

Seriously, . .
It's a GREAT TIME!!
Just the ability to shake hands and put a face to "the name" is worth the airfare alone.
The Factory Tour is FASCINATING (even to non-musicians). Jeanette went into it not knowing what to expect, and couldn't stop talking about it all the way home. The fact that she won't be going to this year's Tour because of an industry tradeshow has her pissed. She LOVED it (almost as much as meeting the "Cast of Characters")!
Keep in mind that this isn't a "10:00 to 1:30 Tour". This is ALL DAY!!! The melding of Modern Technology and Old-fashioned Craftsmanhip that everyone perceives from their guitar(s) is FULLY evident in the manufacturing process. And all of the people who work there are absolutely the BEST!!

If anyone's even "mildly" considering it . . .
. . . DO IT!!!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-07 2:16 PM (#198483 - in reply to #198467)

Well, if Jeannette's not going to be there, I donno...
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-07 2:32 PM (#198484 - in reply to #198467)

The Hawaiian Shirt Fashion Show

The Al Pepiak Lookalike Contest

Chambermaid "Bobbing for Green Cards"

Barstool Dominoes

The "Guess the Bra Size of the Other Hotel Guests
as They're Checking In" Tournament

and the "Paul Templeman Naked PiggyBack Rides"
are ALWAYS a big hit with the kids!!!

SOLD!!!

:p
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-07 4:39 PM (#198485 - in reply to #198467)

I'm gonna need to lose a few pounds if I'm gonna get a piggyback ride off of some naked kid.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-07 4:41 PM (#198486 - in reply to #198467)

Not according to the Police Blotter.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-07 4:46 PM (#198487 - in reply to #198467)

in that instance it actually wasn't a kid, it was Moody in a daiper.

It was awful, I mean, have you ever seen a Hawaiian-print daiper?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-07 5:43 PM (#198488 - in reply to #198467)

It shows a lotta class to have a Hawaiian diaper (altho' at my age, we call them Depends). I have them specially made and shipped in from the old farts home on the big island.
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-08 2:08 AM (#198489 - in reply to #198467)

Who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men? The Ovationists know, (and the fools even talk about it).

You guys make the factory tour sound like the convention that the guy who did "Ahab the Arab" sang about (I can't remember his name, but he is one of country's best musicians). So I'll leave it as a trivia question, (hint, he did the "Streaker", "Don't look Mable, but it was too late, she already had been deefiled")

I'm looking forward to hear about it from the safety of home.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-08 5:15 AM (#198490 - in reply to #198467)

Ray Stevens
alpep
Posted 2004-01-08 6:53 AM (#198491 - in reply to #198467)

No one is safe even in their own homes
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)