The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Hercules Stand

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-05 8:02 AM (#198440)
Subject: Hercules Stand

Just bought a Hercules stand at the Guitar Center (sorry Al, but they have a Christmas sale)...that thing is fabulous! Finally a stand that can be trusted!

I remember a friend of mine who set his custom Taylor-12 on a regular stand, turned around and we all heard a sickening "pphawhaaannnggg"! He looked and his Taylor had fallen out of the stand, hit the amp and broke off the headstock...

It pays to be secure!

Any comments on the Hercules?

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
iconocoustica
Posted 2003-11-05 8:46 AM (#198441 - in reply to #198440)
Subject: Re: Hercules Stand

Well, I have never tried a Hercules stand, but here is a story for you. Last week, I too heard the sickening sound of my CE778 falling over. I had leaned it up against the living room couch and it had slipped over. I ran into the room and saw my precious lying on the ground next to the fireplace. The headstock "wing" of the O had hit the granite-like substance at the base of the fireplace and guess what? The fireplace had a bigger scratch on it than did the O! Chalk one up to the toughness of O's versus those "other brands" ;)

Franklin
cliff
Posted 2003-11-05 9:07 AM (#198442 - in reply to #198440)

They ARE nice stands!
Unfortunately, they came out AFTER I made the investment in a bunch of another brand. :(

I was at a friend's house up in CT a few weeks ago and he had a bunch of 'em and they work REALLY well (although my friend HEARTILY recommends takin' some Krylon FlatBlack to that one "Safety Yellow" part of the stand). :D
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-11-05 9:28 AM (#198443 - in reply to #198440)

Sounds like Queek Draw's El Kabonnnngggggg!

hmmmm Krylon Flat Black.... good idea! That might fix that arched eyebrow of my wife's when she saw it!

tim
GutarZan
Posted 2003-11-05 10:21 AM (#198444 - in reply to #198440)

Is there someone out there that makes guitar hanger that fits on the rack or the pipe of clothes closets. I made a few out of stiff wire and covered them with soft clear tubing. Works great but look Bad. Geee.. I should have patent.. before some sells them on ebay.
Beal
Posted 2003-11-05 12:37 PM (#198445 - in reply to #198440)

gotta paint them black. That yeller is jus plain fugly!
willard
Posted 2003-11-05 12:48 PM (#198446 - in reply to #198440)

Tim,
I have several of them. I bought a wall mount style and a floor style from Al. Both are the the cats's ass. Very sturdy and they have very nice Tonka Toy Yellow hindges on them. Cliff's friend doesn't like the yellow but I think it makes the stands look "Tonka Tough"
cliff
Posted 2003-11-05 1:30 PM (#198447 - in reply to #198440)

I myself don't really mind the yellow all that much.
Probably a marketing ploy to make them "stand out" on stage against all of the other black guitar stands out there.
A few years ago the Italian bicycle company Bianchi did the same thing. They painted all of their racing bikes this weird, pastel blue-green color.
You either loved it, or you hated it, BUT if you wanted to ride a Bianchi (and a LOT of people did/still do), you get used to it.
AND . . . . you can ALWAYS spot their bikes in a crowd, no matter how big the pack is.
Ralph
Posted 2003-11-05 10:17 PM (#198448 - in reply to #198440)

Stopped by local Ovation dealer. Hercules stands are on sale, e.g. $26 for single stand. It does not seem to be too sturdy. The back leg is quite short & the whole stand could fall quite easily.

This store has both USA & import Ovation. They are placed on floor stands & hang 5-feet up on the wall. Guild, Taylor, Martin are displayed 10 feet above ground.
Paul Wag
Posted 2003-11-16 12:40 PM (#198449 - in reply to #198440)

I stopped by Mr E's Music to get some picks and walked out with a double Hercules stand. Used it last night at our gig. We did a parking lot deal, where a local restaurant was having a "Kolache Festival".
The Hercules was maybe a little pricey (wasn't on sale), but I've started bring the Viper bass tyo play at gigs and the stand works great for holding it and my Legend.
Now I can leave the old single stand up in the house and display the Legend and grab it whenever I'm inspired!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-11-16 4:16 PM (#198450 - in reply to #198440)

I've just seen the Hercules microphone stands - VERY cool, not that I can get excited about mike stands, but at last somethimg different & practical. Their mic clip shockmount is way cool.
breeze2u
Posted 2003-11-16 11:14 PM (#198451 - in reply to #198440)

I just saw a stand a week or so ago in the local store that was a one-piece, bent, solid steel rod...not tubing, but solid.
It was bent into a triangle at the bottom, came up and bent back, then on up to form a "hanger" at the top. I didn't buy one, but I thought it look VERY stable. Only drawback (assuming it IS stable) is that you can't fold it up.
I can't remember the name of it. Anyone seen these?

Breeze
new soon-to-be Ovation owner
cliff
Posted 2004-01-31 3:17 PM (#198452 - in reply to #198440)

"Field Tested" my newly-accquired Hercules dual guitar stand at last night's gig. While it didn't save me as much floor space as I'd hoped over my two single Genesis stands, at least both guitars are easily within reach. The "catch" mechanisms seemed a little stiff at first and didn't wanna readily "let go" of a guitar when I tried to pick it up, but I think it was just that they were new and a little stiff. By the end of the night they seemed to work a little better. Perhaps a slight "spritz" of WD40 on the sliders are in order.
Overall, it's GREAT stand! Well made, rock solid, and very stable (I even think the safety yellow is starting to grow on me :D ). The only beef that I have with it is when it's folded up. It's got a lot of hangy, dangly, rattly, thingies hanging off it that look like they have the potential of catching on something in my stand bag (big cordura bag for mic, speaker and guitar stands) and/or breaking off. The Genesis stands fold into a tight, sleek little package. I guess I could just find/make a nylon bag to slip over the Herc before it goes into the stand bag.
Otherwise an awesome stand. When I walked into a local shop looking for one, the guy said he was "sold out". The only ones he said he had were one double and two triples. Luckily I was hunting for a tandem. He said he can't keep 'em on the shelves. He people really like 'em & grab 'em up.
Way t'go Kaman!!
willard
Posted 2004-01-31 3:29 PM (#198453 - in reply to #198440)

I still love mine. The only drawback I've found is hanging a guitar with a capo on the first fret doesn't work very well. I know there are those of you who think REAL guitarists shouldn't use capos but...I guess I'm not a real guitarist.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-31 4:59 PM (#198454 - in reply to #198440)

I recently bought 8 Hercules stands and I love them. The best I have ever seen. I had a few Ultimate stands which I also kept (they are also very nice), but all the cheepo stands that I have accumulated over the years are out in the garage in a bopx marked "garage sale". The Hercules do not work well on 2" necks but other than that they are the most safe, sturdy and well maded I have ever seen. Dave
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-31 8:04 PM (#198455 - in reply to #198440)

I'm waiting to receive an axeman single and one of the little fold-ups in a bag from MF. That and two wall mount hangers. I'm thinking different tools for different applications. I'll see what works where. I don't know what my wife will say if I try to hang an ovation in our bedroom.

Well, maybe I do know. :(

Instead of hitting your stand with the WD 40 go for the Pledge or Murphy's Wood Oil for lubrication. It's safer. Pledge is great for "tuning" your Foosball table too.
Bailey
Posted 2004-02-02 2:32 AM (#198456 - in reply to #198440)

As to the original post:

Any "regular" stand that knows enough to destroy a Taylor would probably be great for storing Ovations. Sounds like our kind of stand. How many Taylors has this here Hercules destroyed?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)