The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
WHAT do you play?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Jeff
Posted 2003-12-12 11:51 AM (#198397 - in reply to #198372)
Subject: Re: WHAT do you play?

I totally echo Paul Moody's sentiments regarding "Gentle on my Mind" and "Wichita Lineman." IMHO, they're two of the best records ever made! Because I, too, discoverd the guitar by way of Glen Campbell, I tend to play a lot of his stuff when I'm just noodling, and Wichita is one of those songs I find myself playing nearly every time I pick up a guitar.

Since I'm what you might call "semi-retired" from the music biz, I play mainly in church these days, so I'm working on a lot of Christmas music at the moment. But besides GC songs, I also like to take hymns and old pop and country songs and arrange them into, sort of, Chet Atkins style instrumentals. I'm also trying to develop my jazz chops by playing along with various jam tracks.

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-12 3:33 PM (#198398 - in reply to #198372)

I see most folks (not all) seem to be playing cover tunes from a zillion years ago. Not a bad thing, but I thought with as many people that do not play professionally, we'd see more originals. I have always thought, from the time I picked up a guitar, that the main reason to play other peoples music was to learn it to get paid. Now there are of course exceptions to that such as when you like a song so much, or something about the song, or a part of the song that you really want to play cause it's cool. I have nothing against covers. I like to listen to people play their versions of other peoples songs. One of my favorite acts to see is "Reagonomics" in Ohio. Paul (who has been known to lurk here) adds his own touches to some great 80's rock and the antics and talent of the whole band makes it a fun show. I'll sometimes throw in a CD and play along just to play with other musicians so to speak too. But as the acoustic guitar is basically the perfect instrument to write new songs on (IMHO), and the artists that have been mentioned in this thread became known in many cases because they were new and different, I would think the inspiration to write original material would have been overwhelming.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-12 3:47 PM (#198399 - in reply to #198372)

Right now it's (obviously) mostly "warming up" the Christmas Tunes, but other than that:

CBalladeer six-string:
"Wond'ring Aloud" - Jethro Tull
"Into The Mystic" - Van Morrison
"My Lady of the Island" - CS&N
"Nobody Knows You . . " - Clapton
"I Will" - Beatles (ala an arrangement by James Taylor's son, Ben)
"Margarita" - Crosby/Nash
"Melissa" - Allman Brothers
"Skating Away" - Jethro Tull
"From The Beginning" - EL&P
"Sunday Morning Sunshine" - Harry Chapin
"That's What Living Is To Me" - Jimmy Buffett

Legend twelve-string:
"Tangerine" - Led Zeppelin
"Handle with Care" - Traveling Willburys
"Sanibel" - CSN&Y
"Alberta" - Clapton
"Your Own Special Way" - Genesis
"Riverside" - America
"Ramble On" - Led Zeppelin
"Northern Lights" - Renaissance
"You've Got To Hide. . ." - Beatles
"Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd
"Rain King" - Counting Crows
"Losing My Religion" - REM
"Maggie May" - Rod Stewart
"Give A Little Bit" - Supertramp
"More Fool Me" - Genesis

SlotHead Adamas (Double-Drop D tuning):
"Going To California" - Led Zeppelin
"Black Water" - Doobie Brothers
"Oo La La" - Faces
"Nexus" - Dan Fogelberg
"That's The Way" - Led Zeppelin
"Lazy Susan" - Fogelberg/Weissberg
"Dimming of the Day" - Richard Thompson (ala David Gilmour)
"Every Picture Tells A Story" - Rod Stewart
"Phoenix" - Dan Fogelberg
"Souvenirs" - John Prine
"Auld Lang Syne"

Applause ukelele:
"How Do You Tune This Fuckin' Thing?" - Original Composition

Limited Edition Alpep "Ricewood" dobro (open G tuning):
"Cat in a Cuisinart Concerto" - Original Composition
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-12 9:07 PM (#198400 - in reply to #198372)

Miles,
Maybe more folks didn't write about their original songs, because no one would have any idea what the song was or what it was about. For instance "Rosie's Song", this is a song I wrote about a lady that sang in our band and died from cancer.
Another one I am working on "I've Been So Miserable Since You've Been Gone, That Its Almost Like Having You Here."
Also, most of us probably don't have the talent to write many songs. I know I don't.
Noel
Todd G.
Posted 2003-12-12 10:10 PM (#198401 - in reply to #198372)

Play that Funky Music - ???

Martin, my friend, that is Wild Cherry with, as the song suggests, a white boy singing and playing guitar.

Some of my faves to play on my acoustic:

Holiday--Scorpions
Always Somewhere--Scorpions
If--Bread
I'll Still Be Lovin' You--Restless Heart
Gettin' Better--Tesla
Little Suzi--Tesla
Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You--Led Zeppelin
Jade's Song/Winter's Call--Badlands (Jake E. Lee)
Angel Song--Great White
Anytime--McAuley Schenker Group
Now And Forever--Richard Marx
Annie's Song--John Denver

Just to name a few...

Todd
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-12 10:40 PM (#198402 - in reply to #198372)

Could be lots of things Noel. I was just surprised based on the topic and where people said they played, and also seeing the list of "who" they played and the average appearent ages of folks here. Certainly not a critisizm by any means, just a point to ponder. The reason I mention age, is that the songs listed came from an era where being different, trying new things, etc etc was a big part of the music scene then. Now the late 70's and 80's music, the era I group up with, was all about copying the mold, at least for Rock'N Roll. So it would actually make more sence that I be one of the folks who plays covers... and I did. I had lots of originals written, but never played them for anyone but myself until about 1990 when I found some other musicians to help me finish them. I don't hang with a lot of musicians on a "social" basis, so I really just thought anyone who played at home, mostly for themsleves, was writing music. It's funny the perceptions we can generate in our heads... or at least in my head. Learn something new everyday...
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-13 1:45 AM (#198403 - in reply to #198372)

Miles

You make an interesting point that certainly makes one (at least me) think. I have played backup to some excellent original songs through various bands I have played in, but have never created much on my own. Basically playing has been a hobby for me, my income has been made from other endeavors, so I haven't tried to build a musical persona based on my music. Until I retired, playing was done on time borrowed from my life as a father, husband, and provider so playing what exists has been my way of doing things. Other musicians I've known have crashed on the cruel storms of ego that is not supported by talent, others are talented but have crashed on the cruel sea anchor of the need to support their families. Jamming at home at night is an escape from reality and I generally avoid making work out of it.

Somebody mentioned John Denver

Another favorite and one that speaks to this laziness:

Hey it's Good to be Back Home Again

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-13 3:23 AM (#198404 - in reply to #198372)

Well Bailey I guess you returned the favor. You inferred playing backup and such was a little less time consuming, and more enjoyable, which on the surface I can relate too, but but I never really felt that way. Learning covers has always been a chore for me probably because my lack of musical knowledge, and of course with Rock you not only have to learn the notes/chords, but what effects were used too. I never have to spend any time "learning" my own songs or writing them. Finishing them is another story.. but I think the defining moment was when folks like Steve Vai came on the scene, and I learned there are actually 2 notes BETWEEN C and C#, C# and D,D and D# etc... My guitars don't have those notes. Well they do, but it requires careful picking and using the Tremelo system (whammy bar) to get to them. That's just too much work.

But back to your commentary on about having little time to devote... I was the exact opposite. I didn't have enough time to devote to learning other peoples music, which is why I left the last band I was in. They were playing mostly originals , but as I wasn't the writer, they were "covers" to me, and I had to learn them. That wasn't fun and I didn't have the time.

I have found these two threads to be very interesting or at least it's making me think about how and why people make music, which is yet another "angle" to it all.
Dan Sauer
Posted 2003-12-13 4:21 AM (#198405 - in reply to #198372)

Wow! This has been really interesting reading! The great variety in music is wonderful. There are some songs mentioned that I haven't played in years or never got around to learning. I intend to start strummin'right away. When I am out playing for folks, it's a mix of cover songs and my own creations. A mix of new country, older country, pop, folk, etc. like Broken Heartsville, Amarillo By Morning, Whiskey For My Men, Amanda, Don't Close Your Eyes, Some Beatles, Neil Diamond stuff, and some Eagles. My original songs are on two cd's I have out on CD Baby but no Biggie hits. At least the folks where I play like 'em. When I'm at home I pick up my 1617 and I either start writing or just sit back, relax and play my old Jim Croce favorites like Recently, Box #10, or Roller Derby Queen. I just loved his style. But I always end with something from Glen Campbell, usually Try A Little Kindness. It makes me feel good.
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-13 8:49 AM (#198406 - in reply to #198372)

Indeed this and where do you play has been interesting.
It does show how our personal perceptions have such a strong influence on our thoughts. I never realized that so many people actually wrote songs and a lot of songs! As I said, I have only written a few. And they came mainly because of a chord progression that I liked and I built a poem around the music.
But wouldn't it be boring if we were all just alike?
Our common denominator is a love of music and Ovaitons, from there our diverse likes and experiences make for an great mix with something for everyone.
Noel
Brian T
Posted 2003-12-13 9:46 AM (#198407 - in reply to #198372)

The other day I was jamming with one of my guitar buddies and I sarcasticly asked him
"do you know any songs that were written in this century?". Then I realized that even what I consider to be my most modern cover songs are from the 1990's (REM, Bare Naked Ladies, Matchbox 20). But that being said, I confess I also am at heart an old codger and my favorite songs are from the 60's and 70's. To wit:

All things Beatles, but especially; Im My Life, Here comes the Sun, A day in the Life.

Lots of Neil Young; Heart of Gold (with Harmonica), Long may You Run; Needle and the Damage Done.

Led Zepplin - the Rain Song, Ten Years gone

Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven, Lonesome Stranger, Running on Faith

Eagles - Take it Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling

Pink Floyd - Time, Brain Damage

The problem is that as your brain ages it starts to get hard remembering all the different songs that I have hacked away at over the years. Sometimes it's fun to be noodleing around and "discover" some old song you forgot abot 20 years ago. But Im glad to see many others from this board share my taste in vintage songs.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-14 2:06 AM (#198408 - in reply to #198372)

Miles

Basically what I was trying to say and as usual didn't say, was that I spent months and years learning the bluegrass and country songs for each band I played in by spending much time in practice sessions, perfecting arrangements, working out the sequence of breaks etc. so we could play for hours and have many strong sets. Bluegrass and traditional country has much adherence to certain "standards" that once you know them you can play with any band and do well. When you are gigging as something other than a traditional band, then you can introduce your original songs. Generally I was hired as a mandolin player and expected to provide some instrumental spark within the band's reperetoire.

If you know you're "genre" well, you can learn a new song pretty quickly but if you don't "own" the band, you will not get to introduce too many originals. Everybody I have played with has had more songs they would like to do than time to practice and perfect them and they just get glazed eyes if the mandolin player tries to change the song mix.

I like to play existing songs for my own pleasure because they are great songs that I like and that's what got me started anyway, and I can play guitar and sing. I don't want to compete with Hank Williams, Chris Christofferson, Roger Miller, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, etc. in writing songs, I just want to play their songs.

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-14 2:52 AM (#198409 - in reply to #198372)

"I don't want to compete with Hank Williams, Chris Christofferson, Roger Miller, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, etc. in writing songs, I just want to play their songs."

Hey, like I said... I have nothing against cover tunes, or people playing other peoples music. Not at all. I love to hear music. Also what I listen to and what I like to play are two totally different topics. My point, which I probably fuzzed over was I was just surprised being basically a non-acoustic player, I had this vision of acoustic players, especially ones who don't gig, as being songwriters a little more than we are seeing here.

Also interesting to think about, as I read your post, as I don't play country or bluegrass, changing arrangements of cover tunes when I was playing wasn't an option for the most part (everything has exceptions). In the mid 80's when I was in the Philippines and in Hawaii, I would sit in for friends in local "house" bands. I'd get a song list, and I was expected to know the "radio" version when I showed up for the gig. Now of course as I was never that great of an imitator, I would concentrate on the sound, and put my own twist on things, but the breaks and arrangement was in stone unless we pulled something like extending a lead, chorus or break cause the crowd was into it. Come to think of it, even in original bands, most of the time (not all, but most) someone would have some recording of the song. Rehearsals were just to fine tune the tunes, and work on the act.

There are some interesting dymanics to bands and playing that frankly I never thought about before this thread. I can totally see the idea of being able to learn a "style" and be able to transport it between bands playing that style music. Sounds a heck-of-a-lot more fun than having to learn a differnt style for every song when playing pop covers, which is why I stopped playing them. I play my songs really well, but as a "weekend" musician trying to be 40 totally different artists in one night got to be a but much for me as I wasn't that good at it anyway. Nothing more depressing than giving your all to be mediocre at best.

Fun stuff to ponder.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-14 8:51 AM (#198410 - in reply to #198372)

Reading this topic up to this point has made me realize that maybe it's time to do what I wanted to play guitar to do in the first place....WRITE SONGS....I'm old enough now I might actually have SOMETHING to write about(as opposed to the 16-year-old I was when I first started to learn).... :) Finding the time is the problem....

I read one or two of you say that you aren't good enough to write songs....I don't buy that for a second. The talent I see on this board is pretty awesome.
alpep
Posted 2003-12-14 12:38 PM (#198411 - in reply to #198372)

I've written a few songs in my day. I don't think the rest of the world gives a s**t though.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-14 2:00 PM (#198412 - in reply to #198372)

OAO and Alpep these two posts make what I'm about to say poinient... i think...

I tell anyone I meet that noodles with writing and even those that I record when they need it...

Write songs for YOURSELF. If other people like them, that's just a perk. If they actually want to pay to hear them, even better... but you as the writer have little control over that. Just write and play for your OWN enjoyment. The greats didn't write songs to see how many hits they can write, for the most part, and even if they did, the ones that actually turned into hits were the ones they wrote for themselves. How many interviews have you heard "well that one wasn't even going to make the album, we needed another song so I had this one."

A song doesn't have to have words, it can just be a cool lick. Maybe a bunch of cool licks. As our friend Matt Smith says, "music is supposed to be fun, that's why we PLAY insturments."
an43402
Posted 2003-12-14 4:27 PM (#198413 - in reply to #198372)

Just a little twist on this topic, I think most of us will take someone elses tunes, and put it into our own style. Example, I was playing yesterday, that old chestnut, Going Down this Road Feeling Bad, but doing it ala the Ramones. One Two Three Four!
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2003-12-14 8:54 PM (#198414 - in reply to #198372)

I will ALWAYS write for myself first....if you don't like what you write, why should anyone else???? I have "45 rpm ears", but I doubt that extends to my writing pen....and I'm not a bit concerned that it does!

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-15 1:47 AM (#198415 - in reply to #198372)

Let me take one more instrumental stab at this thing. If you think JAZZ, instrument breaks are not copies of popular tunes or copies of the licks on those tunes. Bluegrass mandolin (and banjo) playing is expected to be a little different each time when the break comes up, and it isn't hard to do if you consider any bunch of instrumental bars can be played with an infinite bunch of single, double, or triple, and if you are totally overcome by the song, even a quadruple stops, i.e. chord tunes in frantic speed.

What is considered simplistic about bluegrass/country is what makes it easy to produce some great instrumental music with a little imagination.

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-15 5:32 AM (#198416 - in reply to #198372)

"What is considered simplistic about bluegrass/country is what makes it easy to produce"

I'm withya, although I would use the word "flexible" instead of simple. Especially the breaks in that style of music or the "imrpov" work, can be as simple or complex as the musician can make. Most of POP music tends to not be that flexible except for the leads, and even most of them are fairly well scripted with enough hooks to make improv limited. Of course, this depends on the band and venue too. I have played places where I could do what I wanted, but many of the more "tourist" area's required you to play and sound "like the song on the radio" or they would just get some other band that would.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-16 2:03 AM (#198417 - in reply to #198372)

That's the point in a nutshell "like the song on the radio" vs. improvising every break. I never played in a "covers" band so I haven't had that experience. I have picked up a few licks along the way that go with certain songs so I am not completely innocent of a little of that sort of thing.

I find myself today talking a lot better gig than I been playing.

Bailey
secondroy
Posted 2003-12-17 12:23 PM (#198418 - in reply to #198372)

I would work on some country blues or sing something by Cash.
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-18 1:41 AM (#198419 - in reply to #198372)

secondroy

That is a damn good suggestion, and I'm going to do just that as soon as I hang up.

Bailey :D :D
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-30 8:27 PM (#198420 - in reply to #198372)

One of the things Matt Smith told us at the Chop Shop was to record your music. Write and record your own music. Leave it for your grandkids. I've just begun that road, after years of thinking that no one would give a rat's ass about any song I wrote. Found the road to be kind and giving. Also, have branched out to playing the bass part to friend's compositions. Best thing about that is that I'm making up the bass part. Every now and then my fingers play what's in my head, and we click right then and there and the song now has a bass part. Well, it's times like those that make pluggin' through those guitar lessons, singing hymns in church, finding this board and spending too much time on it, buying the Viper Bass off e-bay after seeing it here, make it all worthwhile.

Posts about "cover" songs reminded me of this web site tab I Googled searched once upon a time:Summer Rain

Lost of good old stuff.....
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-30 9:16 PM (#198421 - in reply to #198372)

A sign behind the counter read "They won't remember what you said, they might remember what you did but they'll never forget how you made them feel".

Music is a medium, a form of transfering thought and feeling. Perhaps "covers" are the cookie-cutter memories of a time and place that you felt something extraordinary. An original artist demonstrates the abilility to put a "moment" in a repeatable form. It will be subjected to the performer's sway, but it is still their "moment"

Don't be afraid of trying to be that Artist. Don't be afraid to project those "moments" to others. Give to others a part of yourself.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)