The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
one of the Pauls? - Ovation sited

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

GutarZan
Posted 2003-12-14 6:27 PM (#198346)
Subject: one of the Pauls? - Ovation sited

Seems like I read one of the Pauls or someone was going to the Florida Keys in mid December. I searched and could not find the post. Anyways I am stuck down here till after the first.
Any how I was hitin the bars and at Hogs Breath Ovation #1, Solo, Buffet then at the Sugarloaf Lodge Tiki Hut Ovation #2 a local group and more Buffet. The guitar player had a brand new Collectors he had bought up on the mainland.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2003-12-14 6:30 PM (#198347 - in reply to #198346)
Subject: Re: one of the Pauls? - Ovation sited

I think Cliff is heading down there soon. I'd love to be in Florida for the Holidays, but then I'd have to give up Anaheim in Jan.
Beal
Posted 2003-12-14 8:13 PM (#198348 - in reply to #198346)

I'd love to be in Florida too for the holidays but.....
Should make it back for the New Years Day tee time at 8:30 though.
Maybe see Cliff on his return trip north.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-15 9:58 AM (#198349 - in reply to #198346)

GZan;
"STUCK" down there??
Jeez! I should be so "stuck"! (Took me an hour to chip the .5" coating of friggin' ice offa the Cruiser this morning!)

After a stop outside of Charlotte, NC and one in Miami, we plan on pitching camp on a waterfront tentsite at Boyd's on KeyWest on Dec. 23! I'll FINALLY get my chance to string Christmas lights on a palm tree! :cool:
Hope to be there thru New Year's.
(NewYearsEve on Mallory Square . . . I'll take that over Times Square ANYTIME!!)
Hoping to stop in S'vannah, Geawgia on the way back (after a brief possible swing through Cwk2land for a Blackened Tilapia sammie).
That's providing of course we DO "come back".
If not, I have a trusted friend who'll ship down the rest of my guitars, and we'll just . . . "disappear".
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-15 10:03 AM (#198350 - in reply to #198346)

I'll be in Key West in February for my wedding anniversary, if there are any OFC folks down there. It will also be my first time back in 30 years since being stationed down there in the Navy. I wonder if anything has changed.......
cliff
Posted 2003-12-15 11:47 AM (#198351 - in reply to #198346)

". . . I wonder if anything has changed......."

Man! are YOU in for a shock!!! :D
It'd be easier to list the things that HAVEN'T changed since you were there last:
The six-toed cats at Hemingway's House.

There WAS the guy who was selling the Lignum Vitae wooden guitar picks here a while ago that lived on Marathon Key, I believe. I've been meaning to do a search on the "Fancy Guitar Pick" thread to look into a replacement pick. Nice picks! Had a nice, "warm" sound for certain applications. Felt good to hold too. Sadly however, they are NOT recommended to be used in a "pinch" to tighten the screw in a microphone clip (don't ask! :rolleyes: ).
innerman
Posted 2003-12-15 1:04 PM (#198352 - in reply to #198346)

2 years ago I saw a guy on that main drag (down by where the cruise ships come in) who had a live mouse sitting on a live cat sitting on a rottweiler. The dog was wearing a sign that said "Can't we just all get along?" You give the guy a buck and take their pic.

Also, there was a music store (can't remember the street name) that actually had 5-6 Ovations. I went in there one afternoon for about 2 hours with a buddy of mine. The people were really cool - brought out barstools for us and told us to play all day whether we bought anything or not. My kind of people. I bought some strings and picks just to show my gratitude.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-15 1:22 PM (#198353 - in reply to #198346)

I was in Key West a couple of weeks ago. Picture New Orleans, the Hippie part of San Francisco, the College Hangouts and Bed and Breakfasts of Boston, and the boating comunity of Long Island and Key Largo rolled up into one city with Cruise Ships, Sailing, Diving and Snorkling, shopping, drinking, music and every other form of entertainment imaginable. Now that would be a place to go to relax after a weekend in Key West.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-15 1:32 PM (#198354 - in reply to #198346)

I've been reading Jimmy Buffet's "A Pirate Looks At 50", where I'll be in a year, and it makes me want to pack my shorts, tee shirts and a guitar and go.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-15 1:50 PM (#198355 - in reply to #198346)

My wondering if anything has changed was a joke. I am well aware the island has experienced tremendous development since I was there. There is likely a lot more commercial influence and less of the Cuban effect that was so prevalent back in the day, tho some of the latter has been retained for commercial effect.

I lived in a house up the hill from one of the streets leading to the cemetery. The Conch Train passed by our place on its route, and the rooster that lived in the back yard always attempted to fly after the train. I suspect that the rooster's passing was part of the transition from hippie haven to yuppie paradise. (And having experienced the former, I am returning to try out the latter.)

I just hope I can still snorkel right off the beach on the Atlantic side like I used to.... We went to Belize last year and snorkeling off the shore is a quick way to seppuku with ritual motorboat.
cliff
Posted 2003-12-15 3:02 PM (#198356 - in reply to #198346)

Well Paul, if by chance you long to re-visit "the old days" while you're there, I highly reccommend the Blue Heaven restaurant (Thomas Street, I believe). Run by a bunch of hippies, the food is REALLY good, the outdoor dining area is under a big old tree with a kick-ass tire swing, and is constantly visited by the chickens (and roosters) that live in the house next door.

Now . . . the chickens don't "belong" to someone from the house next door . . . the chickens LIVE in the house next door!

(PS: . . . . and they're NOT on the menu . . I asked) ;)
alpep
Posted 2003-12-15 5:55 PM (#198357 - in reply to #198346)

I hate parrotheads
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-15 6:28 PM (#198358 - in reply to #198346)

I also asked about the chickens... The Latin influence is there in the music, the archetecture, assorted museums, art and monuments, but I guess only us snowbirds are silly enough to actually live on an island around which all the Hurricanes originate.
willard
Posted 2003-12-15 6:29 PM (#198359 - in reply to #198346)

Paul B.,
I was in Belize quite a few years ago (1975) and spent some time on one of the barrier islands, Long Cay if I remember. My memory of those events is a little fuzzy but it was fuzzy while I was there too. :rolleyes: Anyway, snorkeling was the best I've ever seen. I've always wanted to go back but...
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-15 8:21 PM (#198360 - in reply to #198346)

To Cliff: I will check out the Blue Heaven restaurant, and I will NOT order the chicken...

To Al: I WILL see if I can order Parrothead Soup....

To Miles: I lived on Key West when a hurricane (Agnes, I think it was) came right over the top of the island. The rooster survived it, but it was very scary and a definite short term improvement to my prayer life....

To Willard: the snorkeling off of Belize IS fantastic, though hurricanes over the last decade have trashed the reef areas. My complaint isn't with the quality of the snorkeling; it is the matter of having to pay $25 per head to hire a boat to get to the reef in order to snorkel. We stayed on Ambergris Caye, which is the main tourist destination but had managed to find a condo to rent at a pretty reasonable rate. It was a wonderful honeymoon destination, and I would love to go back. But I can't go everywhere I want and I would have to sell too many guitars to afford it again.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2003-12-15 9:59 PM (#198361 - in reply to #198346)

Was in Belize a couple of weeks ago. We skipped the SCUBA as although it is a great spot, the best spots are on the other side from where the ships stop and then a decent boat ride out to the reefs so we went to the Altun Ha Myan site. Very cool.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-15 11:17 PM (#198362 - in reply to #198346)

Miles, if my envy of your Ovation collection were not enough ... now I hear you have been to both Belize and Key West within recent weeks. I couldn't even make my UPS shipping run today because of freezing rain up to an inch thick and here you are tantalizing me with tales of the tropics......

We spent a day taking a boat upriver to the Mayan site of Lamanai (not too far from Altun Ha). Lamanai was a pre-Columbian city with an unbroken history spanning three thousand years. The town I lived in was established a little less than 150 years ago.

Given the advanced nature of Mayan astronomy and construction, etc., I wonder if they ever dreamed of a composite body guitar.....
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-16 1:00 AM (#198363 - in reply to #198346)

Paul B

I think the Mayans were in process of building the composite guitar when some fool took the prototype before it was complete and started playing jai-alai. You can see those prototypes without their tops even today at jai-alai games.

Bailey
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-16 8:39 AM (#198364 - in reply to #198346)

They probably discovered that the abundant local mahogany made great necks but lousy tops, so they had to wait for someone to either invent graphite or travel to the northern hemisphere for spruce.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2003-12-16 9:04 AM (#198365 - in reply to #198346)

BTW, it didn't take them long to find out what a jai alai ball does to a wooden guitar body.... :D
cliff
Posted 2004-01-05 8:12 AM (#198366 - in reply to #198346)

GuitarZan;
Sorry we weren't able to hook up down there.
Hope everyone is feeling better.
During the last phone conversation you and I had, Jeanette and I had stopped one last time on Bahia Honda on our way back to Miami. We considered doubling-back to see you on Cudjoe Key, but by then the Southbound traffic on US1 was attrocious and it would've meant taking that much longer to get back North to Miami that night. Sorry. Perhaps the next time?

Key West was a blast! Had a great time!
Spent Christmas morning on the beach flying a kite and many afternoons/evenings in the many fine eating/drinking establishments of "Cayo Hueso". Spent New Year's Eve in Miami's SouthBeach. An equally splendid time!

Pretty much fulfilled all of what we'd hoped to do except I regretfully missed the two OFC connections I hoped to make. GuitarZan's family was unfortunately ill during Christmas and later the timing just didn't work out. Cwk2 and I missed each other on the trip home because of a phone number mix-up. Bill, sorry I missed your call on Friday night, but at that time we were barreling through DC/Balt. with the stereo blaring trying to make it home by Midnight (missed by 20 mins. :rolleyes: ). I now have the phone list straightened-out. Thanks, Bill.

I had tried to post a couple of times while down there, but was unsuccessful. Jeanette brought her laptop along that her IT Dept. had just installed an "air card" in that allows total Internet access from the comforts of your beach chair (which was really cool). I was able to scan/read posts, but everytime I tried to post a message it took a really long time to eventually "bomb out". I think cel service in the Lower Keys is a bit dodgy, but when you're there who cares? You don't need it ;) !

Hope everyone had a Happy and Safe Holiday, and it's good to be back.

. . . . . . is it Spring yet? :D
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-02-11 11:03 AM (#198367 - in reply to #198346)

I have been patiently waiting weeks to reply to this thread.

In less than 48 hours, my wife and I will be on our way to Key West for a week. I am trading in my snow shovel and ice scraper for my snorkeling gear, which is out and ready to go. Blue Heaven restaurant, here we come. Thanks, Cliff, for the tip.

And hopefully the weapon grade icicles hanging from my roof will be gone when we get back.
cliff
Posted 2004-02-11 11:47 AM (#198368 - in reply to #198346)

Jeez!
It's only benn a month and a half, my tan is gone, and I'm ACHING to go back there ALREADY!!

Paul, I am seriously JEALOUS!

ENJOY!!

ps: Paul, if by chance you "partake" at the Blue Heaven's outdoor bar, I HIGHLY recommend the "Goombay Smash" :-)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-02-11 12:02 PM (#198369 - in reply to #198346)

Who's the homeless guy in the pic?
cliff
Posted 2004-02-11 12:15 PM (#198370 - in reply to #198346)

Some drunk who thought he was holding up the sign
(but it was really vice-versa).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)