The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Seating and furniture

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2003-12-27 8:21 PM (#198297)
Subject: Seating and furniture

There have been discussions on what you play and where you play. I would like to toss out a new one on "What do you sit on while you play"? Do you use the couch, folding chair, porch swing, specialty chair? My wife and I are planning on buying a house later this year after I transition from the Navy to civilian life back in the area I grew up in. I am looking for ideas to help me decide what type of music room I want to have to play my O's in adn the furniture to have in it. All ideas are welcome. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-27 8:27 PM (#198298 - in reply to #198297)
Subject: Re: Seating and furniture

I have an armless office chair that is adjustable in height. It can be used at the computer, to play a guitar or sit at the dining table. A separate room would be great...
Standingovation
Posted 2003-12-27 8:31 PM (#198299 - in reply to #198297)

My favorite is a drummers throne. I have the kind which is sort of triangular shaped (like a big bicycle seat, as opposed to the round ones). It has an adjustable back rest. The height of the whole thing is very adjustable. In it's lowest position my leg is perfectly parallel to the floor. Great for holding the guitar. I think it's made by Pearl and cost something like $140. at Guitar Center. Dave
Nils
Posted 2003-12-27 11:27 PM (#198300 - in reply to #198297)

Originally posted by Chuck:
There have been discussions on what you play and where you play. I would like to toss out a new one on "What do you sit on while you play"?

I prefer to sit on my ass. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I usually park my personal ass on an old computer chair with no arm rests here at home.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-28 1:13 AM (#198301 - in reply to #198297)

Chuck

That is a good topic for discussion and maybe for some reflection on what we really set on as it relates to proper playing position. I just set on an old chair with arms and all, and relax and probably hamper any ability I might have to play well. When I played in a band,I always stood up and used a strap. At home, I don't even use the strap, lazy, relaxed, undisciplined, surrounded by amps and equipment in no organized form, but I enjoy it. Occasionally I set up my keyboard and stand up and play it, but even there I'm apt to pick some weird rock and roll rythym and play country songs against it, again in defiance of proper discipline, or a big band melody to some Spanish rythym. But it all goes out into the air and dissappears with no serious consequences. Important that your jamming room is such that you don't incur the neighbor's ire or, worse yet, insults when they ask "What was that awful noise I heard, did you let the kids play with your instruments?" after a night of experimentation.

Bailey
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-28 7:24 AM (#198302 - in reply to #198297)

I have an old wooden swivel desk chair that belonged to my mother-in-law. I have my legend on a stand in easy reach so I can turn from the computer and pick it up and play. A feature I like is the ability to put my foot on one of the supports and get my knee slightly higher than my hip so the O does not slip and slide. As someone told me, the slipping thing is not much of a problem the more you play.
I really don't like to stand and play/sing anymore, and will sit whenever possible. This seems to be acceptable when playing acoustic. I will eventually get some kind of stool to carry with me to play, one a little taller than a chair. I have seen one that has the Dean logo on the seat. It is the triangular seat. Have not checked on the price. (I guess what I really need is an old cultivator seat or one from an M Farmall tractor. Some of you old country boys will know what I am talking about. Padded, they should make a great guitar seat, but might be a little heavy)

Noel
Beal
Posted 2003-12-28 7:43 AM (#198303 - in reply to #198297)

Try a Pickin-Glider chair. I bought two from Elderly in May for the mountain house. Around $350 and they are very comfortable for playing, no arms, and the back and forth rock is great.
amstphd
Posted 2003-12-28 10:13 AM (#198304 - in reply to #198297)

My wife found a folding chair at Ikea called a Dennis. It's higher than most chairs, has a footrest, and a low back. She says she's afraid they don't carry this particular model anymore, which would be a shame because a guitarist friend of ours fell in love with the chair (and my Ovation) when he was over at the house recently and I hoped to get him one for his birthday.

Peace,
John
DPM
Posted 2003-12-28 12:02 PM (#198305 - in reply to #198297)

Most of the time I use a wooden bar stool. Just the right height for me.
willard
Posted 2003-12-28 12:58 PM (#198306 - in reply to #198297)

I use an old drafting chair with a nice padded back and seat. It's just about shot so I'm looking for something new.

John I checked out Ikea's web site and you must be right about no longer having them but I did find this for Noel:

http://www.ikea-usa.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&productId=11426&langId=-1&parentCats=10105*10188
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-28 4:27 PM (#198307 - in reply to #198297)

Hey Willard,

Gotta have one of those! Good price, but when I tried to add one to the shopping cart, I got an error message. Oh well, I'll keep trying when I have more time.

Noel
Bailey
Posted 2003-12-29 1:31 AM (#198308 - in reply to #198297)

Willard

That's pretty close to a Farmall seat, I see it comes in green and in yellow for the John Deere crowd. I like it.

Bailey
biglouis
Posted 2003-12-29 4:19 AM (#198309 - in reply to #198297)

Recently, I've been using a small step ladder/stool which is a higher than I'm used to. I can adjust my legs up and down the rungs so I can play in the "classical" pose with one leg slightly raised, or the more conventional sitting position. The rungs make positioning quite versatile and for some reason it feels more comfortable being higher off the floor.

(You know anyone reading this thread who isn't a guitarist might think we're all talking about the Kama Sutra, or something)
Beal
Posted 2003-12-29 5:16 AM (#198310 - in reply to #198297)

I gotta get some of the JD green ones for the deck! They'll match my gator!
alpep
Posted 2003-12-29 7:08 AM (#198311 - in reply to #198297)

I was going to buy one of those roc n soc chairs with a back to take for gigging and then the guy I was going to do the gigs with decided he was too busy soooooo....I never got one. It is usually the futon or the front step for me.
TRboy
Posted 2003-12-29 9:28 AM (#198312 - in reply to #198297)

Hey cwk2,
Which gator you got? The 4x2 or 6x4?
. . . .
Have you seen the NEW ones? 4x4's made by Bombardier? http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/2003/releases/common/031023_gatorhpscompact.html
scroll down to the sneek peek...
. . . .

.....Awesome!!

Mike :cool:
Strummin12
Posted 2003-12-29 10:02 AM (#198313 - in reply to #198297)

I usually sit at the computer's chair or on the couch when home.

I had been looking for a "gig" bar stool for the occassional mellow tune that I'm not standing for. I had bought one, a plain ol wood for like $26 at Kmart, but it wasn't all that great-it took up a lot of room in the car with all the PA/guitar stuff, and it wasn't all that comfortable either. Took it back in hopes of finding something better.

Anyway...was meandering through ODD JOB a few weeks ago and found the perfect one...black, folding, and a nice thick vinyl seat. Got it for like $7. It's nice and tall, which makes it perfect for a gig, I can just lean back on it, sort of still stand, one foot on the floor, one foot up on the leg rest. It's light, folds flat, and fits right in with the mic stands in the car. Couldn't be more perfect for what I need.

It's just great when the perfect "find" comes along at a great price when you're looking for it.

Johnny
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-31 3:07 PM (#198314 - in reply to #198297)

Sounds like most of you play your O's while sitting at the computer posting to the OFC!!! :D

I play either on the couch or on the "love seat" until my elbow starts to hurt (from the acute angle) and then I strap-up and stand.

I actually like to play standing much more than sitting... more freedom and I can let the "O-swivel" happen (guitar face naturally rotates toward my face) and just noodle.... :cool:

Play standing up in your new room and buy a couch (7'-0") for collapsing on when you're done! :D

tim
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-02 3:36 PM (#198315 - in reply to #198297)

Chuck,

I just remembered that I have a picture of the Love Seat I use (when I'm not standing) in the Member's Pictures area.... check it out...

tim
amstphd
Posted 2004-01-03 1:22 PM (#198316 - in reply to #198297)

For anybody still interested: I was in IKEA this morning and found that the specific store I was in still had the Dennis stool that I wrote about earlier, although only in the 25-inch height. Folds flat, footrest that's positioned to minimize bowl slippage, low back, and $29.95. If you're looking for really comfortable seating, it works. It looks as if it's being replaced by the Franklin stool, proably a distant cousin to the stove. The Franklin seat, however, slopes down toward the rear and I think this would mess up the back, hip, and knee angles while playing. The price is the same, though.
Peace,
John
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-03 5:32 PM (#198317 - in reply to #198297)

IKEA.....I can't wait till we get one here.
Brad
Chuck (Retired Navy)
Posted 2004-01-03 6:00 PM (#198318 - in reply to #198297)

Tim,

I thought a love seat was supposed to st two people, not just one person like yours does. :confused: Maybe for you love seat just means you and the redwood top. :)
Beal
Posted 2004-01-03 6:13 PM (#198319 - in reply to #198297)

Trboy, Got the 4X2. It will haul a load of brush! Not too good in the snow though. I went to dump some brush I picked up in the front yard of the mt house and went to the dumping area and backed in too far. The rear wheels were just over a little ridge, only maybe 6" below the front but they wouldn't move, just spin. And I'm so far back it won't dump because the last load is right there under the tail gate. Then it started to snow. I had to walk back to the house, get the range rover and the chain saw and go back down to the field, cut some trees to get the rover in, go in and pull out the gator, dump the load, put the rover away, walk back down to the field (it's really snowing now, maybe 2" have accumulated) and drive the gator back to the barn. It would have made a funny sitcom. I was pissed but I tried to get too cute backing into the dump area etc, etc. (I know none of you all have ever done anything like that!)
All I drove the rest of the time north was my Collings, National and the Pickin-Glider which I'm happy to say never got stuck.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-05 12:16 PM (#198320 - in reply to #198297)

I can personally vouch that Bill's Pick'n Gliders are QUITE comfy and're well worth the money.

I can't play sitting in a "low" position for too long. My left shoulder starts aching. I generally play standing with a strap or on a tall stool in an "almost" standing position (also with a strap).
I found these nice tall black sleek-looking metal bar stools with a padded seat, footrest, and very low backrest. Coincidentally, they're made by Ikea as well, but I don't know the name on 'em.
They came back to us when somebody left a half dozen abandoned (disassembled in the original cartons) at a tradeshow booth. I was able to scam three of them. Rick and I used them for practice and we liked 'em so much that we each bring one to our gigs. They're sturdy, always LEVEL, have a bit of "spring" to them (there's just two legs in front that angle "back" - like an italicized "L"), they offer consistant comfortable seating from venue to venue, and offer somewhat of a "professional appearance" so that we at least LOOK like we know what the fuck we're doing! ;) . The only problem with them is that they don't fold and are bit cumbersome in a cramped vehicle. (That's where the Cruiser comes in handy.) They're good in that you can change from standing to sitting with little effort (and minimal mic adjustment). I'm not sure if they're still available, but I'll try to find an Ikea "name" on one of 'em if anyone's interested.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-06 7:51 AM (#198321 - in reply to #198297)

Chuck,

Most "Love Seats" will accomodate two people... mine is just a little more cosy... but as with all things in life, we must have priorities... my wife sits in her rocker and I sit with my "other" wife in the love seat... I'm still trying to figure out what the look on my wife's face means.... :confused:

tim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)