The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Early Elite on Ebay

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Bluebird
Posted 2004-01-03 3:16 PM (#198286 - in reply to #198261)
Subject: Re: Early Elite on Ebay

The seller is an OFC member whom I doubt very much is scaming anyone.

He probably got an offer high enough over the high bid to make it worth his while to end early. When one ends an auction, they are supposed to sell to the high bidder at the posted bid but that is often not the whole story.

Wayne
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bradley
Posted 2004-01-03 6:12 PM (#198287 - in reply to #198261)

Also, I checked the seller's feedback. He sold a guitar for around $1500. The buyer left positive feedback so the seller looks good.

There is still time to pick up on the 1547!

Bradley
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-03 7:40 PM (#198288 - in reply to #198261)

BruDev, you are so right, that could have been option 4. I'm sure eBay is a popular place to fence stolen goods.

Wayne and Bradley, I am glad to hear that it is a OFC member selling it and it is legit. The thought that there might have been an "arrangement" is quite possible, and ending the auction at the current bid is the cheapest way to deal with it.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Bradley
Posted 2004-01-03 10:26 PM (#198289 - in reply to #198261)

Maybe the buyer read the earlier posts about how great a guitar the 1537 is and decided to buy it for the original buy-it-now price. It is sure worth the money and it would be nice for a seller to get close to what these wonderful guitars are worth. IMHO, and since I own one I can say this, they are worth more that the original buy-it-now price.

Bradley
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-03 10:32 PM (#198290 - in reply to #198261)

I little off-topic, but not too far I hope. I doubt much stolen merchandise goes through eBay. I'm sure some does, but there is way too much risk on the side of the sellar having to give up all sorts of information just to sign-up. Scams are a plenty, but once you get paid and then ship stolen merchandise, you're in a whole new level with the law. Much easier to unload a hot guitar at a local pawn shop for cash, or to barter it for whatever one might need.

As far as ending auctions early, there are all sorts of reasons. Not encouraged, but if someone I know calls me up with "hey, I didn't know you were selling that" I'd probably end early for a good deal for a friend.

One more note, I have an early glossy from Ovation and it was actually called in print "Adamas Elite"
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-03 11:13 PM (#198291 - in reply to #198261)

Why don't OFC members use a way to give first dibs on sales to each other?

Were these units available in our own sell/trade area first?

I would wonder why not and what could be done to encourage such.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-03 11:26 PM (#198292 - in reply to #198261)

First MWoody... Welcome. Port Orchard area is great... I lived in Bremerton for awhile, and yes I admit it. :)

On the guitars, many of us do post in the for sale section first. I usually put guitars on eBay and then post that it's there as I frequently list with the "Buy It Now" feature.

Many folks only post here.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-04 12:09 AM (#198293 - in reply to #198261)

Thanks.

I help maintain WMD's for the worlds leading semi-democratic Nation.

I've really enjoyed the posts - epecially when someone cries "blood in the water" and a new line of history, knowledge and reminiscence breaks out. Thanks to the core that that keeps it going!

PS - How about a spell checkerer for the posts?
Morse
Posted 2004-01-04 1:26 AM (#198294 - in reply to #198261)

Hi, guys. haven't been here for a while. I'm glad to see there's no shortage of opinions. I owned the old 1537 on ebay that was just sold. It went for more than $500 to the last bidder. He and I just agreed on a price and I ended the auction. He is a minister in MD and had given away his instrument and was drawn to this one, for good reason I think! Anyway, it went to a good home and, no, it wasn't stolen and I'm not broke. Just thinning the heard. This was a great sounding guitar, but it had some noticeable dings and dents on the top and the frets had some wear, so it was more of a workhorse than a collector's piece (as it should be!) Anyway, if these guitars are such great prices why aren't people falling all over themselves to get them?
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-04 1:55 AM (#198295 - in reply to #198261)

"Anyway, if these guitars are such great prices why aren't people falling all over themselves to get them?"

That is a very good question. Many posts over the past months but no real answers. Maybe a problem inherent with an internet auction (where you can't see & play the instrument) and lack of knowledge as to the value (yet a lot of discussion on this particular guitar.)

Obviously, a good buyers market at this time.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-04 9:40 AM (#198296 - in reply to #198261)

Morse, glad you did well on the auction! Happy to hear that your Elite is going to a good home.

The reason that more members are not interested in a great guitar like this is that it may not be KNOWN how great a guitar it is! I wouldn't have, but for the comments by those of you who have experience with them. Like I said in another string, I've never had the chance to even play an Elite, so knowing how it compares to a Balladeer or a Legend is tough.

I will eat my words from earlier in this string.....I found a guitar too good to pass up on eBay yesterday and won the auction for it last night....a 1986-vintage Glen Campbell 12-string, deep-bowl, no-cutaway. I'm not the slightest bit worried that it won't sound good! :)

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)