The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
POLL: 1431e EP-Cover

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

GregDK
Posted 2003-12-30 2:05 PM (#198214)
Subject: POLL: 1431e EP-Cover

hi@all,

just a question for you, what do you think about this cover? would you buy the cd or not?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2003-12-30 2:12 PM (#198215 - in reply to #198214)
Subject: Re: POLL: 1431e EP-Cover

It's a nice cover, but I'd pass on it ONLY because I'm totally into Acoustic music....now, if she was playing an Adamas or an Elite..... I'd probably check it out...

tim
peterbright
Posted 2003-12-30 2:23 PM (#198216 - in reply to #198214)

Great cover, but I look to see what's actually on the cd & it doesn't have anything but "crank" on it to tell me what it is.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2003-12-30 2:38 PM (#198217 - in reply to #198214)

If she showed more cleavage, possibly.
Billy Blaze
Posted 2003-12-30 4:37 PM (#198218 - in reply to #198214)

a bikini with a tampon string hangign out would do it for me. lol
just kidding ,... i think its ok for anoriginal music project
GregDK
Posted 2003-12-30 4:38 PM (#198219 - in reply to #198214)

lol, I got e-mail from somebody who's not at OFC and he declared that he hates that mixture between paul's boutique (beastie boys) and brimful of asha ( cornershop). I had to look up at amazon and was astonished that he had all the covers in his head. he'd like the crank logo tattooed on his belly more than the other crap.
that's what I like ;)
Nils
Posted 2003-12-30 11:28 PM (#198220 - in reply to #198214)

Based solely on that picture & name, no, I'm afraid I would not buy it.
I probably shouldn't ask this, but did you consider "blow", "smack", "acid" & "crack" before you settled on "crank"?
Heheheheheh :)
Poor name choice, imo, but I suppose I'm an old fart.
Come to think of it, what would you call the groupies? Cranksters?
I shudder to think about having cranksters following me around.
Damn thievin' zombies.

/\/\/
GregDK
Posted 2003-12-31 3:47 AM (#198221 - in reply to #198214)

haha nils,
very funny, haven't laughed so good for years.
seems like you're really in the drug biz ;)
perhaps you should stop by this cd and listen to it to recognize why it's called crank.
happy new year
alpep
Posted 2003-12-31 7:53 AM (#198222 - in reply to #198214)

Back in the day I stole the drummer from a band named KranK (with the second K reversed.
He bought sold and used dope along with his wife and it was a very uncomfortable situation for a few years.
His now x wife wound up in a rehab for many years, he got straight but lost his house and got custody of the kid who the last time I saw him at 4 years old was still in diapers not talking drinking from a bottle. Oh did I tell you the kid used to eat the "roaches" out of the ashtray? Famous quote from his dad "do you really think he is getting high off of those roaches" I replied and when your old lady bakes the stuff in brownies and you eat it what happens? "guess I should not let him do that then huh?"

Sorry but the name brings me back to a very painful time in my life that I would sooner forget than remember.
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-01 9:09 AM (#198223 - in reply to #198214)

hi alpep,

seems like you had made your experiences with drug buddies.

but here I must say just read the first page at our website where the meaning of the word "Crank" is declared. surely we're an old-fashionend alter native band ( not the new shit what's called alternative more like boss hog, chokebore, cows, god bullies etc.) but we don't use drugs except getting drunk from time to time.
It's strange that everybody's is telling drug stories in here. very funny as a matter of fact everyone of us is or was working as a kind of social worker. perhaps it'd have been a better decision to name us "crack".

a happy new year to all and wait for our first online ep-release then you can download crank music instead using crank drugs ;)
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-01 10:14 AM (#198224 - in reply to #198214)

Greg, it is OK, but I think it would be more effective if the "city" background were deleted and the young lady playing guitar was on a stark WHITE background. Emphasizes the artwork more...the background delutes it.

The artwork of the young lady is what is attracting the eye, not the background. A solid color background, any bright attractive color, would work better, IMHO. But I think white would be best to constrast with the "crank" logo.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Mary S
Posted 2004-01-01 11:56 AM (#198225 - in reply to #198214)

Greg, I looked up your site......didn't see a lady in your band. Just looking at the cover I would expect to hear female vocals.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-01 12:34 PM (#198226 - in reply to #198214)

Greg, hope you understand the thoughtful suggestions being made. If a significant proportion of your potential audience immediately thinks of crystal methamphetamine when they see/hear the word crank, you might want to take that into consideration.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-01 2:37 PM (#198227 - in reply to #198214)

I thought I would let this thread play awhile before I commented, and I'm glad I did. First I will say I like the art. My first thought on the cover was from a technical aspect of that it doesn't look quite finished, but from a strictly production aspect. The content and arrangement and all is great. I like the concept and the art but it looks like material from three artists blended together but much like in music, it needs to be mastered so instead of sounding like 3 intruments it sounds like one musical piece, or in this case, instead of three pieces of art, it should look like one piece of art. Maybe an overall toner effect something like that just to pull it together.

As far as the name, the first thoughts I had were "CRANK it up!!" or "CRANK YANKERS" (phoney phone calls). If it had needles or the chick was drugged out, or the city was in rubble I may have gone the drug direction, but I thought tongue'n cheek first.

The fact that several people see it completely different, and some seem to be totally offended is PERFECT!!! That's the cover you want to sell your CD!!! A name that has several meanings from fun to evil, PERFECT!!!! The content of the cover, although copied which may bring some problems, conjurs up yet more mystique, again... PERFECT!!
Who's the girl? there's no girl in the band, A GREAT 80's trick that worked for tons of all male bands.. Great White is the first that comes to mind.

It got me to go to the website and check it out (real domain name, nice touch too, very professional).

If you can't already tell, I don't like straight forward, this is what you are going to get, album covers. Especially for new bands. You want to come on the scene with as many people making a fuss as possible, and it really doesn't matter if they are singing praises or screaming in distain, as long as they spell it right. All music is not for everyone, but if you can get people that don't like your music or artwork or name, to yell about it and thier feelings, then just check to make sure they spell your name right, 'cause it's free adverstising. The people that do like it, are already your fans, but they can only do so much. It's the people that aren't your fans that will unbeknown to them, causing people who may have never heard of you, to take notice and BECOME fans. If the music is good, and the act polished, you can reap the rewards in the long run. The key in getting started is the Buzz. Good bad or indifferent, you want people to remember who you are.
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-02 2:48 AM (#198228 - in reply to #198214)

hi,

@mr. ovation: thanks for your comment. these were the reasons why I took these pics. the girl, is the little sister of a good female friend of mine and the other one was taken at times square,nyc. I'm watching these girls at covers like calexico etc. also for years. and the other way of advertising is used my marilyn manson for a decade.

@Roger: hehe, haven't known that meaning until now, thanx. but that's not so bad in fact we're all fans of amphetamine reptile records ;)

@mary: sorry, no female in here, but lots of female at our gigs and I can also sing as high like a bird ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-02 3:52 AM (#198229 - in reply to #198214)

Very cool Greg. I got the impression the art was copied based on an earlier post about the Beastie Boys. If it's all original art (pictures) very cool. The "lil sis of female friend" is cool schtick for those interviews years from now. It's nice to cultivate and keep track of that stuff so interviews become more than "what's your influences?" and "where'd you guys meet?" Cool stuff indeed.
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-02 12:38 PM (#198230 - in reply to #198214)

when you watch the background pic very closely you can see me standing at the corner, hehe.
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-03 6:23 AM (#198231 - in reply to #198214)

now you can watch the photo shootings and my ovation guitars at my gallery at ofc.
c ya
Nils
Posted 2004-01-03 3:35 PM (#198232 - in reply to #198214)

Originally posted by peterbright:
Greg, hope you understand the thoughtful suggestions being made. If a significant proportion of your potential audience immediately thinks of crystal methamphetamine when they see/hear the word crank, you might want to take that into consideration.

My point exactly.
Crank is a major menace. I could name three autobody shops that I watched the owners snort. Along with their marriages & kids & everything else they had, including their self respect. I worked for two of them, saw what was happening & left. They were the models for that guy in the bottle on TV- gotta snort dope so I can do more work so I can make more money so I can buy more dope so I can do more work...
When I see the word crank I immediately have negative thoughts. Can't help it.

/\/\/
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-03 11:08 PM (#198233 - in reply to #198214)

Originally posted by Nils:

My point exactly.
Crank is a major menace. I could name three autobody shops that I watched the owners snort. Along with their marriages & kids & everything else they had, including their self respect. I worked for two of them, saw what was happening & left. They were the models for that guy in the bottle on TV- gotta snort dope so I can do more work so I can make more money so I can buy more dope so I can do more work...

/\/\/

Well based on the website definition of what they thought about the name...... having a double meaning only means more sales.. That's a pretty innocent name compared to most in the modern rock, hip hop or punk genre's.

Hey Greg, I guess I'm the only one that likes it... but what do I know. Crank It Up !!!!!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-03 11:12 PM (#198234 - in reply to #198214)

Originally posted by Mr. Ovation:

Originally posted by Nils:

My point exactly.

Well based on the website definition of what they thought about the name...... having a double meaning only means more sales.. That's a pretty innocent name compared to most in the modern rock, hip hop or punk genre's.

Hey Greg, I guess I'm the only one that likes it... but what do I know. Crank It Up !!!!! I find names like "Butt-Hole Surfers" "Morphine" "Jane's Addiction" "Gutter Sluts" "Crackhouse Whores" and "Britney Spears" much more offensive, but I still like most of the music... except for Britney... I just find her offensive.
GregDK
Posted 2004-01-04 5:13 AM (#198235 - in reply to #198214)

hi mr. ovation,

hehe I like it, I posted this thread to Hanswurst Jun. and he was laughing out loud. I haven't thought of so much feedback, most depending on the band name.

I find it really kewl that it seems that you are one of the small minority that like the name like we do and don't think that we're just pot smoking, lsd sniffin' and cocaine as tooth paste using assholes. but that could be the reason 'cause you listen to the same music we prefer. I also love the old butthole surfer things like pepper or the band supersuckers.
I also found a more drug related band name: Heroine sheiks ( weird music!!!)

but perhaps we took that name cause our style is very addictive. for all the others, who really want to know how and why we decided for that name( yes it was a democratic decision 4:0) read the first news entry @ www.crankmusic.com
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-04 11:49 AM (#198236 - in reply to #198214)

" 'cause you listen to the same music we prefer "

I would assume that also. By the way, the real reason for this post is my other half Lisa saw the album cover and had the same reaction as me. "Crank It Up" There's a girl holding an electric guitar, what else could it mean? I showed her the website, then the rest of the thread. She thought it was all pretty funny too.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-04 1:06 PM (#198237 - in reply to #198214)

How about a sub-title that could connect the demure bohemian girl to the NY street corner?

"Crank it continental"

Caution: I grew up looking at and finding deep meaning in Led Zep and Pink Floyd Album covers. Didn't need the drugs.
Glockaxis
Posted 2004-01-04 1:40 PM (#198238 - in reply to #198214)

No
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)