The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Stupid Things I've Done

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Bailey
Posted 2004-01-09 2:50 AM (#198200 - in reply to #198175)
Subject: Re: Stupid Things I've Done

Well

At least your stupidities didn't make the news. In the early 50's, my brother and I and a friend by the name of Ernest Hiltibidle, went down through a valley and across a ford in a flooded river in Ernest's 1934 Oldsmobile coupe (with a rumble seat like ZZ top's). Ernest swore he could make it across, and we swore when the water reached the window level and the engine flooded (with water not gasoline). The car was being pushed off the ford by the fast flowing current, so we opened the doors to reduce the resistance, grabbed the seat as it started to float out and sat on the seat on the roof as we honked the horn in hopes of salvation. Salvation came on the west side of the river as a local farmer backed his Farmall M out to us and rescued us. As he took us off the west side and up the hill, we could see many flashing red lights on the east side. Somebody volunteered to drive us the 15 or so miles from where we were at on the west side across the nearest bridge to get us to the rescue crews on the east side, whereas the rescue people on hearing our sad story, gave a sigh of relief as they were preparing to start a search for our bodies.

My sister sent me a clipping in California from the local Ohio paper in the 70's saying "25 years ago Bailey (full names deleted to protect the guilty) Johnny and Ernest were rescued from the ford at Plymouth after their car was stranded in a flood."

To add to the stupidity, that winter we had a big snowstorm where the roads were sheets of ice with snow banks on the side. Ernest showed up with his 34 Olds that he had finally got running after it was rescued, and we spent the afternoon driving down the road and cutting the wheel so the car would spin two or three times and end up in a snow bank as they kept it out of the ditch. After about an hour of this childish fun (and it was great fun) the Olds started knocking loudly and quit. Turned out the oil pump had water in it and had frozen shearing the drive gear so Ernest had finally destroyed that 34 Olds. (He lived with his grandparents and they gave him all these good old cars they had been taking care of since they were new (they also gave Ernest a '41 Buick sedan that he cut the roof off of to make it a convertable)).

Stupidity is being an Ohio farm boy with a friend named Ernest Hiltibidle.

Bailey
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TRboy
Posted 2004-01-09 10:49 AM (#198201 - in reply to #198175)

1. Remember, I'm kinda new here. When taking pictures for of OFC gallery, I went to great lengths to make sure that something showed in the refection of the serial number plate on my Breadwinner. I thought you guys really looked for these things.

Slipkid, I noticed the reflection the 1st time I viewed your gallery and didn't really "see" anything but now that I've gone back and looked closer I think I see.....

....The shape of the Starship "Enterprise" (on the left side) flying over a giant scroll saw??(on the right side)........What does it mean?? :confused: :D ;) :rolleyes:
. . . .

Mike :cool:
cliff
Posted 2004-01-09 10:53 AM (#198202 - in reply to #198175)

"Measure Twice, Live Long and Prosper"
TRboy
Posted 2004-01-09 10:56 AM (#198203 - in reply to #198175)

Thanks Cliff, makes more sense now! :D
. . . .

Mike :cool:
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-09 12:04 PM (#198204 - in reply to #198175)

Mike,
You win. Enterprise it is. It's a pewter model on a glass shelf. I did not try for anything else.
If I had to do it over, I would have try to put a bikini babe.
Brad
Nils
Posted 2004-01-09 11:41 PM (#198205 - in reply to #198175)

-rescued from the ford at Plymouth- after trying to Dodge the current in their Olds.

heheheh

/\/\/
Nils
Posted 2004-01-09 11:48 PM (#198206 - in reply to #198175)

-If I had to do it over, I would have try to put a bikini babe.
Brad-

You don't mean the fat one in the tuning button?? :)
We haven't seen her or that double ugly O for a long time.

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-10 2:39 AM (#198207 - in reply to #198175)

Nils

And Nashing our teeth throughout it all.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-10 12:01 PM (#198208 - in reply to #198175)

Baily-
At least you weren't trying to cross the Hudson, just on a Lark. That's too big of a Reo.

(This is fun)

/\/\/
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-11 2:13 AM (#198209 - in reply to #198175)

Something about this is giving me the WILLYS, do any of these elements of the story have AMERICAN MOTORS, my sister says she was there but I'll have to CHECKER story out. My friend Ed, says he wants to sell us a car to replace that '34 Olds, I'd never buy anything that EDSELs.

Well, that's all I know, YUGO on with this travesty at your own risk, throw your FIAT to the wind.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-11 10:51 AM (#198210 - in reply to #198175)

....gonna buy me a MERCURY, and cruise it up and down the road....and....my pappy told me, "Son, you gonna drive me to drinkin', if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod LINCOLN!".....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON - 19?? Glen Campbell 12-string
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-12 1:57 AM (#198211 - in reply to #198175)

Sorry I posted such a SAAB story, my dog Volks is looking at me as if I had done something wrong, a dog treat has VOLKSWAGON her tail. I lost Volks once and when she returned I had to learn to RENAULT (reknow) her again. The other dog that came from the same litter we named Arri, it was so nice FERARRI that Volks returned. The whole doggie thing started when my sister's wedding to a baker fell through when she STUDEBAKER up and was left holding Volks and Arri.

I seem to have two dogs growling at me as if I was some kind of PUGEOUT (that's what our other dog Geout (pronounced Joe) keeps leaving on the carpet when we don't put him out on time.

Stupidist thing I ever done was tell this story.
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-13 1:33 AM (#198212 - in reply to #198175)

And I forgot to mention, Volks, Arri, and Geout were conceived in a hayfield, their father was an alfALFA ROMEO.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-13 11:39 AM (#198213 - in reply to #198175)

Alfalfa Romeo - ROTFLMAO
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)