The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
New 30th Anniversary Custom Legend $1900.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-01 7:01 PM (#198126 - in reply to #198101)
Subject: Re: New 30th Anniversary Custom Legend $1900.

Paul,

Last January (about the 3rd week), I emailed from the Ovation site:

"If you need to speak to an Ovation representative, you can email us at: customerservice@ovationguitars.com"

When I didn't get a response, send a second email about two weeks later. Just felt that the lack of response was typical of other guitar companies...took two tries with Martin and one try with Gibson as I had questions concerning the Martin and Gibson also.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-01 8:02 PM (#198127 - in reply to #198101)

Roger, Just my personal opinion here but if you want a deep bowl noncutaway 1111 with OP30 electronics I would look on ebay and pick up an older 1111. They pop up all the time for very reasonable prices ($300-$400). Then send it to Ovation and have them put in the modern electronics. It might cost you $150 or so. But in the end you would have an absolute killer guitar (and unique) for not a lot of money. Dave
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-01 8:06 PM (#198128 - in reply to #198101)

Ditto Dave.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-01 8:40 PM (#198129 - in reply to #198101)

A few things I see on this thread that trouble me. Not a lot, because frankly I don't get troubled, but as usual I have my twist on things.

First, emailing customer support and not getting a response is VERY odd, but their 1-800 number is good too. I would call them. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to find Kim digging in old email folders after reading this thread looking for your info or hunting down the IT guy to find out why it didn't go through.

We have beat the "big box" store mentality to the bone, but lets face it, the people that work there for the most part are moving product and could care less about "repeat customers" or "customer service" It's not how they make money. They make money in sales, and at the volumes they do, loosing a few customers means nothing. In fact, if you walk in and start asking quesitons you are a liability in their eyes cause if you are talking, you aren't buying. You "may" be buying, but while the guy is badly answering questions that you know he doesn't have a clue about, three other people just got his commission on other sales he missed cause he was talking to you. Even if he knew about the custom order program, why in g-ds name would he tell you about it. It means more work for him, and no more money.

As far as Ovation telling us about what they have available. They have leaked info to us once in awhile. But frankly we are just a big group of opinions for the most part. Sure some have bought a NEW guitar in recent years. But of the active members, I doubt 100 NEW guitars have been bought in the past two years. They DESIGNED a guitar almost exclusivly on input from the OFC (the Fokelore), and the only member that I know of that has one, WON IT at the tour. Several people asked for certain Adamas guitars that were thought to no longer be made. Al had them (maybe still has a few) Yet when I talk to Al, he is packing them up and sending yet another one to a paying customer in Japan and Europe.

On Custom orders. Obviously that needs to be more "word of mouth." A custom order gets special treatment, even if it only seems like it's swapping a pre-amp. You took the time to think it out, and you are paying more money, and they know it. They know it has to be perfect or you are just going to send it back. A custom order guitar is something special, and the fact that Ovation even offers it on a "low key" level is amazing.

I guess I don't get the fuss. I am one of the biggest whiners about Ovation Marketing but it's mostly because it doesn't make sence to me, yet it makes money for them. They do what I think are some of the oddest things, and yet they are still a major force in the musical instrument sales industry. AND they probably have one of the best customer support departments, AND their Warantee is pretty unbelievable for the industry AND if it comes to it, they will build you anything you want , somewhat within reason. The reason I qualified that "somewhat within reason" is because of Hamer. They built that 5 neck for Rick and it's certainly not "within reason" but I digress.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not scolding just trying to inspire.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-01 10:38 PM (#198130 - in reply to #198101)

Miles,
I came onto the OFC in August of this year which I found the link from the Ovation site - my appreciation to Ovation for the link to the OFC.
At the time of the emails, I was not a member of the OFC and when I saw "custom" on the Ovation site I equated it to the Martin's "Custom Shop". And, I had only bought new guitars. After a little time on the OFC, I realized Ovation "custom" is far different...a wonderful opportunity to interface with Ovation as to finish, style, etc., without paying as much as some cars. Again, my appreciation of Ovation. Appreciated a couple of posts by Ovation staff that if you want it, we will build it. Outstanding. If I had been able to order deep bowl, dark sunburst CL 6-str and 12-str, I would have placed my order about 12 mos ago. Would have been nice to have gotten an email telling me it was possible and that I should contact a dealer - not done but that is behind us.

I have learned a lot from the OFC with the postings and archive. If I have an unanswered email in the future, I will call. If I sell an Ovation, I will encourage the buyer to sign up with the OFC.

I am opinionated about the situation concerning the Custom Legend 30th - it is a limited run of a top of the line model and to allow a dealer to eBay it in advance of other dealers having the opportunity to sell it doesn't seem right. Thus, my statement that I will buy from Al. If Al doesn't have some available, I won't participate. I told him that in an email. Heck, it might cost me a few more dollars through Al. Whatever. My way of showing support with my wallet. Hopefully, it won't take 12 months or more after NAMM before Al has the slothead Adamas available due to lower volume than mass market sellers.

Not my place to attempt to impose my actions on anyone else. Someone on OFC buys the current listing, great. His or her decision. I just stated mine.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-01 11:05 PM (#198131 - in reply to #198101)

Tony, Just a word of defense for Oklahoma Vintage Guitar. They are a straight up honest dealer and in the last year I did in fact buy a new Ovation from them (Folklore Deluxe, btw I think 4 of us on this board now own these). Just because OVG has the foresight to order these types of guitars very early (FD, GC reissue, CL anniversary) and to put them up on ebay as quickly as possible is not a reason to be pissed off at them. Rather, they should be commended for their insight and the fact that they do seem to think along the same lines as some of us on this board. They don't dump the guitars at rock bottom prices either (I paid $1350 for my FD). There are other very trust worthy dealers out there (Alpep certainly being one of them). But I just wanted to come to the defense of OVG because they don't deserve to be villified for doing absolutely nothing wrong. Dave
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-01 11:54 PM (#198132 - in reply to #198101)

I have a high regard for Oklahoma Vintage...fast and full replies to my emails...friendly, etc. - even on New Years day.

In fact, that is why I posted direct quotes from them in this thread.

And, I have checked out a number of their prior postings. Good pictures, encouragement to call, etc.

I just think that it would have been nice if Al would have had the opportunity prior to actually distributing guitars to dealers...Bobby said it is available for immediate ship. Sounds like a good guy, good products, and reasonable pricing.

I could see Ovation placing some of the guitars out in showrooms to build interest, but Bobby pretty much stated they had more on the way.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-02 12:30 AM (#198133 - in reply to #198101)

Hey Tony, I see what you are saying now. I didn't really get it earlier. I think there are plenty of guitars to go around, and the fact that a "NEW" guitar is appearing on eBay probably helps the other guitar shops too. How you might ask, well simply the many many folks like you who see it on eBay and then seek out their favorite dealer. If a n authorized dealer were to go below their price arrangement with Ovation, that's a different story and I'm sure Ovation deals with those things. Also keep in mind all of the dealers must BUY their guitars, and I don't know about Al (as friends we tend to not talk buisness together) but I'm not sure how many stores are plopping down a bunch of bucks on a new guitar before the press is even really out on it. Some stores have certain guitars or a certain number of guitars ear marked for them, maybe even before they are built. Most stores, especially this time of year, wait for NAMM so they can maybe get a deal and promotion and such. So I applaud the guitar store that has the capital to already have one on eBay. It gets the word out, it gets the buzz started, and gets people asking questions on a local level.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)