The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Sometimes you gotta take a chance

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

xnoel
Posted 2003-12-31 2:34 PM (#198092)
Subject: Sometimes you gotta take a chance

Hope this does not post twice, I just hit the wrong key and sent my first one who knows where!

I am relatively new to Ovations, got my first one a few months ago, a 1617 Legend, its great!
Came onboard the fan club in Sept., its great too!

As I read daily posts and search old ones, it gradually dawned on me that I must have a 12 string! Must be subliminal messages here. Al quoted me a good price for either an Elite or a Legend, but still a little above my range, after all I am just a poor preacher. (I told a guy that one time and he said, "I know, I've heard you preach."

I bid on a few, but did not score. Thanksgiving week, I bid on an 1866 Legend that was listed as a "project guitar" crack in the top from the bridge to the end of the guitar. Seller said that it had never be sold, it was made in 2000. I stayed with the bidding this time and got it for $331. Which I thought was a pretty good price.

Received the guitar and it was just as advertised and described. I was willing to take a chance because I know a fellow that builds and repairs guitars. And even though I would have to pay for the repair, I felt it would still be worth it.

He repaired the crack,reset the bridge, and as a part of the repair package, he restrung, and set the action.

I got it back on Monday of this week. WOW! It is the best playing guitar I have ever had. I am really having fun. My wife even likes it, says it is beautiful, sounds good and is the LAST guitar I will ever need!

Two reasons for writing this:
1. To say I "Got my 12 string"
(it would be hypocritical to not be honest about that)
2. To say that if you can't afford new, and you are not trying to buy collectorables, sometimes you gotta take a chance. I did and it has worked out great so far.
Some pointers:
Know what to look for,
eBay is much more risky than being able to physically examine the instrument
Top of the page Bottom of the page
xnoel
Posted 2003-12-31 2:41 PM (#198093 - in reply to #198092)
Subject: Re: Sometimes you gotta take a chance

Duh!
I will get this finished!

Find someone who will be willing to repair your guitar should you find one.
Take a small inspection mirror with you so you can see if a crack is on a brace or in the open. If it is on a brace, it might not be easily fixed.

Search and read about cracked tops in the old posts here on the fan club.

Know what guitars of that model are selling for, ones that don't have cracks, factor in shipping and repair. Don't pay more for a damaged top than you could buy an undamaged one for.

I know that many here will not be interested in this, but it was a way that I could upgrade to a better guitar and be able to afford it.
Noel
Gary K
Posted 2003-12-31 3:04 PM (#198094 - in reply to #198092)

Noel,

Glad it went well with your 12 string!

-Gary K
TRboy
Posted 2003-12-31 9:04 PM (#198095 - in reply to #198092)

Great story Noel! I remember the auction on your guitar and you've got you one good looking 12 string!! (yours has the inlayed rosette right?)
Glad everything worked out great for you!! I too took a chance on a '90 1866-4 12 string off of ebay in need of a neck reset. The seller was very up front about the possibility that the guitar would need a reset and I got it at a good price. I sent mine back to the factory where Kim Keller and his crew did a FANTASTIC job on the reset!!! I'am also glad I "took the chance"
. . . . .
1866 12 strings are great sounding and playing guitars and I know you'll be happy with yours.
You'll have to posts us some pics and welcome to the 12 string family :p
. . . . .

Mike :cool:
xnoel
Posted 2004-01-04 5:16 PM (#198096 - in reply to #198092)

Thanks Mike. Sorry I did not acknowledge your reply, New years, got sick, etc. Yes it has an inlaid rosette. I was surprised by the sound unplugged. When I learn how to post pictures, I will do so.

Noel
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-05 3:24 AM (#198097 - in reply to #198092)

Xnoel

As one who had a 12 string years ago, and learned to love it, i am working on a 12 string program to quell this addiction that flares up every time a deal like yours shows up on Ebay. My meetings with my group are always cancelled as they flock to Ebay to see the newest pusher of 12 strings. Some people on this board insist on pointing out every beautiful 12 string that is for sale not realizing the havoc they cause in our lives. I wish they would explain the drooling marks all over my monitor to my wife. I am crawling on the floor, biddding on every 12 string on Ebay, even though I have only $8 in my bank account, and you already have your 12 string. Your doom is insured unless you ship your 12 string guitar immediately to the following address.

(this has been edited for the good of mankind)

Bailey
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-05 5:29 AM (#198098 - in reply to #198092)

Bailey, was that you trying to outsnipe me for the GC 12-string on eBay Saturday night????? :D

I didn't know my doom was insured, that must be why my premiums are so high......

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON.....1986 Glen Campbell 12-string
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-05 2:51 PM (#198099 - in reply to #198092)

Roger....congrats on the GC. Now you have TWO premium 12 strings. The bug has bit you but good!
Brad
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-05 7:05 PM (#198100 - in reply to #198092)

Thanks, Brad, once I get started on something, I go nuts(just ask my wife).....my experience with the ME 12-string has been fabulous. The sound is so nice that I am almost spoiled for 6-strings. I was saving for a Balladeer/Legend/Elite/Adamas 6-string(hadn't decided yet), found the GC 12-string on eBay Saturday morning and knew I just HAD to try for it. I think slothead 12-strings are just SO cool! And it's a deep-bowl, no cutaway. Hopefully it will be here next week. The seller and I are working out payment details and shipping right now.

The post history proved very handy...I looked up an old string on shipping guitars, and I'm taking Al's advice to use UPS for the shipping.(thanks Al!)

Now I have to pretty much start over to save for a 6-string again! It's funny having two premium 12-strings and two cheap 6-strings!!!!

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON! - 1986 Glen Campbell 12-string
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)