The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New to Ovations - Need opinions please

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Lend27
Posted 2004-01-02 3:41 PM (#198017)
Subject: New to Ovations - Need opinions please

I want to purchase an Ovation guitar.
I want a super shallow bowl. I want it to sound good both unplugged and plugged. My budget is around $900.00.
I am looking at a new Ovation 1867 Legend. It seems to fit the bill.
Are there any others I should be looking at?
Opinions on the 1867 Legend are appreciated.

Thanks
Len
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-02 4:03 PM (#198018 - in reply to #198017)
Subject: Re: New to Ovations - Need opinions please

Len,

You asked for advice.... you must be really brave! ;)

I have 3 Ovations (all Mid-Depth). Two are "round hole" Balladeers and I love them. They have great tone plugged or un-plugged. (See pictures in my OFC Album).

But I also have a 2001 Collectors' Redwood top, MULTIHOLE. It just blows the others away! There is something VERY SPECIAL about the "multi-hole" Ovations.... you should really play one and see/feel/hear the difference.

If I can ever convince my wife that I really do need another guitar, I'd buy either an Elite or an Adamas... no doubt about it. :cool:

tim
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-02 4:07 PM (#198019 - in reply to #198017)

IMHO...Plugged in, they all sound good. Unplugged a deep bowl is best. I have not played a shallow bowl in the $900 range that could compare with a deep bowl. Why do you want the shallow bowl? Of course, the compromise would be to get the midsize.
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-02 4:54 PM (#198020 - in reply to #198017)

I would recommend that you listen to a super shallow and a mid or deep bowl side by side to see which you prefer.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-02 5:11 PM (#198021 - in reply to #198017)

You need to find someplace that has some Ovations and play them. I think you'll find that unless you spend major money and buy an older super shallow bowl Adamas, you might not be satisfied with the unplugged sound.

Everybody here is right in that mid depth is the way to go. Try to play and Elite T and and Balladeer Standard (S771?). Make the music store put new strings on both, and I think you'll be pleased with the sound of both. And both can be purchased new for about $700 (check with Al on this board -- he's a dealer).

But if you can wait another month and put a little more money together, the look for one of the new LX series. I'm guessing (because I haven't played one yet) that the acoustic sound will be even better than the guitars listed above.

But sound is a subjective thing. Play them all and see what you like.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-02 7:20 PM (#198022 - in reply to #198017)

Trying to find a super-shallow which will sound good both acoustically & unplugged is like trying to find a souped-up sports car which will give you economical mileage on the school run. There are a few exceptions but you wont find them hanging on the walls of your local guitar dealer. Slim-bodied & full-depth guitars are designed for completely different purposes and should be perceived as completely different instruments.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-02 7:39 PM (#198023 - in reply to #198017)

The gentlemen above are all 100% correct, it would be best to try a shallow-bowl and mid-bowl beside each other and decide which meets your needs best. Although you didn't explicitly state it, it appears you may have another reason you want the shallow bowl guitar besides sound.....easier handling?

But...I'm surprised that you can get a Legend for $900....the new 6-string models I see seem to run around $1000 generally. You can also get a 1861 shallow-bowl Balladeer for under $900. I tried one a few days ago at my local Guitar Center and it was surprisingly good. However, I'm sure a Legend would be better if it fits within your budget.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-02 8:54 PM (#198024 - in reply to #198017)

I just bought an Ovation 1867 Legend with OP40 preamp. The reason I chose this guitar is that I will be playing it as much plugged in as not, so it fit my needs best. but I have to say it sounded pretty damn good unplugged to me. What sold me tho was the action, it plays like an electric with very little effort. I am hoping it sounds as good if not better plugged in, I didnt get that far without being sold. I paid 908. after taxes for a brand new one with the factory hardshell case
an43402
Posted 2004-01-03 10:45 AM (#198025 - in reply to #198017)

I throw my 2 cents in with Billy, the shallow bowl legend has its own sound, a bit on the thin side, but I like it, plus it has the advantage of being very comfortable. You really won't regret it. But I'm with Tim ... my next guitar will be an adamas, leaning towards the smt. Only $400 worth of stuff to sell on ebay!
burak
Posted 2004-01-05 1:55 AM (#198026 - in reply to #198017)

I think, the shallow bowls sound better than one would expect. If you only play plugged in, they'll be perfect. But if you play once a deep bowl acoustically, it's very hard to go back to smaller bowls IMHO. I love my legend deep bowl very much :)
Grizz Guitar
Posted 2004-02-17 10:10 PM (#198027 - in reply to #198017)

www.guitartrader.com has the Ovation Legend for $795, which http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ will price match. Just thought you would like to know. Good luck with your purchase. Let us know what you decide on.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-02-17 11:36 PM (#198028 - in reply to #198017)

Last Saturday, Guitar Center in La Mesa/San Diego had a new 1867 cherry burst marked down to $400. Picked it up - no damage. Probably without case. With the LX's out there, will probably see some nice discounting.
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-02-17 11:39 PM (#198029 - in reply to #198017)

I have a shallow bowl 1861 (Xmas 2002) and a mid depth 1778 Elite lx (only about a month Now).

The 1861 does not cover the lower register like the mid-depth lx, but I would say that the 1861 shallow bowl is clearly better than is often stated, is an excellent strummer, and is one the most comfortable guitars to play. For me it sits right on the hip and you can hold it close when you're playing (NO, I don't like it quite that much!). Now that I have the Lx (with a wider range of highs and lows in the unplugged sound), I've thought of selling the 1861 balladeer shallow bowl, but then I play it and it's a sweet guitar. See if you can get a chance to play both types in a store. I would compare American made solid tops to American made solid tops. I have Never heard one of the celebrity type (Korean made) shallow bowls where I have liked the unplugged sound. I never considered a shallow bowl until I played the American made balladeer. I'll say it again, the shallow bowl is as comfortable as any guitar I have ever played, and I think the unplugged sound quality is underrated by many on even these boards.
Lend27
Posted 2004-02-18 6:02 AM (#198030 - in reply to #198017)

Since I started this thread I thought I'd jump in and tell you what I ended up buying. I got a FRG 2003 Custom Legend in natural from forum member Paul Blanchard. It is one sweet guitar. And since I really don't have anything to compare it to, the super shallow bowl sounds really good to me unplugged. It just sounds awesome plugged in. I really couldn't be happier. Thanks again Paul :)

Len
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-18 7:28 AM (#198031 - in reply to #198017)

Great that you got your wish. Enjoy her!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)