The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Custom Legend 30th Anniversary

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Bailey
Posted 2004-01-08 1:33 AM (#197994 - in reply to #197969)
Subject: Re: Custom Legend 30th Anniversary

Al

You are the kind of guy that would bring a bottle of Jack Daniels to an AA meeting. How are we supposed to control our passions when we are faced with pictures like that.

Jush sen me a fifth of thash thshing in the mail, I'll shend my wife and houshe mortgage by overshnite posht, hic hic. Shorry, I jusht fell off of the thirshteen step after making it through all 12 previoushly and being fasced with a picshure of the demon flat top that started the whole downfall.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-01-08 6:58 AM (#197995 - in reply to #197969)

did I mention the guitar sounds as good as it looks?
alpep
Posted 2004-01-08 8:17 AM (#197996 - in reply to #197969)

Tony
I played the guitar for a short while before I boxed it up this morning. WOW!!!!

btw the tuner on the op pro is AWESOME.
I will be the first to admit that I never was a fan of the flashing LED tuner but this new one is easy to read and operate!!!
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-08 8:47 AM (#197997 - in reply to #197969)

Tony....very, very nice.
For Al to post the pic must be great in one way and pure hell in another.
Brad
Strummin12
Posted 2004-01-08 9:56 AM (#197998 - in reply to #197969)

Al,

Do they make a 12 string version of this guitar? I have to know!!!

I'm drooling!...if you have time shoot me a quote...even if it's ballpark. (6 & 12 string).

Thanks!

Be well,
Johnny
alpep
Posted 2004-01-08 10:31 AM (#197999 - in reply to #197969)

not sure on the 12
alpep
Posted 2004-01-08 11:08 AM (#198000 - in reply to #197969)

only available in 6 string
I also found out that there are 180 for the usa and 120 international.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-08 11:55 AM (#198001 - in reply to #197969)

For US...180 - 1 left and that is before NAMM...not going to last long when you consider how many Collectors they make available each year!

2004 electronics, full non-cutaway BROWN bowl! Classic style.

Snooze, you may lose...

Wish I could buy 2 or 3 for resale...projection that a dealer (so warranty would be valid) will be selling at full retail ($2,499) by summer, if any left.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-14 3:46 PM (#198002 - in reply to #197969)

Just got the CL 30th Anniv in today...it is absolutely gorgeous. Thanks Al and Ovation!

The 1158 slothead CL 12-str I got today is in great condition except...no problem with finish crack in upper left as disclosed. It is the undisclosed, VERY VISIBLE finish crack from halfway between the rosette and the bridge upwards diagonally to the inlaid (4 1/2 in.) We'll see what the seller wants to do - send back for full refund or refund $250 of the price. Possible that damage was done in the back of a UPS truck but the seller was paid for insurance. See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368161060&category=47064&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-14 4:07 PM (#198003 - in reply to #197969)

Yikes....I know you guys use e-bay all the time but sometimes I wonder. It seems that if the seller pointed out one flaw he would point out both. I hope it does not come down to a "he said, he said" situation.
That reminds me of a shipping question that I will ask in another thread.
Brad
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-14 4:51 PM (#198004 - in reply to #197969)

Tuner on the OP Pro...could see how that could really help on a stage. Can only compare with Optima but nice improvement. Even little arrows to show which direction to turn the tuning key. LED of the note.

Hey, I need all of the help I can get!
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-01-14 6:04 PM (#198005 - in reply to #197969)

Originally posted by Tony Calman:
For US...180 - 1 left and that is before NAMM...not going to last long when you consider how many Collectors they make available each year!

2004 electronics, full non-cutaway BROWN bowl! Classic style.

Snooze, you may lose...

Wish I could buy 2 or 3 for resale...projection that a dealer (so warranty would be valid) will be selling at full retail ($2,499) by summer, if any left.

The guitar looks beautiful from the pictures, no doubt. Congrats. However, as far as the pricing..... there are 2 on e-bay and one is selling for 1749.00.... still there almost a week later, while the other is at 1879.00... and is about to finish it's second selling session without a bid. Do you really believe they will sell at full retail ($2500)? The idea made me wonder.... what was that last ovation product limited edition, collector's, or regular edition where the street price was full retail, or close to full retail by dealers? Any Idea? Tony? AL?
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-14 7:18 PM (#198006 - in reply to #197969)

Hard to tell...but not as bad as picking lottery tickets.

The guitar is retro (brown bowl, centerhole, carved bridge, and quality of construction) in the tradition of prior CL's - yet new OP Pro, etc. Per Al, 180 for domestic market, 120 international. No 2004 Collectors when, per the Ovation site, there are approx 700-800 non Custom Legend, non center hole Collectors made each year. 2005 Collectors will probably continue the elite body line. No problem, but doubt it they will issue a 31st Anniv CL next year. Of course, would love to see an Anniversary 12-str CL slothead come out. Up to now, we had to buy used to get the guitar we wanted.

I have to believe that there are sufficient collectors out there that this will appeal to. I posted earlier that if I knew about custom order, I would have ordered a CL like this from Ovation back 12 mos ago. That would have cost me more than I paid for this one.

I have no idea if there is a strong international market that will take the 120 allotted and then request some of the domestic. Once the 300 is sold, I don't believe that they will be resold on eBay for some time...they'll disappear into someone's collection.

This is all before NAMM. The other two on eBay - I know that one was at the dealer but even that one was borrowed by the Ovation Rep for a couple of days. By the way, their prices are higher than Al's. I have to believe from all that took place over my order, a lot of guitar stores/dealers probably knew very little until the first offering by eBay by Oklahoma Vintage. At least, that listing was the first decent pictures. That information is probably not available until NAMM.

Summary - great new guitar and low numbers...would be surprised it demand isn't greater than supply once the word gets out.

If it never appreciates, heck I got a great guitar for a great price that I will keep...never intend to sell.
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-01-14 8:12 PM (#198007 - in reply to #197969)

Not to be a cynic, but ... if there's more demand than 300 units, the same guitar can be produced without the commemorative truss rod cover and there you go. Perhaps AAA spruce instead of bearclaw. If we come, they will build it.

Maybe some will disappear into collections, but it'll be at least 20 years before there's any interest that'll drive the price up. IMHO, there's nothing spectacular about this particular guitar that is going to make it worth substantially more than a stock CL, (especially as they roll the LX technology into the CL line). Look at the 25th anniversary guitar ... sterling silver inlays and all ... and you can get them on eBay for $500 when they come up. Ovation has made so many limited editions, commemoratives, anniversary, and collector guitars over the years. Quite frankly, none but the Book Elite have ever held more than 50% of their original price.

My point? Buy the guitar for all the right reasons. Buy it because you love it. You love the way it sings. You love the deep bowl sound. You love the quality craftsmanship, the hand-inlaid abalone. You love the way the neck feels in your hand.

I know Tony bought it because he's a CL afficienado, and for the right reasons. They are certainly worth the money if you're buying with your heart. But don't buy it as an investment ... a year or two from now you'll be able to get one on eBay for $1000. Buy it to play it and love it.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-14 8:51 PM (#198008 - in reply to #197969)

Yep, I did buy it for the right reasons...thank you. Beano just doesn't work for CL GAS!!

However, may be in the market for my first Adamas - the 6str slothead.

As to the future, who knows...it does have to be less cost than a custom CL. Already a 32% discount from list. Basically, the price is close to the price listed by the discounters for a new, non Anniversary CL.

We'll see how serious the prospective buyers are that keep saying truss rod cover, carved walnut bridge v. flat ebony, brown bowl, etc.

I was one of those guys...just was serious enough to buy it when Ovation listened. Hey Ovation, now how about the reissue of the slothead CL 12!!

Be interesting how the 6-str slothead Adamas sells. Also, whether they may be a 12-str slothead Adamas in the future. I can't see the future but a 12-str slothead would be nice.

What is interesting about this offering is that they are not numbering the guitars like the Collectors - there is a serial # stamped on the back (mine is 579515) but not #6 of 300. Not even a certificate as comes with the Collectors. On the Collectors, I have seen a number on the Collectors such as 305. Ovation site shows # of Collectors made for the specific year so you could say you had 305th of whatever they made. Guess they could make 450 instead of 300, doubt if they will.

Yes, confident that the new changes such as the electronics will roll over to the CL line and they are also updating the Al Di Meola line for 2004. Wonder how many CL's they actually sell each year. The CL 12-string is a 3 month wait, sounds like a custom job.

As we first saw good pictures of it on eBay, maybe eBay will be the main way the CL sells...doubt if the Guitar Center is going to put one on display in their stores.
zorjon
Posted 2004-01-15 12:06 PM (#198009 - in reply to #197969)

Hey Tony,

I agree I would love to see a CL 12 string re-issue. Who knows that may be the next one.

On that subject, how does the 1658 play? I know from a previous post that there is a carck issue, but overall hiw is it?

John
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-15 1:07 PM (#198010 - in reply to #197969)

The 1658 slothead is a wonderful guitar - near new except for the finish cracks. Kept the older strings on it due to the UPS claim but it plays and sounds great. Got a call into Kim at Ovation - may send back to Ovation to see what they can do as to the finish. At least, I need an estimate for UPS or the seller. Hopefully, I can either spend the insurance money on the repair or get the seller to reduce the sales price. Hanging next to the Anniv CL - a beautiful pair. Has more of the harpsichordic sound than the 1659 or 6759 that I have. Found this true with the slotheads as I used to have a 1658 and I also have a GC 12str. However, the 1658 has a little more bass than the GC but that could be the strings...we'll see. Compared to a Takamine mahogany 12 or the D-18 Martin that I had - no comparison, all of the Ovations that I have are superior.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-18 6:43 PM (#198011 - in reply to #197969)

On the CL 30th Anniv, specific bullet/note that nut is bone. Yet, went through Ovation's descriptions of guitars and didn't find any info on other models. Is this unusual? Nuts used in other US models also bone?
TRboy
Posted 2004-01-18 8:45 PM (#198012 - in reply to #197969)

Tony,

I beleive the CL is the only one with a bone nut (maybe Adamas and some collectors??) All others (below the CL) are made from a material they call "Tusq" (plastic or synthetic bone??).......

. . . .

Mike :cool:
alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 9:23 AM (#198013 - in reply to #197969)

hey tony
I am glad the guitar got to you safe and that you are enjoying it.
they are great.
btw. that guitar got a lot of interest at the namm show
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-20 9:49 AM (#198014 - in reply to #197969)

Yep, box had UPS scuffing but arrived well. Thanks for all of the help.

From the posts, sounding like even Paul T returned safely...not infering he returned well, with Air France, his luggage may be in Angola.

Now to see about the 12-str, UPS rep comes today to inspect. If UPS doesn't take responsibility, will probably demand refund from seller and return guitar...refinish top and shipping would add about $430 to the $760 price. Even if seller came down on price, it would become an expensive CL, even for a slothead.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-20 8:45 PM (#198015 - in reply to #197969)

It's really too bad that deal doesn't seem to be working out Tony, that sure is a beautiful guitar, even with cracks.

/\/\/
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-20 9:03 PM (#198016 - in reply to #197969)

Conc UPS and the 1658...UPS rep was here today for over an hour...checked out the guitar, box, and case in a room with 11 O's and a Martin staring down at him. Marine Corps Officer sword mounted on the wall. He appeared to recognize the damage due to impact/shock. Said there has to be a better way to ship a guitar. He agreed and said Taylor is working w/UPS to create a better shipping structure - sounded like what computer manus like Toshiba are doing for laptops - suspension. Won't know until near end of next week.

My demands are [1] UPS ship to Ovation for a refinish of top or [2] If UPS declines or comes in with less than amt - seller refunds part of sales price or [3] I ship back the guitar after receiving a full refund of payment.

Projected cost - approx $350 plus shipping.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)