The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LX Technology and influence

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

MWoody
Posted 2004-01-03 8:14 PM (#197933)
Subject: LX Technology and influence

As to the post on the release of the LX - it is exciting.I want to put out my questions now so that I can come back in a few months and wonder "what was I thinking?".

1) At this time "LX" is an option to the Elite series? Possibly later it may become the standard method.

2) Is there a definite improvement to the tone, sustain and longevity of the instrument by adding these processes?

3)Will there be Customer "custom" inlays in the future? I'm thinking some Lone Stars for Billy Blaze (your wife will be screamin your name if you don't take the garbage out son) or an image of our choosing.

4)Will the component structure of the O's get to the point where we could purchase and assemble our own custom axes?

Right now I'm enjoying my Korean Plywood with the same back, pearloids and electronics we all share(?). I think the forethought and the innovation of Ovation, et al is astounding. I put even the most basic roundback up against 95% of what's out there.

Oh, and Alpep - that's not aLeX with a drawl, it's the extended sustain and improved tone that does it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-04 10:13 AM (#197934 - in reply to #197933)
Subject: Re: LX Technology and influence

My opinions for answers to your questions:

1) My personal belief is that the LX version will be the standard version within 2-3 years. If it works and is better, it is too cost effective and beneficial to customer satisfaction to NOT do that. It would depend on how much more costly it is, and it doesn't strike me that it is that much. They probably need to do this to stay competitve with Martin, Taylor and Tacoma.

2) I don't have personal knowledge of this, but from the wiser heads on this board, I would believe that the tone and sustain are improved by the scalloped braces(more sound board flex), and the longevity is improved by the 5-piece neck(although the scalloped braces would hurt it a little).

3) There probably is custom inlay, etc., available now from Ovation. Find a good dealer like Al and get ready to open your wallet deep.

4) I doubt that Ovation would ever sell customers components to let them assemble a guitar....that is an invitation to disaster with your reputation if they are assembled badly! If your name is on a guitar, you want complete control over the quality of the unit!

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
zchord
Posted 2004-01-04 3:16 PM (#197935 - in reply to #197933)

I am considering a 1778T or 2003 Collectors. Is the LX that much better as to buy that instead? I like the OP-pro. But the T at $700 or the 03 at $999, maybe be a better deal. I know there is no "right" answer, just opening discussion.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-04 6:09 PM (#197936 - in reply to #197933)

I played with waiting 2 months or $400 longer to buy the 2003 Collector and chose to pick up a Celeb Dlx Limited (Taurus with the GT package?).

The Elite T wasn't what I needed.

then I signed on the OFC and got the benefit of the expert opinions.

Either way I say get as much as your wallet will let you NOW! You can then start working on your next giutar aquisition!
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-05 2:58 AM (#197937 - in reply to #197933)

In my ancient opinion the Elite T is a chance to get a GOOD sounding Ovation for a GOOD price, but you sacrifice some of the trim that collectors desire. If you are a musician looking for a good sounding guitar to play for a good price, the Elite T is GREAT. If you are a collector of PRETTY instruments to impress your girlfriend (who can't play shit), go ahead and buy the most expensive guitar you can find, she might like Martin's signiture "Courtney Love" model at $30,000 that will get you in her pants (her's, not Courtney's). Most pickers I know want a good guitar at a good price, the Elite T fits that bill.

Bailey
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-05 9:35 AM (#197938 - in reply to #197933)

Bailey, I think your observations are good. I've played a mid depth bowl Elite T (with new strings on it -- a rare find in a music store), and was blown away by the acoustic sound. It was great, and for somebody with a limited income, who wants a great guitar for performing and home, it soundly beats the snot out of anything in it's price range.

For me, the LX series grabs my imagination like nothing else and this year may mark the first and only time that I spend to have a guitar custom built for me, based upon the LX models. I'm willing to spend the money for a once in a lifetime guitar. But then, my needs and means are a little different than a 30 year old working guy who's just getting started. I don't have unlimited funds, at the end of the year, I'll be 50, and I intend to celebrate that number. I'll be a third of the way thru my life and want a guitar to take me thru the next 2/3's.

Also, I don't know if MWoody was asking this as a question, but the Elite LX's have the same X bracing pattern as the Legends and Balladeers. On the tv show Made In America, which had a tour of the Ovation factory, it showed an Elite LX top.
an4340
Posted 2004-01-05 12:46 PM (#197939 - in reply to #197933)

Here, in Brooklyn, that includes Williamsburg, two of my pro-musician friends have told me that the Elite T is "a good gigging guitar." Just thought I'd report that. Take care.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-05 9:06 PM (#197940 - in reply to #197933)

For me it came down to the affordability and my preference for the look of wood grain. The Elite T I fondled in the Ted Brown in Tacoma sounded and felt outstanding. I think it actually warmed up as I picked and strummed.

Get the Elite T if you don't mind (or look forward to)explaining to others how the thinner finish enhances the tone and sustain and that this is a blend of modern tech and craftsmanship!

Could be you'll see how the guy that brought one of the first roundbacks to a jam session felt.

I need to come up with some kind of business excuse for buying more guitars. I can see an Elite T in my future. Elite T LX maybe? :eek:
shar
Posted 2004-01-06 9:25 PM (#197941 - in reply to #197933)

A slothead Adamas with LX bracing pattern would be cool.
sean
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-07 2:33 AM (#197942 - in reply to #197933)

In this theme

I, like Paul M, am totallly impressed with the revelations coming out of the "skonk works". This may be my year to buy a NEW Ovation. My only hope is some news on 12 strings that hasn't surfaced yet. So far I'm impressed.

Bailey

How about a J Lo model???
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-07 5:41 AM (#197943 - in reply to #197933)

Bailey, would that model have a larger-than-usual lower portion for more bass?????

Couldn't resist....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON - 1986 Glen Campbell 12-string
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-07 6:56 AM (#197944 - in reply to #197933)

I am very impressed with my Elite 1778T & feel it has a lot of bang for the buck. It is also so affordable that you could buy a "looker" as well.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-07 9:24 AM (#197945 - in reply to #197933)

Peterbright,
Does your Elite have the textured top?
Brad
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)