The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New Member New Ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

WFM32
Posted 2004-01-05 1:19 PM (#197858)
Subject: New Member New Ovation

Hey Everyone
I am a new member and new to Ovation. My wife did really well this Christmas; she got an Elite Shallow Bowl for me. I love the guitar but sad to say, I have become a deep bowl over the years, if I don’t use a towel or something rolled under the top edge I am soon trying to play my guitar like a Dobro! Sooooo my question is it possible to add strap button on the bottom of the neck or on the bowl below the neck to help control the rolling of the guitar? Anyone have any suggestions besides losing fifty pounds would be appreciated. :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-05 1:57 PM (#197859 - in reply to #197858)
Subject: Re: New Member New Ovation

Great Xmas present. I wonder...can a strap button be placed where the screw for the access hole is on the back?
seesquare
Posted 2004-01-05 2:14 PM (#197860 - in reply to #197858)

Hmmmmmmm......I'm not sure the port screw would help so much. I've seen many guitars with a strap button below the neck, so that's not a novel concept, at all.
Now, affixing a button, about where the audio output jack is located might help a bit. Just depends if you want to muck around with a pristine instrument, I guess.
Mein zwei pfennig,
Chris
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-05 2:19 PM (#197861 - in reply to #197858)

I sporting a beer belly myself have wondered how mine is going to move,.. I plan to mostly play mine standing up tho so dont think its gonna bother me too much
zchord
Posted 2004-01-05 2:27 PM (#197862 - in reply to #197858)

I once thought maybe placing an even rougher or somewhat tacky tapelike substance right over that little rough area already on the guitar might help. What I wanted to use was some dense, adhesive backed rubbery foam material aout 1/4" thick. Its somewhat tacky yet not sticky or rough, like sandpaper. I can't get this material anymore though, so I will be on the lookout once I get my next Ovation.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-05 2:35 PM (#197863 - in reply to #197858)

The best thing to use is actually velcro. Get the 1 inch wide velcro that has double faced adhesive on the back of both halves (available in Home Depot). Cut a piece about 8 inches long. Throw away the soft hairy half. Stick the harder (loops?) half to the edge of the bowl where the guitar rests on your knee, i.e. where Ovation used to put the old rubber strip. Works perfectly and can be easily removed without blemishing the guitar. Dave
alpep
Posted 2004-01-05 2:42 PM (#197864 - in reply to #197858)

a cheap and easy solution is to drive 3-6 dry wall screws half way into the body of the guitar where it rests on your knee. This will give you a perfect non skid surface.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-05 7:43 PM (#197865 - in reply to #197858)

I get a kick out of this thread every time it comes up because to me a BOX is harder to hold than an Ovation. This is just one of the pics I took below, and the rest are in my Gallery under Sitting Ovation.

I just don't get the fuss. I have a gut, and this deep bowl Adamas barely touches my tummy let alone "slides off" like so many people tell me. In fact, I do not see how to "stand" and play an Ovation which seems to be many peoples solution as then it has to rest on the beer... er I mean stomach and certainly won't stay in place..

I think Ovations are the most ergonomic guitars on the planet. See how it conforms to the way I'm reaching around to play instead of cutting into my chest like a box would? And the guitar is at a 90 degree angle from the floor.

MWoody
Posted 2004-01-05 9:14 PM (#197866 - in reply to #197858)

Left leg position.

Wear the strap.

Lose the satin pajamas.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-05 9:53 PM (#197867 - in reply to #197858)

MWoody that's funny.. I actually use the left leg position most of the time, but just because of habit. I took these photos (actually Lisa took them) cause I hear all the time "it slides off" and I can't figure it out. I mean obviously I can MAKE is slide off, but just naturally it doesn't want to.

Just one of those things I guess... Of all the odd things I hear about why one should not or does not own an Ovation, I always thought the "it rolls off my leg" was the lamest.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-05 9:59 PM (#197868 - in reply to #197858)

Looking at the picture, I think that some people bring the guitar closer to them than that and that may be part of the problem. I USED to, but I found I needed it farther away for comfortable neck reach for my left hand, especially when using a capo.

Also, part of the problem may be that some players tilt the guitar towards them so they can see the frets better. Close and tilted may tend to cause a sliding problem.

I myself have never had a problem with any of my roundbacks wanting to slide off. Been comfortable with it ever since I got my Applause back in 1977.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON - 1986 Glen Campbell 12-string
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-01-05 10:07 PM (#197869 - in reply to #197858)

One of my O's has a volume knob where the strap button normally resides, so the strap button is on the bowl under the neck. This was a factory setup. So I guess it's possible, but would be more of a challenge if you have a cutaway.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-05 10:36 PM (#197870 - in reply to #197858)

Roger is right. Close and tilting causes problems. Or when I'm laying down and it's on top of me (yes, I play in bed at times).

But when I'm playing sitting down, it's right where Miles has his in the picture, and there are no problems. And if I'm standing up and using a strap, again, no problems.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-01-05 10:51 PM (#197871 - in reply to #197858)

One thing I have always liked about Ovation guitars is how well they work for me either sitting or standing. I like when I am standing how I can tilt the guitar a little. When I stand with a standard wood back guitar, it feels quite strage to me. I can't tilt that guitar, and I want to put my Ovation back on. When I am sitting and playing it is the same thing. I like that I can tilt the guitar. I have never had a problem of the guitar sliding of my lap and I have almost all deep bowl Ovations. Now one thing that is kind of a problem is the strap buttom location on my old Custom Legend. It has the volume/tone concentric knob around where the strap button is now on newer Ovations. The strap button is on the other side of the heel of the neck. Since the strap has to go across the neck to get to the button, the guitar tries to tilt the other way from how it would normally be while I am playing it. It is no big deal, but it did take some getting use to.
WFM32
Posted 2004-01-06 5:09 PM (#197872 - in reply to #197858)

Hey Everybody

Thanks for the input, but I should have been more specific. I have a bum shoulder and play a banjo or Guitar with a strap on whether I am standing or sitting. I position the guitar or banjo fairly high, with the center of the guitar is where your chest and stomach meet. I don’t have this problem my wife’s Martin or my banjo, but they both have the strap below the neck, this causes the top to roll out, and when I play them the pull back into an upright position. I don’t tip them back to see the frets and I don’t intentionally tip back my Ovation.

Thanks again for the input

Bill
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-06 9:12 PM (#197873 - in reply to #197858)

Hey Bill!....just noticed your town....I'm originally from central Illinois myself, from the town of Windsor, a little ways east of you....I was there nearby in Tower Hill a long week ago visiting a high school friend of mine. In fact, we ate dinner in Pana.

Anyway, greetings! Wish I could still live there. Instead I'm here in Detroit making a living with a car company.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
COMING SOON - 1986 Glen Campbell 12-string
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)