The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Wireless Guitar Systems

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-12 1:36 PM (#197434)
Subject: Wireless Guitar Systems

Anybody have experience with wireless systems? I've been considering this route and Musician's Friend has systems ranging from Nady $80 to Shure $370
And there is a Audio Technica 200 on ebay right now with no reserve and a $00.01 bid....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-12 1:56 PM (#197435 - in reply to #197434)
Subject: Re: Wireless Guitar Systems

Paul its been my experience that with wireless systems you get what you pay for. I would go with a sure, sennheiser or a top name brand
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-12 3:51 PM (#197436 - in reply to #197434)

Reply to get back on the "recent" list....
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-12 4:09 PM (#197437 - in reply to #197434)

What Blaze said. In the $100-$500 range they are pretty much all the same. Having said that, I have found the Nady units historically to be the best. I don't know if this is still true. I have an XL201 and it sounds great with good coverage. It's not a $1000 pro rig, but it gets the job done nicely.
playadamas
Posted 2004-01-12 4:39 PM (#197438 - in reply to #197434)

Just my personal experience: Nady is terrible ($250); Shure (with body pack $300) works great, no noise, no dead spot; Samson Airline (no body pack $300) works great except for a tiny bit of delay.
The Shure is probably better than the Samson, but the body pack is kind of a pain sometimes. I don't use the Shure anymore, just leave it sitting in the box.
I am thinking of trying the AT because the plug fits both LP and Strat style whereas the Samson is either but not both.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-01-12 6:02 PM (#197439 - in reply to #197434)

Just offering another perspective here. I know tons of players with expensive wireless systems who stand rigid on tiny stages, and I have to ask myself, apart from the "hey I'm a rock star 'cos I've got a wireless" thing, what does it achieve that a high-quality cord doesn't do better in those circumstances? Unless you have a bunch of stadium dates lined-up ask yourself if you really need a wireless system before you invest. If you decide you must have one buy a dual-diversity system and pay as much as you can afford. Cheap single-antennae wireless systems sound cheap and are nothing but hassle. If you need further evidence watch the last 15 minutes of "Spinal Tap"
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-13 10:58 AM (#197440 - in reply to #197434)

Thanks for the replies. I need to go back and watch Spinal Tap - it's been to long. At least to catch The Folksmen....
:D
I think I'll save my money for another GAS attack, I can really use a 12-string!

Only reason I was considering wireless was that during our sets I switch from Acoustic guitar, mandolin, bass, and electric guitar depending on the song. We used to pass the Ibanez bass around, but I've taken to playing the Viper bass and likeing it, which adds another cord. Thing is I'm standing on and/or unravelling all kinds of cords!

It works without shelling out the bucks for a wireles system.....
alpep
Posted 2004-01-13 11:19 AM (#197441 - in reply to #197434)

buy a decent 20ft' cable
BruDeV
Posted 2004-01-13 10:27 PM (#197442 - in reply to #197434)

- Paul Wag

Have you thought about using a patch-bay?

Just put the patch-bay in a convenent place, then run cords to the various pieces of equipment. That way you've only got to plug into the right spot on the patch-bay to change amps/effects/pa's etc.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-13 10:52 PM (#197443 - in reply to #197434)

"I know tons of players with expensive wireless systems who stand rigid on tiny stages" Yeah I wondered about that too.

For multiple guitars and other instruments I ran them through so I just had to pick them up and bring up the volume on the axe, or sometimes I used a switcher. I'm playing solidbodies so some might not like having a mixer or switch inline. At our volumes, it didn't matter.

A chord is best if you can use one. I use a wireless headset as I used to sometimes wonder off when I wasn't singing, and be too far from a mic when I needed to be.

The only time I've used a wireless in smaller venues is when we were a lead-on act when every piece of equipment less is a good thing because you maybe get 5 minutes to load and unload the stage and you don't want some ape tripping over a cable. Also, a house may want the amps setup in a certain place where it's just not feasible to rearrange to with a cable. Most festivals and such I have seen a 25ft cable wont reach the backline and still be on the floor.

In larger venues, as long as you show the soundman you know what you are doing, wireless are real nice for switching guitars as you can drop into standby usually and switch the jack without sending the stage soundman to the hospital with bloody ears.

I had heard Nady had really changed in recent years and wa warned to stay away. They used to be the standard, but like many other things... I hear they are no longer and Sony and such have passed them by.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)