The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar Store Review - NYC

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

an4340
Posted 2004-01-12 3:01 PM (#197409)
Subject: Guitar Store Review - NYC

I checked out the new guitar center on 14th street, near Union Square. It's really big, and designed, obviously, as a store to sell guitars versus, the stores on 48th street which grew like Topsy. Anyhow, on my way to the acoustic section in the back, I passed by their selection of electrics. I only looked at the Fenders, but it seemed like they had the complete line. I made it to the "acoustic room" and met a salesman named Robert. Unlike the salesmen at 48th street who monitored me as if I was a potential thief, instead of a potential customer, Robert was polite and helpful. I mentioned that it was my first time and he explained their policy is to let you to play the guitar without pressure. I was interested in the CVT, which he took down from the top for me and as he handed it to me he pointed out what a great guitar it is, and how underrated ovations are! Man that was pleasant. I played for a while in the main acoustic room, then asked to go into one of the quiet rooms with an amp. The CVT was as good as the one I tried last summer in Hong Kong at Tommy Lee's in tsar sim chewi (sp). The quality control at ovation is excellent, if you can pick up the same model in different parts of the globe and have it sounding great in both places. As a comparison, I found with takamines they can be uneven, which is curious because I thought Kaman also owned them. Obviously a different factory. Now, the other guitar I'm looking at was the SMT. I have a theory that for rhythym playing the SMT may be better because there's more wood in the top. Wanted to explore this with a side by side comparison. Gave the guitar back to another saleman and asked for the SMT. They had none in stock. Then I looked up at the ovation wall. About half were celebrities. Of the USA made, they had an example of each model, the legend, balladeer, the special versions of those, the ever popular 1778T, the Elite Collectors, two twelve strings (I think it was the Melissa model) ... no customs though and no SMT. I asked if any were coming in, and was told that they were getting a shipment. Ah that elusive shippment, it's a bit like being told you shoulda been here last week the (fill in your favorite activity) was excellent man. So if anyone from the factory reads this, can you slip an SMT and a custom legend into the shipment? Just thought I'd ask. It seems a shame that the best selection of ovations I've seen should be in a store in Hong Kong, and at what Guitar Center is trying to be, a premiere store in New York, should have an inadequate selection. The prices seemed to be about Musician Friend level, though I didn't really scrutinize them. They had tons of other guitars. All in all it's a cut above 48th street stores and it was a pleasant experience. It's worth a stop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-01-12 3:19 PM (#197410 - in reply to #197409)
Subject: Re: Guitar Store Review - NYC

4340;

Is it right ON 14th St. directly across from Union Square Park?
an4340
Posted 2004-01-12 3:37 PM (#197411 - in reply to #197409)

It's between 5th and 6th(aka Avenue of the Americas) on 14th street, on the North Side. Union Square is bounded by Broadway and Madison (I think) Lot's of Subways stop at union square, and you just walk about 1.5 blocks west. I think the PATH train stops at 14th street but that's west of the store.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-12 3:50 PM (#197412 - in reply to #197409)

It's just west of Union Sq. on 14th St. I also found Manny's not very inviting for the potential buyer. But at Sam Ash I thought they were great. They guy left me alone in the acoustic room to play whatever I wanted. When I did have some questions he seemed to know his stuff about Ovations, other than saying that the ME models were designed for woman. I'm sure GC will do an outstanding business in that location. The guys in midtown must be shitting their pants. Dave
cliff
Posted 2004-01-12 3:58 PM (#197413 - in reply to #197409)

Okay, so it's ADJACENT to UnionSquare.
Now that makes sense!
UnionSquare is bordered by Bdwy. and Park Ave on 2 sides and 14th & 17th on the others. I was trying to picture where ON the Square it might be but wasn't getting it. Got it now. Thx!
cliff
Posted 2004-01-12 4:00 PM (#197414 - in reply to #197409)

Dave, were you out here recently??
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-12 4:00 PM (#197415 - in reply to #197409)

I haven't seen it myself (was not there when I last visited in October). But my son goes to college in that neighborhood and that's where he said it is. Dave
cliff
Posted 2004-01-12 4:02 PM (#197416 - in reply to #197409)

NYU or Baruch?
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-12 6:06 PM (#197417 - in reply to #197409)

Soph. at NYU. And you thought collecting Ovations was expensive? Pretty good guitar player, too. He wanted a "bang around" acoustic guitar for school, so he got a Baby-Taylor. It damn near killed me to see him play a box, but I have to admit it's a very nice guitar for the money. The inlaid screw heads at the 16th fret are especially attractive. Dave
Beal
Posted 2004-01-12 8:05 PM (#197418 - in reply to #197409)

Big News Here on Amelia Island!!!
The cd store that sold some strings has closed down so now you have to go down town to the cigar store and he's got his back room set up selling guitars, stands and a bunck of strings, cases.
This is just wonderful! Now I don't have to drive to Jax to get strings or other supplies. Go to the cigar store, pick out a nice Fuente, fire it up, sit and talk with Mike the owner and decide what guage string to buy today. Bring a guitar and you can smoke and play all day.
Come to the Island, life is gooood!
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-13 1:26 AM (#197419 - in reply to #197409)

cwk-2

Just a warning, when I lived in San Diego they opened a mexican restaurant in Del Mar that had excellent food and we used to go there for lunch as it was close to work. Some idiot told the newspaper about it and suddenly we couldn't even get in without a reservation. Once the novelty wore off it closed as us regulars had written it off and the thrill seekers went on to the next fad restaurant. Don't reveal too much about a good thing.

Bailey (I told my friends and they are flying there to experience what you described, they have formed a tourist group of 300 retirees and should be there tomorrow)
Beal
Posted 2004-01-13 7:47 AM (#197420 - in reply to #197409)

Bailey, That's good news, they'll fit right in with the other 400 retirees that are here now from Canada and Minnisota. They're the ones on the golf course in shorts and the only ones on the beach.
cliff
Posted 2004-01-13 8:39 AM (#197421 - in reply to #197409)

Bill;

If you tell me that this cigar/guitar shop is next to "Ted's", I'll start (re)packing the Cruiser! (Of course, I'll be making the trip alone, Jeanette doesn't wanna go NEAR my car for quite some time! :-)
an4340
Posted 2004-01-13 1:52 PM (#197422 - in reply to #197409)

I contacted guitar center, to see if they could stock an smt. We'll see what happens.
Beal
Posted 2004-01-13 7:38 PM (#197423 - in reply to #197409)

It's only 20 miles from Ted's. I wish I'd kn own you liked cigars, we could have burned some cubans on the mountain.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-14 1:51 AM (#197424 - in reply to #197409)

Originally posted by Bailey:
cwk-2

Just a warning, when I lived in San Diego they opened a mexican restaurant in Del Mar that had excellent food and we used to go there for lunch as it was close to work. Some idiot told the newspaper about it and suddenly we couldn't even get in without a reservation. Once the novelty wore off it closed as us regulars had written it off and the thrill seekers went on to the next fad restaurant. Don't reveal too much about a good thing.

Bailey

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Yogi?
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-14 2:11 AM (#197425 - in reply to #197409)

As Yogi would say about that quote:

"Well if it wasn't me, I'm sure I said it anyway."
cliff
Posted 2004-01-14 9:06 AM (#197426 - in reply to #197409)

". . . we could have burned some Cubans on the mountain . . ."

Yeah, but wouldn't your neighbors've complained about all the screaming?
Beal
Posted 2004-01-14 5:15 PM (#197427 - in reply to #197409)

No, He's a lawyer, he'd just think it was his clients.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)