The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
one darn nut slot

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-01-14 10:30 PM (#197221)
Subject: one darn nut slot

I have a Balladeer here with a problem I am trying to fix. The nut on the guitar was cut very low for each string. It plays great, but the D string buzzes slighty when played open. If you fret the string at the first fret, everthing is fine, it is only when the string is open. I noticed that it does not really do this when you use a pick, only when you finger pick. Is there away to raise the D string up a little at this nut slot without having to replace the whole nut? It is just a slight buzz, and I hope to keep the nut it has now. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bluebird
Posted 2004-01-14 10:46 PM (#197222 - in reply to #197221)
Subject: Re: one darn nut slot

Paul, try cutting a sliver of guitar pick and laying that in the slot. It's a stop-gap measure(no pun intended) but it'll work until you decide to change the nut.

Wayne
Nils
Posted 2004-01-15 2:24 AM (#197223 - in reply to #197221)

I'm no luthier, but if it was mine I'd buy a set of cheapo needle files out of a bargain bin (if I didn't already have some). Then I'd clean the slot with alcohol & make a mental note of the shape of the slot, scuff the bottom a little with a needle file for adhesion, put a piece of masking tape on eash side for a dam, & smooth a little dab of JB Weld in the bottom of the slot with a toothpick & let it dry over night. After the JB Weld was dry I'd use the file to re-contour the bottom of the slot & diddle with it till it suited me. The (gray) JB Weld will be hidden by the string almost entirely. JB Weld is good stuff, should be a permanent fix.
But like I said, I'm no luthier.

/\/\/
xnoel
Posted 2004-01-15 8:10 AM (#197224 - in reply to #197221)

Paul,
Could you try to change you finger picking technique a little? When a pick is used the movement of the string is pretty much lateral across the top of the frets. Finger picking seems to cause some up and down movememt, thus causing the string to buzz. You might experiment with trying to pick the string in a way that eliminates this up and down movement.

I would be a little leery of tampering with the nut anymore than it already has been. There are worse things than one string buzzing on one fret.

Noel
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-01-15 11:19 AM (#197225 - in reply to #197221)

My tech has a technique for filling low slots using a bit of bone dust mixed with super glue. It takes him no more than five minutes to raise the height and refile it. It is both simpler and cheaper than a new nut.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)