The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
What was the first tune?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Leafy
Posted 2004-01-20 4:00 PM (#197005 - in reply to #196980)
Subject: Re: What was the first tune?

I'm afraid my memory doesn't go back as far as most of the people here.
The first song I learned was "Come As You Are" by Nirvana. I got my mom's acoustic guitar out of the closet and just practiced it till 4 am in the morning. 'Been playing ever since that day.

One of the songs I'd really like to learn is an acoustic piece by Zakk Wylde, Speedball.
It's just plain fast and uses a few country techniques (chicken pickin'). It's got a real classical feel to it, I guess that's what has me gravitate towards it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-20 5:37 PM (#197006 - in reply to #196980)

First song was "House of the Rising Sun"...
Am working on "Wish You Were Here" now...
Always seem to be "working" on something though...

Dale
viking
Posted 2004-01-20 5:40 PM (#197007 - in reply to #196980)

Duane Eddy and Rebel Rouser was the song I had to learn it was so cool. My father had a Blind
buddy that could play the guitar really well and
he show me how to play the song it took weeks. Iam
a slow learner but I got it. Never really did much else. Stopped playing until last year,funny I could still play part of the song.It's still cool.

Now I am working on Ghost Riders in the Sky
and it's getting there
Bailey
Posted 2004-01-21 2:14 AM (#197008 - in reply to #196980)

The song I most enjoyed learning to play was "Tennesee Stud" as done by Doc Watson. Sometime in the 70's Doc came to San Diego State and me and the guys I was playing with went to see him. Now this is where reality fades, we were partying somewhere and had our instruments and the guitar player Steve (son of Bill who owned the music store) and I ended up on a San Diego City bus with our instruments (mandolin and guitar) headed for another party somewhere and we sat on that bus and worked out that song and it just came out perfect in our dazed state of party going. The bus passengers liked it and so did we, the reason I say strange is because I had at least 2 cars and I can't remember why we were on a city bus. I've played it since but my son dropped it from from our repertoire (dirty French word). I've never gotten "Soldier's Joy" to come out right even though at the San Diego Folk Festivals they would have groups of jammers playing that one song for 18 hours straight.

Bailey
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-21 6:46 AM (#197009 - in reply to #196980)

Let's see ... my first time was back in 1974. Pretty cute girl ... OOOPs! I mis-read the question. I thought you were asking "what was my first TIME"? OK, now I've got it - what was my first TUNE? Well, I had a Kay acoustic in the mid 60's but I really don't recall what my first song was. But I do know that in 1967 I got an electric guitar and small amp (some no-name thing). The amp had a tremolo effect and I became pretty damn good at the intro to "Listen People" by Hermans Hermits. Dave
caitly
Posted 2004-01-21 6:47 AM (#197010 - in reply to #196980)

Dave van Ronk's "Cocaine" and Phil Ochs' "Changes" inspired me to get hold of a guitar. I spent considerable time twisted up with the D chord and the fiendish F and whatever song snippets Mel Bay suggested.

But those are the tunes I fondly remember.

Tom
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)