The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
What was the first tune?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-19 12:41 PM (#196980)
Subject: What was the first tune?

This is really a two part question.

1. What was the first real tune you learned to play. Not the "On Top Of Old Smokey" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" from the Mel Bay books, but the first tune you learned because you just wanted to play it, and you were so proud of yourself because you did?

2. What is a tune that you would like to learn, but just haven't? Maybe it's just really difficult, or uses some technique you haven't mastered yet. Just a tune when you hear it you think "I should really learn to play that."

First song I learned to play was "House Of The Rising Sun."

Song that I tryed many times, but just can't sell to my fingers and ears. "Sultans of Swing"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2004-01-19 1:01 PM (#196981 - in reply to #196980)
Subject: Re: What was the first tune?

My first was "Little Black Egg". A....E....D...with that little lead riff.
FLASHBACK!!
I don't care what they say
I'm gonna keep it anyway
I won't let them stretch their necks
To see my little black egg with the little white specs.
(big F#-minor break!!!)
I found it in a tree
Just the other day
And now it's mine, all mine
They won't take it away
They just don't write em like that anymore.
I would love to play something as jazzy as Sultans of Swing. I haven't even attempted it.
Brad
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-19 1:09 PM (#196982 - in reply to #196980)

I don't believe "Little Black Egg" was mentioned by someone else. First hammer on & I didn't even know that's what it was! Actually LBE came after "Outer Limits" for me.

I'd really like to play "Candle in the Wind" well.
Norseman1
Posted 2004-01-19 1:12 PM (#196983 - in reply to #196980)

House of the Rising Sun was the first "cool" song I learned. When I was like 9 or so, I learned "I Walk The Line" with that distinctive Johnny cash beat, Gene Autrey's "Back in the Saddle Again", and Hank Williams "Cheatin Heart".

I did a Johnny Cash tribute (Johnny's version of "He Turned The Water Into Wine") at a contemporary service (A/G). I thought the older folk would enjoy it, but to my surprise, it was the teenagers that really got into it.

I guess some music transends. Thank you Johnny.

Norse(always room in the CD collection for Johnny Cash)man1
cliff
Posted 2004-01-19 1:28 PM (#196984 - in reply to #196980)

I can remember the first full-fledged "book" that I ever bought (other than one instructional) was the book for Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" album.
Still have it.
Back then, a Piano/Vocal/Guitar book for the entire triple album was around $5.95!!

I think probably the first song that I was ever able to play all the way through and see as some type of accomplishment was Neil Young's "Needle and The Damage Done".

As far as a song I always to learn, the first to come to mind (oddly enough) is "Blackbird". I know, I know! it's in just about EVERY "Learn Guitar" book!! But for some reason I just never sat down and made the concerted effort to LEARN it!!

To this day, I STILL get people at gigs who request ". . oh, you MUST know "Blackbird", right? . . ." and I have to sheepishly admit that I don't. :rolleyes:
Jeff
Posted 2004-01-19 2:12 PM (#196985 - in reply to #196980)

The first song I ever learned to play was "Gentle On My Mind." I got my first guitar in 1968, and Glen Campbell was the (then) hot new guitarist on TV. I was so captivated by the way he played, that I would sit in front of the TV with my guitar and try to cop what I could by studying his hands. Since he always opened his show with GOMM, I got a weekly lesson on that one song!

As for what I'd like to play, there's not really a particular song I'm out to nail, but after years of playing primarily rock, blues, and country, I would really like--and am trying--to develop some decent jazz chops.

Jeff
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-19 2:13 PM (#196986 - in reply to #196980)

Tough to pin down but what stands out as "firsts" are Helplessly Hoping - CSN, Sad Lisa - Cat Stephens and Tequila sunrise - Eagles.

I know that Horse with no Name doesn't count.

I would like to play "Holy is is the Lord" by Andrew Peterson off of the City on a Hill; The Gathering. I have been practicing songs from "Love and Thunder".

ATTENTION NANCY WILSON IF YOU READ THIS BOARD!!!
Please teach me the intro to Dreamboat Annie like it was done in "Live at the Aquarious" on the KZOK recording? I would be soooooo greatful.
TRboy
Posted 2004-01-19 3:02 PM (#196987 - in reply to #196980)

When I started playing (mid to late '60's) it was the prerequisite "House of the Rising Sun" plus alot of Ventures ("Walk Don't Run","Pipeline" etc.)
. . . .
What I would like to learn (but like Miles I just can't get the ole digits to comply) would be "Oklahoma Borderline" by Vince Gill (as preformed by Vince on A&E's "Live By Request")
Whole lot of smooth runs up and down the neck (Vintage Telecaster) with just the right amount of "chicken pickin" thrown in!!
. . . .

Mike :cool:
Jeff
Posted 2004-01-19 3:48 PM (#196988 - in reply to #196980)

Mike,

You really jogged my memory there on a couple of things.

First, you reminded that "Walk Don't Run" was the first instrumental I ever learned to play (I said "Gentle On My Mind" in my post, as that was the first song I learned to play AND sing). Also, I remember that Vince Gill "Live By Request" performance. That was the night I discovered he could really pick! Boy, he smoked on that song!!!

Jeff
TRboy
Posted 2004-01-19 5:12 PM (#196989 - in reply to #196980)

Jeff,

Glad I jogged some memories!!!
I've still got several Ventures records (stashed somewhere) that I learned to play by! I think I may even have the one where they show you the lead and bass line to some of their songs but mostly I learned by ear (and setting the needle back to hear the run again) since I found out early that I can't carry a tune in a bucket I concentrated alot on Venture instrumentals :D
Vince Gill is the second best guitar picker after Glen Campbell (of course) He not only "smoked" that song....HE TORE IT UP!!!
btw - If anyone has a copy of Vince's "Live By Request" please email me!!(I have money and I ain't afraid to use it!! :eek: ) The Vince Gill "Live By Request" was A&E's most popular and highest rated of all the LBR but if you go to their website:
http://www.livebyrequestdvd.com/
all you can find on DVD is Tony Bennett,Johnny Mathis,etc........go figure :(

Mike :cool:
Paul Wag
Posted 2004-01-19 5:12 PM (#196990 - in reply to #196980)

First song I learned at guitar lessons: Ruby Don't Take Your Love to Town by Kris Kristofferson (as posted in the other thread)
Song I'd like to learn:Police Dog Blues by Blind Blake.
A song I cane to love from Jormna Kaoukonen's Quah album. I found a detailed tab for it, open E tuning, practice, practice practice....

What got me back to this song was seeing The Waybacks at the Kerrville Folk Festival, bought the last CD ]Burger After Church they had for sale that night. If you like acoustic music, check these guys out, they are great musicians and funny to boot! Great entertainment!

The Waybacks
willard
Posted 2004-01-19 6:01 PM (#196991 - in reply to #196980)

Probably the very first thing I learned, even before I got my Harmony, was Hey Joe. After I started playing my own guitar, I moved into more complicated things like Blowin'In The Wind and Kum By Ya.

There are lots of songs that have come and gone thru the years (never did learn Stairway to Heaven) but right now I would like to be able to play Prodigal Me by Shane Barnard and Shane Everett but I'm afraid my fingers have been too close to frost bite too many times to get very fancy anymore.
secondroy
Posted 2004-01-19 6:52 PM (#196992 - in reply to #196980)

I have to go back to the fifties to find my first. Specifically around 1954 maybe 1955 though I first started guitar in 1953. I think it was one of Elvis' songs probably "Heartbreak Hotel." It was either that or "Cheating Heart."

I'm working on a lot of fingerpicking stuff now and if I can just get through one of Stefan Grossman's books I'll be happy.
45flint
Posted 2004-01-19 7:48 PM (#196993 - in reply to #196980)

The first song I learned that really made me feel I had arrive was "Here Comes the Sun" by George Harrison because I was so close to the record.

The song I love and will never be able to play is All Along the Watchtower by Hendricks not Dylan.

Steve Kitchen
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-19 8:08 PM (#196994 - in reply to #196980)

MWoody, you need the Nancy Wilson "Starlicks Sessions" instructional video....she shows how to do "Dreamboat Annie" on there.....not that I can DO it..... :)

The first song I can remember learning is the Beatles' "Run For Your Life". Not that I remember it NOW....seem to remember a bunch of G and Em.....

The song that I would like to nail is "House At Pooh Corner" by Kenny Loggins.....been a buncha' frustration to this point....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
Beal
Posted 2004-01-19 9:09 PM (#196995 - in reply to #196980)

First song was house of the rising sun. Second was some of the Beatles tunes out of the fake books.
What I'd like to get down is that Heart tune and I don't really care about the tune, just the intro, you know the one. If there's a second on the wish list it's The Water is Wide, the way Ed Gerhart does it.
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-19 9:29 PM (#196996 - in reply to #196980)

I'm holding out for lesson's from Nancy Wilson...
alpep
Posted 2004-01-19 10:11 PM (#196997 - in reply to #196980)

wendy by the association

there are so many I would love to learn I just can't list them all
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-01-19 10:18 PM (#196998 - in reply to #196980)

First song I learned on a friend's guitar was Venus ... Shocking Blue not Frankie Avalon. :) Once I got my own guitar, it was Wild World by Cat Stevens.

The song I'd like to learn when I either have an epiphany or get a left hand transplant ... the lead part to Aqualung.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-01-19 11:57 PM (#196999 - in reply to #196980)

cwk2, we have similar tastes.. it's the intro to "Crazy On Ya"
Catfish
Posted 2004-01-20 5:39 AM (#197000 - in reply to #196980)

First song had to be "Louie Louie". Still a classic!
Bradley
Posted 2004-01-20 6:47 AM (#197001 - in reply to #196980)

First song - Donovan's Catch the Wind (had a crush on a girl at the time).

Right now I'm trying to re-learn guitar. I bought a Paul Simon finger picking songbook and am working on Feeling Groovy.

Bradley
an4340
Posted 2004-01-20 8:58 AM (#197002 - in reply to #196980)

Let's see, first song of artistic merit ...
that's a long time ago, but it was either the blues tune, Going Down This Road Feeling Bad (I had heard a grateful dead version) and Mama Doin' 'low no guitar pickin' 'round here (Bluegrass of course!)

Song I'd like to learn now, is the Os Mutantes version of a song by Veloso called "Baby" rhythm is easy, chords aren't coming to me.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-20 11:09 AM (#197003 - in reply to #196980)

Actually, my first guitar song was some classical tune by Fernando Sor... I then moved through the list: CSN&Y, Fleetwood Mac ("Future Games" original lineup), Cat Stevens, Quicksilver Messenger Service, The Who (Who's Next?), Grateful Dead, James Gang, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, Gordon Lightfoot, Earl Scruggs banjo tunes, ..... now most of my listening and attempted emulation is of Alison Krauss and Union Station.... also Classic Hymns... as for tune I want to learn.... anything by AKUS (better than I can now)

tim
Eman
Posted 2004-01-20 3:15 PM (#197004 - in reply to #196980)

Started playing as a result of the Beatles, therefore learned She Loves You and I Wanna Hold Your Hand first. First accomplishment was playing Classical Gas. Funny, I can't do it justice now, 25+ years later.

Currently working on Stairway after all these years. It's painful on the fingers and I think I almost bit through my lip.

I'm capable of outbursts of talent on rare occasions. Too bad they're mixed in with overwhelming mediocrity. That comes from a few 5-year intermissions and lots of recreational chemicals. C&S now but I play guitar kind of like that pianist character played in the movie by Jeffrey Rush. You know, the guy that wanted to be the best but blew his cerebral cortex during practice?

After Stairway, I want to learn the intro to Bungalow Bill.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)