The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I was ripped off I need your help
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 9:57 AM (#196883)
Subject: I was ripped off I need your help

In September I purchased a guitar on e bay here is a link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2560660470

I have been tring to get this guitar but it looks like it will not happen.

I sent a cashier's check for $1325 plus a ups call tag worth $30 to get this guitar and have recieved nothing.

The check was cashed, I contacted the bank they did nothing, I contacted the post office for postal fraud, they sent a letter to her p o box, I have called many times to her t mobile cell phone and even if she answers she just hangs up.

Here is her information

Dana DeAngelis Tint
po box 140826
staten island NY 10314

her cell phone is 917-916-2111

her e mail is gothicdream315@aol.com

her former in laws
Grace and william Tint
221 E 25th st
riveria beach fla
561-881-0193
claim they do not know her whereabouts but I am not so sure.

I need your help. If you have a cell phone with free nights and weekend fill up Dana's voice mail. let's also try to fill up her mail box so she has to respond.

here are some im's that I had with her even though she claims it was not her. this makes an interesting read....

Alpep [1:07 AM]: hey dana you have been out of touch
Gothicdream315 [1:08 AM]: this isn't Dana. who is this? Dana is in the hospitol and is not coming out. she was in a terrible accident. who is this? a friend?
Alpep [1:08 AM]: I purchased a guitar from her and she never sent it
Alpep [1:09 AM]: I paid her i have the cancelled cashiers check
Alpep [1:09 AM]: I am sorry to hear that she had an accident
Gothicdream315 [1:09 AM]: oh, ok.
Gothicdream315 [1:09 AM]: let me try and help you with this
Alpep [1:09 AM]: i wondered why she did not contact me via e mail or phone
Alpep [1:09 AM]: i appreciate it
Alpep [1:10 AM]: I sent her a ups call tag all she had to do was put the tag on the box take it to ups and send it
Gothicdream315 [1:10 AM]: i don't know much about what she was selling but I'm sure I can look things up. I am checking her e mail now. I finally got into her account.
Gothicdream315 [1:10 AM]: ok
Alpep [1:11 AM]: eBay item 2560660470 (Ends Sep-29-03 15:16:25 PDT) - Ovation Adama 78 Hand Cra Alpep [1:11 AM]: that is the link to the auction
Gothicdream315 [1:11 AM]: ok, thank you
Alpep [1:11 AM]: I thought it was strange she called me said she had the check and was going to ship the guitar I did think that something was wrong
Alpep [1:12 AM]: was she hurt badly?
Gothicdream315 [1:13 AM]: yes, real bad.
Alpep [1:14 AM]: I am sorry to hear that I hope she is able to recover.
Gothicdream315 [1:14 AM]: I will have to get into her apartment to look for the UPS tag
Alpep [1:14 AM]: please tell her I wish her a fast recovery
Gothicdream315 [1:14 AM]: I will get over there tomorrow. I have to get the key from her mom
Gothicdream315 [1:15 AM]: I would but she is not conscious
Alpep [1:15 AM]: I sent her the check and the ups tag in a priority mail envelope
Alpep [1:15 AM]: oh God I am so sorry.
Alpep [1:15 AM]: I can send you my contact information
Gothicdream315 [1:18 AM]: yes, e mail it to this e mail address. I have the password now so I can check the mail
Alpep [1:19 AM]: OK
Gothicdream315 [1:19 AM]: I'm sure I will find the tag. I will e mail you monday or sunday night. I will go over in the afternoon tomorrow
Alpep [1:19 AM]: thanks I appreciate it. I really feel bad
Alpep [1:20 AM]: i was angry because she did not get in touch with me but I also thought that something tragic may happen
Alpep [1:20 AM]: have happened
Alpep [1:20 AM]: she told me she was doing a video for her band so I thought may be she was out on tour or something
Gothicdream315 [1:22 AM]: it's ok. I will help get the merchandise she owes out. I will take care of yours first.
Alpep [1:23 AM]: i sent you the e mail
Alpep [1:23 AM]: thanks I appreciate it
Gothicdream315 [1:23 AM]: ok, thank you for the help. I will be in touch
Alpep [1:23 AM]: thanks
Gothicdream315 [1:24 AM]: I have to go now. I will speak with you in a few days.
Gothicdream315 signed off at 1:24 AM

Alpep [10:20 PM]: hello I am still trying to get in touch with Dana and or family
Alpep [10:21 PM]: I would like to send a card to the hospital
Gothicdream315 [10:22 PM]: this is dana's aunt. who is this?
Gothicdream315 [10:23 PM]: i apologize for typing slowly. i am not good on the internet
Alpep [10:23 PM]: I bought a guitar from her on e bay it was never sent. I understand she is in the hspt
Gothicdream315 [10:23 PM]: are you a friend?
Alpep [10:23 PM]: someone said they would see that I get the guitar but it was never sent.
Gothicdream315 [10:24 PM]: oh yes. her mom has a slip and they are shipping it out this week
Alpep [10:24 PM]: That is fantastic. I am so sorry to hear of her injury
Alpep [10:24 PM]: can you tell me where I can send a card?
Gothicdream315 [10:24 PM]: it was in her file cabinet. she finally found it
Alpep [10:25 PM]: what hspt is she in?
Gothicdream315 [10:25 PM]: that's is ok. i'm happy she found it. she was worried she wouldn't
Gothicdream315 [10:26 PM]: she is in University Hospitol
Alpep [10:26 PM]: where? I am from south jersey
Gothicdream315 [10:27 PM]: I am not sure of the address but i am sure it is listed
Alpep [10:27 PM]: If you tell me the location I can look up the address
Gothicdream315 [10:27 PM]: Staten Island sorry
Gothicdream315 signed off at 10:27 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 10:32 AM (#196884 - in reply to #196883)
Subject: Re: I was ripped off I need your help

Shit Al, that really sucks!!

Judging by this bitch's auction history, she seems to make a habit of doing this.

THIS is why I'll never by a guitar off eBay!!!

I'll send her some nice messages/e-mails.

I'm also thinking of printing up some postcards with the eBay picture of the guitar with "SEND IT!! stamped over it in red.

E-mails she can ignore, phone messages she can shut off. Unloading a shitload of the SAME postcard clogging her P.O. box day after day should piss her off to no end!
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-20 10:34 AM (#196885 - in reply to #196883)

Al,

I sent the email as requested... you might want to contact these folks: http://www.newyork.bbb.org/

tim
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 11:08 AM (#196886 - in reply to #196883)

The Better Business Bureau falls under the "tits on a nun" category. All they'll do is take your complaint, keep it on file, and then post that complaint IF and WHEN someone else decides to check if a business has had a complaint file against them.

How many people here have checked with the BBB BEFORE they decided to buy something????
I know I haven't.

Oh yeah, they'll ALSO send the business a letter notifying them that a complaint is "on file" against them. Doesn't seem like this broad'd be phased by that.

Al, you may have to resort to Small Claims Court (. . I know . . ).

. . . either that or . . if ya' wanna' throw a little more money into the mix . . . I know some people 'dat know sum people . . 'dat . . . y'know . . . . . . . . :D
peterbright
Posted 2004-01-20 11:22 AM (#196887 - in reply to #196883)

That's quite a chuck of change to be out of. Good luck.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-01-20 12:19 PM (#196888 - in reply to #196883)

hmmmm... Better Business Bureau... no teeth, very little roar... figures...

sounds like a job for "Uncle Vito" aka Moody P.I. for sure...

tim
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-01-20 12:32 PM (#196889 - in reply to #196883)

The BBB is only effective when the seller or provider of services wants to protect their business image or avoid litigation (automakers.) I was a Senior Arbitrator for the BBB, as a volunteer. Doesn't work for non-members and general scumbags.

What about forcing issue with local DA/City Atty as to criminal...

The listing has Buyer Protection...not much but creates formal complaint and some funds.

Gee, and I'm upset about a couple of finish cracks...surprised you have been quiet this long...
BrianT
Posted 2004-01-20 1:08 PM (#196890 - in reply to #196883)

Ebay is such a great tool but this is the kind of crap that will kill it for everybody else doing honest trades. Have you complained to Ebay? I am curious what Ebay's response was.

If an Ebay buyer gets 3 non-paying-bidder complaints, Ebay terminates the account. It's hard to believe that this seller still is allowed to post auctions with all the negative feedback she has. And it's not just poor communications or disputes about item quality, she is flat-out taking people's money and not sending them anything, and doing it multiple times!!

Sorry for your bad luck, I hope it all works out. But let it be a warning to everyone else, know your seller, read the feedback. And even though it costs a little more money, I only trade through Paypal so I have some extra protection.

Good luck, I'll hammer the phone number and drop a few emails.
Alina
Posted 2004-01-20 1:08 PM (#196891 - in reply to #196883)

That seller is "No longer a registered user" on ebay. That is bad news. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Here is an idea: The seller bought ebay item #3139340323 from a seller with the ID 'dontwo' back in October. 'dontwo' has a really good feedback rating (buying and selling) and can probably appreciate the need for honest sellers on ebay. Contact 'dontwo' and see if he/she can help you get in touch with the person who cheated you. Perhaps she paid by Credit Card or Check and 'dontwo' can help you get in touch with someone who can help you.

Here is an item listed by 'dontwo'. Just click on the "Ask seller a question" like at the top to send him/her an email.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4697&item=3170908925

Also, see if you can get in touch with some of the other ebay'ers who were cheated by this seller. Perhaps someone else has had more luck than you.

Good luck!

Alina
Alina
Posted 2004-01-20 1:13 PM (#196892 - in reply to #196883)

One more idea... Did she give you that PO Box for you to send payment? If so, she may have used the postal service in the commission of a crime (fraud). Call your local post office and tell them what occurred. Perhaps the postal inspector can get involved. They know her home address (it is on the PO Box registration).

Alina
alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 1:25 PM (#196893 - in reply to #196883)

alina
how did you get that info? I cannot get the search function to work
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 1:29 PM (#196894 - in reply to #196883)

I got it just by clicking on "gothic. . . " under Seller Information.
Alina
Posted 2004-01-20 1:35 PM (#196895 - in reply to #196883)

I went to the auction link that you provided. Under "Seller Information" it says "gothicnights315(187)". Click on the "187" to go to the feedback page for this user. It takes you here:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=gothicnights315

That page lists all of gothic's feedback from buying and selling on ebay (along with the ebay item number and ebay IDs of the buyers/sellers). You can see that the 2nd entry is from 'dontwo'.

If you want to contact 'dontwo', click on his ebay ID on that page. It will take you to dontwo's member page. This page will show you that he has a lot of positive feedback. Now click on the "Contact Member" button (top right) to send him an email!

You can repeat this process to contact anyone who interacted with gothic (buyers and sellers) to see if anyone can help you out. My suggestion would be to start with the people who left POSITIVE feedback, since they might have a transaction history such as credit card info or bank info. In fact, if gothic purchased something she may have provided a shipping address other than the PO Box that she gave to you.

I hope that this helps.

Alina "I am not a private investigator, but I play one on OFC" ;)
Alina
Posted 2004-01-20 1:37 PM (#196896 - in reply to #196883)

PS. I know that at this point it is too late, but your experience (getting ripped off) is the exact reason why I will only buy stuff on ebay with a credit card (via PayPal, usually). If anything goes wrong, at least I can get help from the credit card company. In fact, I bought my Ovation from an ebay seller this way. ;)

Alina
Billy Blaze
Posted 2004-01-20 1:39 PM (#196897 - in reply to #196883)

what a worthless peice of shit bitch, damn that makes me mad!!! I feel like I was the one ripped off! I agree people like this are going to be the ones that ruin e-bay for everyone. I think that EBay should do something about it, if a person gets ripped off once they should be banned why give them 3 times? I will do what I can to nag the bitch. what a shame sorry dude
Eman
Posted 2004-01-20 2:31 PM (#196898 - in reply to #196883)

Al,

Sorry to hear that this happened to you. It's the ultimate Ebay nightmare. I agree with the PI route, unless you have time and won't let it get to you.

Does your business have insurance that covers this type of thing? Hopefully it's not a total loss.

Since OFC has such widespread circulation, maybe there's someone close to this woman's location that could pay a visit, maybe watch her PO box. Even if you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip, sometimes just trying is it's own therapy. I think you have a lot of readers that would enjoy watching the blood come out. Right Billy? Then, of course, we'd pick up our O's and play a little dirge.

Hope it works out so that what you end up with is even better than your original expectations. It can happen.

Don.
Nils
Posted 2004-01-20 2:57 PM (#196899 - in reply to #196883)

I sent the bitch an email she ain't gunna like. I'll keep sending 'em. I assume you're trying to get your money back at this point? I can't imagine her doing a reasonable job of packing & shipping at this point.
It's a nice looking guitar Al, but personally I wouldn't bid on anything that was being sold by someone with that kind of feedback, no matter what it was. I stand by my 98% positive rule....

Btw, I've had TWO deadbeat bidders in a row now myself. Ebay is starting to suck.

Question: If you turn in non-paying bidders can they leave you negative feedback?

/\/\/
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 3:15 PM (#196900 - in reply to #196883)

Al;
I got a friend coming out here to NYC from CA this weekend. What's say you come up Sunday, we'll all have some drinks downtown and then take a little ride on the Staten Island Ferry??

. . . . I'll bring the chains. ;)
alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 5:20 PM (#196901 - in reply to #196883)

when I bid her feedback was good it went to hell after I bought the guitar.
I need an address the po box does me no good.

I talked to her several times and when she got my check she told me she was going to send the guitar. I thought she was trustworthy she mentioned she was doing a video for vh1.

this whole thing stinks
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 5:25 PM (#196902 - in reply to #196883)

". . . this whole thing stinks . . ."

Staten Island??
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-20 5:29 PM (#196903 - in reply to #196883)

I'll say it stinks! I've purchased two guitars off eBoy, both of which had more problems than was stated... I don't think I'll buy another from there, unless it's from one of you fine folks...
Good luck on this one Al...

Dale
cliff
Posted 2004-01-20 5:53 PM (#196904 - in reply to #196883)

If eBay can't provide some type of restitution, can't they at LEAST be able to provide you with some viable information (albeit lastKNOWN information) on the person who sells and doesn't pay? I think maybe Alina's right and the "mail fraud" route might be the way to go.
alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 5:58 PM (#196905 - in reply to #196883)

I sent a mail fraud report well they just sent a letter to her PO box!!!!!!!!!!!!!

e bay is useless. they don't want to get involved it may cost them some time effort and money away from their millions of profits.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-20 6:53 PM (#196906 - in reply to #196883)

Interesting....it's like in October she decided to flip the switch and take the money and run....3 negatives to that point, but then most feedbacks are negative after that....sure wish I could check the auctions she got negatives on to see if they are mostly big money items.

Go for it, all who want to flood her e-mail and voice mail, but I can't believe it will make any difference....I bet she has sold the guitar elsewhere already, if she ever had it. And she's already proven she doesn't give a you-know-what. Al, if you have the guitar serial number, I'd post it to the membership in case someone runs across it. That may allow you to backtrack to her.

Al, you are so right, eBay doesn't give a flying fig....it is heavily biased towards the seller, and they absolutely do NOT want to get involved.

Nils, the answer is YES. Unless you are the seller who puts the third nail in their "coffin" and gets them banned. I've done that twice now myself.....been lucky.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
bobfrith
Posted 2004-01-20 7:16 PM (#196907 - in reply to #196883)

Al,

If you have not yet done so, go to "Contact Info" under "Find Members". It will send an e-mail to both the seller and the buyer, giving you the address she used when she registered with eBay, which could possibly be a street address. I have found valuable information through this source.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)