The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Legend LX or Adamas CVT/SLT?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

BrianT
Posted 2004-01-20 2:36 PM (#196863)
Subject: Legend LX or Adamas CVT/SLT?

I want a Legend LX so bad, love that burgandy colored one. I went to musician's friend and looked, $999, free shipping, no sales tax...Hmmmm. I sat with my finger quivering over the "buy it now" key. Can't quite bring myself to do it ....yet.

I still might want an Adamas instead. Everyone on these boards always says play them first, it's so hard to do when the local shops don't stock the models I am interested in. But everyone who has played the Legend LX is very impressed. I have a 1985 1717 legend that I have just about wore out but it has been a great guitar.

So what do you think, should buy the Legend LX or dig deeper for the Adamas. I play priamarily unplugged, looking for great sound, great playability and a durable long-lasting intrument
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-01-20 2:39 PM (#196864 - in reply to #196863)
Subject: Re: Legend LX or Adamas CVT/SLT?

IMHO it is unfair to compare a wood top to a carbon fiber
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-01-20 4:16 PM (#196865 - in reply to #196863)

Legend LX. Warmer tone for acoustic playing. I've played them. Buy it. You won't regret it.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-01-20 6:03 PM (#196866 - in reply to #196863)

I haven't played the Legend LX, but I have played the CVT....my belief is that this is a win-win situation....you won't lose with either. YOU have to decide whether you personally prefer a warmer tone(Legend LX) or a cooler, but still sonically impressive tone(Adamas).

IMHO, the "durable, long-lasting" want tips it for the Adamas, if you're willing to pony up the extra money. I dunno, has anyone seen a crack in an Adamas top? (that wasn't from getting bashed or stepped on) Just curious.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Celebrity CC01 Spruce Top 6-String
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-01-20 6:12 PM (#196867 - in reply to #196863)

What a wonderful dilemma to have... Aint it fun?
I LOVE the sound my Adamas SMT has, wish I could do it justice...

Dale
MWoody
Posted 2004-01-20 9:46 PM (#196868 - in reply to #196863)

Discontinue your cable, learn to read yesterday's newspaper, drop the cell phone and buy both!

If you want two Adamii there's always that extra kidney! :eek:
Bradley
Posted 2004-01-20 9:58 PM (#196869 - in reply to #196863)

I dunno, has anyone seen a crack in an Adamas top? (that wasn't from getting bashed or stepped on) Just curious.

Roger

Yes, mine does. I bought it that way off a guy on EBay. He didn't say how he cracked it, but that it had been fixed by Ovation.

Don't know, but it still sounds great.

Bradley
stonebobbo
Posted 2004-01-20 11:07 PM (#196870 - in reply to #196863)

Brian, come to the factory tour. Play all of them and then decide.

Who knows, maybe alpep will arrange for a good supply of inventory and sit outside the door with a big Buy It Now button on him. :)
Standingovation
Posted 2004-01-21 1:09 AM (#196871 - in reply to #196863)

Tough choice (nice to have options). I only played it for a new minutes in a very loud environment, but I was very impressed with the Legend LX. IF (and I stress the word IF) I was shopping for a guitar right now, that one would be very hard to beat for the price. Dave
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-02-13 8:42 PM (#196872 - in reply to #196863)

I put my finger on the Buy Now button. It should arrive next week. Anyone have one of these babies?
Tommy M
peterbright
Posted 2004-02-13 9:23 PM (#196873 - in reply to #196863)

Give us a report after it arrives.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-02-13 9:25 PM (#196874 - in reply to #196863)

I just went thru this. For years, I thought I wanted a Balladeer - then saw the LX models on the net. Thought to myself, this must be the time.

Till I went to play one. Nobdody has em in any store locally.

Here's what happened though. I got to play a textured top Adamas, and was spoiled. Played a few new and used Custom Legends. They're really nice, not as nice as the old Adamas, but nice. By total chance, I got to play an SMT that was in a shop for adjustment after the owner switched string gauges. He let me play it. Very nice indeed. I'd say a close 2nd to the older Adamas, and to my old ears, even better than the Custom Legend... maybe. Ya gotta consider it had new strings and all... and was gonna sound brighter and fuller - more alive because of it.

So, I figured that they probably sound equally good - although a little different (the SMT and CL that is).

I ended up getting the Adamas because of a few things. The OP50 preamp has a notch filter while the OP-Pro doesn't. Although I like the tuner on the OP-Pro better....the OP50 has XLR balanced line output as well as standard output. Hate to say the preamp sold me on one vs the other, but it was a factor. The other factor is the humidity/dry thing that happens here in Florida. I felt the carbon-fibre top would be better. Necks on the two are similar, although the LX models probably have it on better stability at the upper frets. Time will tell on this.

So thats it, and why I got an Adamas (from AL)
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-02-14 9:50 PM (#196875 - in reply to #196863)

Let me join in on this one.

I just saw and played my first Legend LX today. Beautiful burgandy top. SWEEET! Now mind you, I have a Collector's 2000 -- which I'm taking to the same store for a neck adjustment Tuesday. I'm gonna play them both side-by-side. If I like the Legend LX better, I'll get me one! Then, of course, you might find the 2K for sale here. :D
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)